Could a Lawyer and Family Member be Scamming Us?

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Gloria

Re: Could a Lawyer and Family Member be Scamming Us?

Post by Gloria » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm

canuck44 wrote:. Her parents live in Chile and so does her brother. She trusts them all.
So why in God's name you bother to come to a forum when you have close relatives that can easily do the search? Have you ever stop to think that going thru the "grape vine" first would be what makes more sense? It just shows how the so called "generation X" is the brain dead lazy asses generation in my book!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
canuck44 wrote:
My question is, how do we find out if my wife owns any property in Chile?
Have someone that you trust in Chile ( I know, will be a hard task) to go diligently to check at CONSERVADOR DE BIENES RAICES with her RUT# in the area where supposedly the property is if it shows up there. If it doesn't it could be only a bluff.

" That relative is a lawyer so maybe he crafted and forged documents on his own" BINGO!
https://www.conservador.cl/portal/
In another thread active a few years ago we discussed the (lack of) veracity (accuracy, reliability) of many property transfer and ownership documents.
Amongst them, I commented that a relative of my wife with a lot of experience finding, buying and developing real estate in the Santiago area commented that it is not uncommon for there to be errors (intentional and unintentional) in property transfer and ownership documents, even of apartments in Santiago (which you would except to be the more precise than any other).
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:53 pm

canuck44: In case you do not know it, "admin" of this forum and his wife own and operate Spencer Global.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 am

Sell the property ;)
It's all about the wine.

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah!! I would also sell it :D

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:01 pm

No idea what happened, but when buying I've seen the the rules a little loose, but they tighten when you sell and the buying party wants the owner in front of a Chilean Official to witness their signature, have a lawyer find out if your wife owns anything and get a % of the sale's price in exchange for cooperation, of course your cash is up front..........
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:54 am

nwdiver wrote:No idea what happened, but when buying I've seen the the rules a little loose, but they tighten when you sell and the buying party wants the owner in front of a Chilean Official to witness their signature, have a lawyer find out if your wife owns anything and get a % of the sale's price in exchange for cooperation, of course your cash is up front..........
You can not sell or transfer a property in Chile, without a notary public. Period. It is not valid sale. That is apart from a whole bunch of other formalities required to have a valid property transfer.

In a common law country, people can transfer their interest in a property on the back of napkin over lunch. Not in Chile. It regularly get's foreigners from common law countries in to trouble, because people think they have a valid transfer just signing any old contract (e.g. the gult's gulch expat scam from a few years back).

Anyone that tells you don't need a notary public to buy / sell a property in Chile, is scamming you or is just totally ignorant of the process (which is functionally equivalent).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.