buying land in patagonia

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
spambush

Re: buying land in patagonia

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:37 am

=========================

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:01 am

Wow, lots of hostility.

With the lifestyle and financial resources you are planning, what will you do if your new child (and any others you might have) require medical treatment?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

spambush

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 am

Andres wrote:Wow, lots of hostility.

With the lifestyle and financial resources you are planning, what will you do if your new child (and any others you might have) require medical treatment?
do the best that we can... we have made a choice... the perceived benefits of that lifestyle change, for us, outweigh any possible negativities. it is worth it to leave the trap of urban life, to face the prospect of decreased accessibility to healthcare. there are dangers in everything in life, arguably it is more dangerous staying in a city in an extremely earthquake prone region, facing the prospect of social unrest, car wreck etc... who knows? im not a mathematician... all we know is that its what we want. but she may want to find a place that isnt at "the end of the world", past o higgins, but very rural and removed none the less. just gotta do like the locals... we are aware that they offer medevacs from the airstrip down there, im guessing its free for the local residents but i dunno.

hostility is met with hostility. i cant believe how people react and treat me, over nothing. because i want something different out of life? they remind of the types of people that carry out ethnic cleansings.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:And the visa strategy? Everything else is pie in the sky if all of you do not/can not get to permanent residency.
we will do whatever is required to achieve residency status, im describing our overall plan of why we would like to go there in the first place... because if land down there is out of our range, then there is no point in even attempting it anyways. im not necesarilly planning to try to jump right into it or anything, before gaining citizenship so we can have some security in our investment, but its a possibility if it could allow us to decrease the required income from the immigration officials. another possibility is staying with one of the ecovillages in chile and working for food and shelter, maybe that would work as "income" for the authorities?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:18 am

Wow again.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:28 am

Make that a double wow!

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:58 am

spambush wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:And the visa strategy? Everything else is pie in the sky if all of you do not/can not get to permanent residency.
we will do whatever is required to achieve residency status
Good luck with that. And I mean it.

You have not seen "bureaucracy" until you have seen Chilean bureaucracy.
Laws, regulations and internal policies are often subject to personal interpretation, whether the person enjoyed their most recent meal and the phase of the moon.

I attempted to live in Chile and obtain a permanent resident visa.
Despite bringing hundreds of thousands of dollars in assets into Chile and having annual income in the tens of thousands of dollars, my permanent resident visa was denied. The Chilean lawyer told me that even the head of the legal section of the department of immigration said the denial was contrary to the immigration guidelines but there was nothing he could do about it. I would have to take them to court . . . which would have a "random" outcome not based upon facts or law.

Immigration has a reputation for random outcomes.

So, as I said at the start, good luck with it.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:01 pm

You are actually getting some good advice and for free. No need for the name calling. A few points you may have missed: you cannot import used cars to Chile. Full stop. Any vehicle here is imported and costs a lot more than the USA. You need to factor in this cost to a move. Note that not everywhere in Chile is accessible by road anyway, especially in Patagonia. Search "getting a Chilean driving license".

You seem to live in an apartment in a city and may not have the necessary stamina (not commitment, which is different) to face winters in remote parts of a remote country. I don't doubt your desire to see this wish come true but people on the forum are trying to explain that it will be harder than the hardest bits you imagine. The advice may seem harsh but you are not the first person to think that you want to live in the remote parts of Chile without really understanding what that would be like.

You talk about sheep but sheep need land and some knowledge of sheep farming. You also have to buy the sheep - or seeds or whatever you need to get started. Even survival farming is a risky business in Patagonia. The winds down there can pluck out your carrots faster than you can.

In order to obtain any initial residence visa you need to show that you either have a job here or can support yourself. To get Chilean nationality is a series of steps up the residence ladder and you won't get it before you have been here 6-8 years. Plenty of info if you search the forum for past posts or the wiki.

We have heard what you want from Chile but nothing about what you hope to offer the country in exchange for its offering you residence.

