what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Re: what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Post by admin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Have you seen the cliffs in the lakes region?

There is a small beach or bay typicaly surrounded by cliffs hundred+ feet high through pretty much the coast of the entire region. South of porto montt, mountains meet the ocean. Yet people still like to build on the narrow low lands.

Well if it makes you feel any better, i live on an inland lake, at about 30 meters above sea level about 20 meters above lake level. You would think a lake would be safe.

I am in a tsunami zone.

Frutillar had a tsunami at about the turn of the last century, when a land slide sheared off a good chunk of the osorno volcano that is directly east of us.

At the base of the osorno the lake is about 300 meters deep. On our side it is like 2 to 10 meters deep. The entire town was moved back from the lake about 100 - 200 meters, and the lake level rose permently after the wave, to where the beach is now. I always wondered if there are still foundations or ogher artifacts out under the water. Might make for an interesting dive to see.

It really does not keep me up at night.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:20 pm

nwdiver wrote:......oh yeh the quake moved several streets in Anchorage down hill 30-40m....don't worry be happy.
I know, that's another thing to keep in mind. Your elevation might not be a constant.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
nwdiver wrote:......oh yeh the quake moved several streets in Anchorage down hill 30-40m....don't worry be happy.
I know, that's another thing to keep in mind. Your elevation might not be a constant.
I've mentioned before that the Coquimbo quake changed the elevation of my previous digs in Llolleo.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
I've mentioned before that the Coquimbo quake changed the elevation of my previous digs in Llolleo.
I remember that. It's one of the reasons I was aware of it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:30 pm

admin wrote:Well if it makes you feel any better, i live on an inland lake, at about 30 meters above sea level about 20 meters above lake level. You would think a lake would be safe.

I am in a tsunami zone.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I'm from Michigan, and don't remember ever hearing about any lake tsunamis. But apparently they do happen.
admin wrote:It really does not keep me up at night.
These things don't keep me up at night either. Especially after the 8+ earthquake we had a couple years ago, where nothing really happened in my neighborhood, except we lost power for a couple hours. But I know it's just denial, since I'm living in Chile, less than a mile from the coast:) Logically though, I know these things do happen. And it's easier for me to minimize my risks now, before I invest much in a particular location.