Housing market situation

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
at46

Re: Housing market situation

Post by at46 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm

US and Chilean property markets are probably as different as it gets. Every conceivable metric you can come up with gets completely reversed in Chile (because it's the other end of the globe): geography, demographics, economy, geopolitics, you name it. It's like investing on Mars. Which makes it kinda fun when you get it right :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:07 pm
US and Chilean property markets are probably as different as it gets. Every conceivable metric you can come up with gets completely reversed in Chile (because it's the other end of the globe): geography, demographics, economy, geopolitics, you name it. It's like investing on Mars. Which makes it kinda fun when you get it right :)
Not at all. I can tell you what land on Mars is worth. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm

at46 wrote:
Seriously though, I get your point. It takes some practice to get the feel for it. Most of it is getting a handle on the culture first. What is it that Chileans view as "valuable"?

From that perspective flows everything else like the Chilean real estate "force". Things like demographics, population shifts, politics, economy, etc, all need to be viewed through that cultural lens of real estate "value".

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Baltimore

Post by Baltimore » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm
at46 wrote:
Seriously though, I get your point. It takes some practice to get the feel for it. Most of it is getting a handle on the culture first. What is it that Chileans view as "valuable"?

From that perspective flows everything else like the Chilean real estate "force". Things like demographics, population shifts, politics, economy, etc, all need to be viewed through that cultural lens of real estate "value".
....so not every property that is on sale in Chile (particularly in some areas in Santiago) is necessarily a good investment, that is the only point I make. It takes all the skills you mention to really see where the good deals are and what is going to give you a good ROI. The fact that the driving forces behind property values in the US are different than those in Chile does not imply that any purchase in Chile is a good deal. Just as anywhere in the world, some properties are just overpriced, but not all of them.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 pm

Santiago is actually pretty easy. Buy anything within 5 min walk of a metro station and you're golden. The Metro people have done all the research for you.

Baltimore

Post by Baltimore » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 pm
Santiago is actually pretty easy. Buy anything within 5 min walk of a metro station and you're golden. The Metro people have done all the research for you.
Buy anything within 5 min walk of a metro station....at any price? :shock:

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Baltimore wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 pm
at46 wrote:
Probe them. If they're firm, to me it's actually a good sign.

paladin

Post by paladin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:26 pm
Baltimore wrote:
at46 wrote:
It’s not as simple as you may think. I can give various examples where following that theory will result in a poor investment.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 am

paladin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 pm
at46 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:26 pm
Baltimore wrote:
at46 wrote:
It’s not as simple as you may think. I can give various examples where following that theory will result in a poor investment.
Great! Sounds like you and Baltimore should talk. I feel it might be a start of a beautiful friendship, if you can just get out of your garage in Providencia :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm

soyena

Post by soyena » Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm
6% rise in prices in apartments:

https://www.df.cl/noticias/empresas/con ... 45315.html
Where does the money come from? I don't see a rise in basic incomes, investments from abroad? Honestly I find recent prices in Santiago crazy. Is the economy getting better without me knowing? I must go out more I guess

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 07, 2019 7:10 am

4% rise in gdp last year, 3.5 is the projection for this year. highest wage gains are going to be in Santiago and the central region.

so, 6% increase in housing prices is not that crazy considering the economy.

the head of socovesa, the housing development company, in their yearly report described it as "urban densification" that is going on in cities all across chile.

I don't have an exact number, but this first quarter, with just the big developers I follow, had something like over 3 billion dollars announced in investment this year in housing. most slated for apartment buildings.

there is also a new investment model going on. big banks are going in as partners in developments with big developers on projects, rather than just loaning money to finance the projects.

All that money sloshing around is however up gainst an ongoing problem of the permiting problems as cities have failed to get their urban planning sorted out. think i seen one developer say that the average permitting process had moved from like 8 months to 16 months. mostly due to all the half-baked laws and regulations that bachelet added last administration. all the developers are bitching about the lack of certainty in the permitting process.