what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
thisisreallycomplicated

what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:54 pm

If you're near the coast (within a couple kms) in Chile, how high above sea level do you need to be, to be safe from a tsunami? I'm mainly concerned about tsunamis caused by earthquakes, not something like a giant meteor. I know it varies a lot from place to place. For example, where I'm at now in Coquimbo, is supposedly protected by the bay. And I'm not aware of any tsunamis that have even made it to ruta 5, which is pretty close to sea level here, and only a couple minutes walk from the beach. But I'm trying to get a general idea what would be safe, if you're not in a protected area. I've read that 30 meters above sea level is generally safe, but I don't think it was specifically for Chile.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

frozen-north

Re: what elevation is generally safe from tsunamis?

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm

In Coquimbo it seems that 30 metres would be more than enough:

“Las mayores alturas están en calle Baquedano de Coquimbo con seis metros sobre el nivel del mar, en el barrio Inglés, con cinco metros, ....

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/los-di ... iv-region/
In Hilo Bay you might want to be a bit higher:
Hilo Bay is sometimes called "the tsunami capital of the United States". The bay's topography steers tsunamis to Hilo from earthquakes in active areas such as Chile and the Aleutian Islands.

The April 1, 1946, tsunami from the 1946 Aleutian Islands earthquake killed 96 people on Hilo bay. May 20, 1960, a tsunami originating from the 1960 Valdivia earthquake in Chile killed 61 people in Hilo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilo_Bay

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:52 pm

If I stay in the same area I'm at now, I think I'm ok. And I can walk around, and look at the tsunami signs. But I might move farther south, and I'm looking for a way to rule out places that aren't high up enough, without having to go and look at each one in person. I've been looking at online ads for land, and some look interesting, except they might be too close to sea level in unprotected areas.

I hope something like this can't happen here:
"1958 Lituya Bay megatsunami"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Litu ... egatsunami
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Site appears to be down right now but when it comes up, look for different area maps FWIW:

http://repositoriodigitalonemi.cl/web/d ... mit=Buscar
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Site appears to be down right now but when it comes up, look for different area maps FWIW:

http://repositoriodigitalonemi.cl/web/d ... mit=Buscar
Thanks. I'll check later, to see if it's back up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 pm

If bachelet is president, you might want to check out some of those apartments at the ski resorts. Watchout for avalanches.

I have seen hills over 30 meters (100 feet) high in the 9th region that were stripped of trees after the 2010 tszunami.

How high is safe however has so many variables they have trouble modeling it with super computers. Strech that over the entire southern coast of chile and it is pretty meaningless guestimate.

On the list of things to worry about, pretty waisted effort. Just get the property with best view. It probably is tsunami proof due to its height overlooking the ocean.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 pm

admin wrote:I have seen hills over 30 meters (100 feet) high in the 9th region that were stripped of trees after the 2010 tszunami.
I was doing some research today on some of the smaller towns near the coast. And I kept seeing articles about how each one got devastated in 2010. Before today, I wasn't too concerned. But now I'm taking it more seriously, because it's going to happen again.
admin wrote:How high is safe however has so many variables they have trouble modeling it with super computers. Strech that over the entire southern coast of chile and it is pretty meaningless guestimate.
Yeah, that's why I'm just trying to get a general idea. Once I see something that I really like, I'll research it more thoroughly. Right now, I just want to rule out places that are obviously not safe.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:34 am

If that site comes back up, they have well researched maps done for many locales on the coast.

There are other factors that can also minimize the tsunami size and one of them is if there is a depression immediately offshore that essentially sucks the energy out of an incoming wave and San Antonio is a good example of this in 2010 when there was a tsunami immediately to the south in Llo Lleo but agian, like in 1985, just a temporary rise in the water level in the port itself. I believe the Pichilemu area also just had a significant temporary rise but not a killer crashing wave.

Then if you view the dunes of Con-Con, Cartagena, Matanzas, one has to wonder how those happened. Examining Matanzas from a distance, it looks like it may definitely have been caused by a catastrophic ancient event.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:58 am

yea, the 100 foot wave, was at the mouth of bay where a river flowed out between two large hills, that "channeled" the wave up the river. It picked a house off the beach, took it 5 miles in land, over a bridge, and set it down. The house was in pretty good shape, considering it just had an abrupt change of address.

We seen it all over the south. You have a piece of beach completely devastated, then a few meters away, something completely untouched. Get some altitude and you will be fine.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 am

Despite thoughtful choice of location, if worse comes to worse and there is a tsunami there, the altitude of the home you are planning gives you a shorter distance to travel to reach personal safety.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am

Don't forget the best laid plans...probably the tsunami alert will go off while you are away from the house in a tsunami zone shopping or doing some other daily chore...

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:If that site comes back up, they have well researched maps done for many locales on the coast.
It's back up now, and looks helpful. Thanks.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:There are other factors that can also minimize the tsunami size and one of them is if there is a depression immediately offshore that essentially sucks the energy out of an incoming wave and San Antonio is a good example of this in 2010 when there was a tsunami immediately to the south in Llo Lleo but agian, like in 1985, just a temporary rise in the water level in the port itself. I believe the Pichilemu area also just had a significant temporary rise but not a killer crashing wave.
Wikipedia says:
"Pichilemu was "devastated" after the earthquake and tsunami struck"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pich ... ke#Tsunami
It's one of the smaller towns I'm considering, but I'm having second thoughts because of that word "devastated" :shock: