Price of Eucalyptus trees per hectare

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
at46

Re: Price of Eucalyptus trees per hectare

Post by at46 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Rhodolite wrote:What are the names of the kind of trees found in Chilean "old growth forests"?
http://www.profesorenlinea.cl/Chilegeog ... sChile.htm
http://www.uach.cl/externos/conicyt/mlo3.htm

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Thank you.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Eucalyptus Globulus... aka Tasmanian Bluegum, the blue denoting the leaf color of juvenile trees. Grown all over the world as a fast growing plantation timber but also as a fast growing firewood tree in poorer countries.

When it comes to eucalypts, globulus isn't a great firewood but the slower growing hardwood eucalypts are excellent, Yellow Box and Red Gum in particular.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Hmmm, the Euca trees that I have in my property was there when I purchased this home brand new back in 1992 or thereabouts, about a few years ago one biggish branch broke and fell, it took me hours chopping to pieces with the chain-saw
piled all up in my back yard then threw a canvas over it for years. Last winter pulled one of cut log and splinted to smaller pieces to trial use in my main fire-place. It took longer than the oak logs but burnt so hot to melting my wood log rack in the fire place! But burn it did. Not too sure of using them for fire logs though in spite of nice fragrance from burning Eucas..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Lucky it wasn't Red Gum then!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Julito wrote:Lucky it wasn't Red Gum then!
Red Gums, are those tree leaves loved by the Kuala? Don't know which specy my Eucas are but it sheds outer barks all year long and cleaning after is a real drag!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 am

A myth I grew up with was that koalas only eat a few very specific types of eucalyptus.

What had happened was they'd been hunted so extensively for their fur by the early settlers they'd been pushed right back into remote areas such as mountain tops. Once they became protected they bred up into much larger numbers and started to re-emerge into areas they hadn't been seen for generations, eating anything eucalyptus of which there are about 700 species.

Fifteen years ago I wandered out to the parents country town front gate to collect the mail, looked up and there's a bloody koala up a gum tree in the street. My father who turns 90 next year has lived in the area all his life said it was the first koala he'd seen out of the mountains. These days there're cautionary "Koala Crossing" signs all over the place, they even wander on foot into town streets. They're quite dopey, tame and not very smart.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:28 am

Yours sounds like a mature Tasmanian Blue Gum, the bigger they get the messier they become, along with most eucalypts. They're not a garden tree, they shed leaves all year and render the soil below inhospitable to competing non Australian native plants. Lemon Scented Gum is another crazy bark shedder, a huge mess every year. What mature eucalypts will also do in a dry or drought year is suddenly drop very large branches as a form of self preservation, so they're a time bomb if allowed to grow above houses, garages, sheds etc.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 am