US Pay|Spouse|Mortgage|Loans

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
el kayakista

US Pay|Spouse|Mortgage|Loans

Post by el kayakista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

Hello All

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this site and a lot has changed for me since I’ve first visited Chile as a whitewater kayaker. I’ve fallen in love with the country and the people especially down south. Long story short… I ended up wedding a Chilena and now we have a lovely daughter together.

We’re trying to think of options for us 3 and one of them is to be able to live in Chile. Now there’s no need to go into how difficult or near impossible for a gringo to sustain. I’ve gone through the real estate process in the past, which was a bit of a nightmare but fixed. I’m not concerned about that and I’m aware of the complete life style change; pay, health care, etc. I’m specifically looking for a personal experience in regards to leveraging my US pay in obtaining loans or mortgages through my wife/marriage. Has anyone attempted and successfully gone through that process? I tried searching All Chile, but nothing specific as to what I was looking for. I tried Googling it, but my Google-FU was weak.

Facts:
1. Married in USA
2. Marriage registered in Chile through Chilean Consulate in US
3. Husband’s earning is from US
4. Spouse's professional trade: Lawyer (in Chile)

admin
Site Admin

Re: US Pay|Spouse|Mortgage|Loans

Post by admin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 am

I don't think the banks here care so much about where the money comes from (as long as it is legal), but how much you declare regularly to the Chilean IRS. That seems to be the major criteria for issuing mortgages or any credit is your regular income.

so start declaring your income to the IRS. Probably best under your own name, as they like to see two incomes. Keep it regular.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

el kayakista

Post by el kayakista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

hey Charles

i think you're right about them not caring where the money is coming from. i particularly don't like to use my own money especially if i can use someone else's money. aside from that... i would have to assume that in order for one to start declaring my US income to the Chile IRS, then i would need to have some sort of status there; temp residence, perm residency, etc? which means i would need to be in country for something like this to occur.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:49 pm

yea, you got to be here and have residency (RUT number); but, once your here start declaring immediately, even if you don't owe any tax. You got to have a bank account also.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:06 pm

I don't have any Chilean bank account but I got the SII.cl login and password by visiting their office and now their site says that I don't owe anything (less than 3 years in the country) but can still declare if I want.

The form looks scary though. I hope I will not screw it up. xP

el kayakista

Post by el kayakista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Charles

you mentioned "Probably best under your own name, as they like to see two incomes. Keep it regular.". have you seen it or is it possible to not keep it regular? as in leveraging the local national spouse?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

I guess you can do it that way, but who knows what the magic computers at the banks think is relevant. At the least your wife will look richer to the bank. :D

Don't have the current thresh-hold is off-hand, but you can declare quite a bit of income before you need to pay taxes. They give it back at the end of the year.

I might caution that it is probably more hassle than it is worth until you are living in Chile.

The whole point is to build credit, by building an income history in Chile.

el kayakista

Post by el kayakista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:37 pm

need to piggy back off something/someone until i can get on my own two feet.