You won't always get the answers you want on here but all the answers have been honest ones. From what you have posted it would seem you think this move would be easier than it actually is. The first advice is always the same: come and look. If the cost of that is a major obstacle then, no matter how frugally you want to live, you probably can't afford it - even if you don't live like the decadent, city-dwelling, capitalists you seem to think we all are.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Seriously, why not just live off the grid somewhere out in the sticks in the states? Alaska? Pacific Northwest? Haven't read anything that your have written so far that makes Patagonia sound like a better place considering your financial situation and lack of experience or common sense.

Set aside that it would completely ruin you financially, you seriously think you're going to get a medevac helicopter in remote Patagonia in an emergency? There are plenty of places north of Pto Montt that don't even get a bar off cell phone service on a regular day. The posters didn't initially bust your balls just for kicks. It was meant to be good advice. Anything after your tirade of hostile profanity is just pissing into the wind. What do you expect?

Get realistic and accept constructive advice. Otherwise this is a waste of time for all posters.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

spambush

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

another idea weve had (along with the ecovillage), was to give my parent alot of my money so that we could be sent 1000usd for each person each month to meet the residency income requirement... does anyone think that would be officially recognized? also volunteer work?

spambush

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:52 pm

snobrd4life wrote:Seriously, why not just live off the grid somewhere out in the sticks in the states? Alaska? Pacific Northwest? Haven't read anything that your have written so far that makes Patagonia sound like a better place considering your financial situation and lack of experience or common sense.

Set aside that it would completely ruin you financially, you seriously think you're going to get a medevac helicopter in remote Patagonia in an emergency? There are plenty of places north of Pto Montt that don't even get a bar off cell phone service on a regular day. The posters didn't initially bust your balls just for kicks. It was meant to be good advice. Anything after your tirade of hostile profanity is just pissing into the wind. What do you expect?

Get realistic and accept constructive advice. Otherwise this is a waste of time for all posters.
how have i shown a lack of common sense in any of the plans i have outlined? maybe i dont have alot of sense of the legal bureaucracy, but the sheep farming plan? there are already people doing exactly what i have described... id like to see you tell them they have a lack of common sense in doing the same thing theyve been doing for 40 years.

spambush

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Donnybrook wrote: You seem to live in an apartment in a city and may not have the necessary stamina (not commitment, which is different) to face winters in remote parts of a remote country. I don't doubt your desire to see this wish come true but people on the forum are trying to explain that it will be harder than the hardest bits you imagine. The advice may seem harsh but you are not the first person to think that you want to live in the remote parts of Chile without really understanding what that would be like.
boy you sure do make a lot of assumptions... this entire paragraph is just one super baseless conjecture about me, my fitness, experience, and willingness, but thats ok. again, seems like more projecting. i am in interior alaska right now and was staying in cabin and not even using the electricity inside. no one has actually answered my original question... average cost of land down there. and the reason is pretty obvious... because no one knows... none of you have ever been down there.

spambush

Post by spambush » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:08 pm

snobrd4life wrote:Seriously, why not just live off the grid somewhere out in the sticks in the states? Alaska? Pacific Northwest? Haven't read anything that your have written so far that makes Patagonia sound like a better place considering your financial situation and lack of experience or common sense.

well im in alaska and it seems like "common sense" why somone would rather start a farm in chile than here... not even really going to entertain that question. oh the irony of somone telling me to start a farm in remote alaska, only accessible by a plane that costs 1000 dollars a trip, where winter is 7 months long and temperatures dip to -50f. as for the 48, its a toxic wasteland... ground water, soil, everything corrupt. anyways, alaska is probably my second choice, but there really are not alot of places left in this country that are good anymore for farming... the entire western half of the states were drenched with radioisotopes in the 50s that last forever, they are all still there in the soil. the entire northwest is polluted and extremely dangerous due to the hanford nuclear waste site, with contaminated ground water out to a 200 mile radius, thats the entire northwest. i could keep going on and on, but i digress.

ever hear of a satellite phone?

so what are you trying to tell me? people just flat out die in a medical emergency in o higgins? please...