Foundation Construction in Region 7 (Maule)

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Foundation Construction in Region 7 (Maule)

Post by nikotromus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am

Are concrete slabs used as foundations for homes in Regions 7? I have read that in the south, houses need to be on concrete pillars to guard against moisture, but I don't know if Region 7 is considered the 'South' in Chile. I will be visiting Talca in a couple weeks so I am sure I will get an idea of the foundation construction once I arrive.

Thanks in advance!

Space Cat

Re: Foundation Construction in Region 7 (Maule)

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am

The south starts from the Bío Bío river.

Also...
nikotromus wrote:Chili
pudu_triggered.jpg
pudu_triggered.jpg (76.62 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

Son of a gun! Sorry, fresh off of the boat.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:49 pm

nikotromus wrote:Are concrete slabs used as foundations for homes in Regions 7? I have read that in the south, houses need to be on concrete pillars to guard against moisture, but I don't know if Region 7 is considered the 'South' in Chile. I will be visiting Talca in a couple weeks so I am sure I will get an idea of the foundation construction once I arrive.

Thanks in advance!
Not even sure where to start with that one.

A. that would be ridiculous.

B. that would be ridiculous.

Concrete slabs are used all over the country as a first floor. Now, how often they do the concrete slab correctly, is another problem. They often don't insulate before pouring the concrete, don't put rebar in the slab, they don't seal it after it is poured, they don't level it before it is hard correctly, and ultimately they fail to attach the structure to the slab. All that said, they are still one of the best foundation in the country, simply because with all the errors that they make, they still just work.

Who is telling you that?

C. Houses DO NOT have to be on pillars, anywhere in the country. That is a short cut done by crappy maestros with no knowledge of what end of a hammer a house is built with.

Even at that, 99% of the time, when building with pillars, they don't do it incorrectly. Either house falls off its foundation with a good shake, or the house starts settling in to the ground after about 10-20 years, causing the whole structure to start tearing itself apart. Even if they don't you get a nice bouncy floor effect, or second floors that feel like you are on a boat when the wind blows.

No one builds on pillars to keep the moisture out. In fact, they are some of the most humid ways to build, without sealing the wood underside of the house above the pillars. Warm house attracts condensation from the ground and the air flowing under the house. It is ignorance that make people think somehow a house has to "breath". Open a window.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:30 pm

admin wrote:

C. Houses DO NOT have to be on pillars, anywhere in the country. That is a short cut done by crappy maestros with no knowledge of what end of a hammer a house is built with.

Even at that, 99% of the time, when building with pillars, they don't do it incorrectly. Either house falls off its foundation with a good shake, or the house starts settling in to the ground after about 10-20 years, causing the whole structure to start tearing itself apart. Even if they don't you get a nice bouncy floor effect, or second floors that feel like you are on a boat when the wind blows.

No one builds on pillars to keep the moisture out. In fact, they are some of the most humid ways to build, without sealing the wood underside of the house above the pillars. Warm house attracts condensation from the ground and the air flowing under the house. It is ignorance that make people think somehow a house has to "breath". Open a window.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
clue-clueless.jpg
clue-clueless.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
clueless.jpg
clueless.jpg (5.73 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

passport

Post by passport » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I'll echo what Admin said, in other words - if you want it done right, you'd do well to seek out a gringo builder who has moved to Chile and has experience with concrete foundation work.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 pm

I would favor a perimeter foundation that gets your floor up off the ground. It will be warmer and also leaves you with access to the plumbing underneath the house.

As for quality workmanship.....do it yourself, or make the effort to find a trustworthy foundation crew (no easy task).

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Admin - Thank you for the insights.

I don't know where I read that structures needed to be on pillars in the South (not that Region 7 is in the south apparently). Glad you set the record straight.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Admin - Thank you for the insights.

I don't know where I read that structures needed to be on pillars in the South (not that Region 7 is in the south apparently). Glad you set the record straight.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Another thing maestros forget to do ... put a vapor barrier between the concrete slab and the earth. Until I finally found a great contratista, my experiences with maestros were unwanted episodes from The Twilight Zone. On my first house renovation, I walked into a room where one of the young "maestros", barely out of his teens, was trying to hammer a screw into a wood frame. Another time a water tower was installed without cement footings to hold it in the ground. Yes, a strong wind blew the tower to the ground. Part of my arduous learning curve.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:19 am

cali_chile48 wrote:I would favor a perimeter foundation that gets your floor up off the ground. It will be warmer and also leaves you with access to the plumbing underneath the house.
BINGO!!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:37 am

nikotromus wrote:
They don't NEED to be on "pillars" ( called " apoyos") but as stated above, makes them more accessible to the plumbing , more comfortable to live in even in the 14 region and flexible when the ground shakes. Is personal preference.