buying land in patagonia

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
spambush

buying land in patagonia

Post by spambush » Sun May 29, 2016 5:24 am

how much generally, is remote, undeveloped property in patagonia, south of the furthest town?

admin
Site Admin

Re: buying land in patagonia

Post by admin » Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 am

not sure what you are asking.

That is like asking how much land south of San Francisco is undervalued. It is a big place.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

spambush

Post by spambush » Sun May 29, 2016 1:12 pm

id like to know how much money one would need at a minimum, to purchase land in patagonia, south of villa o higgins. i cant really be any more specific than that, as i have no more information about the area. i need to make sure i can actually buy land down there at all and also with the funds available to me. if the land is government owned or completely privately owned and not for sale, or just out of my price range, then it would be best if i found that out before actually making my way there and finding out after i get there, because that would suck, ALOT.

spambush

Post by spambush » Sun May 29, 2016 4:03 pm

ouuuu it looks like on this one it is 25 acres for 14k dollars usd... sound about right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 pm

25 acres (sure that is acres and not Hectares) for 14,000 = the price is a scam / people just fishing on the internet, the property is so remote and useless that they can hardly give it away, or some other mega issue with it (e.g. they don't own the property).

So let's say you read that right, that would be about 10 hectares for around 9,500,000 pesos. Let's say 1 million a hectare and change.

Not unheard of, but that price typically comes with few catches.

It might be as simple a catch as needing to spend $50,000+ U.S. to build a road to access the property. Also keep in mind, to just reach the area, you might be spending another several thousand dollars vs. something in some other part of Chile. Patagonia is not cheap living, and logistics can be expensive. From where I am at, right now in southern Chile, I would expect to drop about $1,000 U.S. to go to some place like Futalafue for a week and back. That is a relatively easy part of the Patagonia for me to reach.

I might also point out, that just because a property is in the more remote Patagonia (just looking at a map), does not necessarily mean it is cheap. In fact, you can often find properties cheaper closer to connected civilization. In other words, you should keep an eye on total cost of ownership of property in the Patagonia.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

spambush

Post by spambush » Mon May 30, 2016 3:41 am

yes i would be looking for the cheapest land possible that would meet my needs (flat, water access), regardless of physical access. something that would sustain livestock. i would not be building any roads. i have to ask how you can say a place like villa o higgins isnt cheap to live at, when all of the people there are quite poor and live in virtual shacks, unless there is some sort of government subsidy. if there is little economic activity regionally, the prices of goods and living must reflect this, to be significantly cheaper than a place like a major city, otherwise no one would live there at all, right? the 1000 dollar travel cost is attributed to what exactly? and also you seem to be contradicting yourself... in your first sentence you state that people can hardly give away land in remote patagonia due to its undesirability, and you subsequently state that land down there is not necissarily cheap

spambush

Post by spambush » Mon May 30, 2016 9:30 am

what is the best way to find land for sale down there, online or in person? seeing how rural the area is, im guessing alot of people dont have internet connections.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 am

You sound like you don't believe me. So, I will give you the advice you are going to need sooner rather than later anyway: go there.

You need to go there in person, look around, and find a property. Your not going to be able to do it over the internet. Meanwhile, everything else I have told you will become pretty obvious. Perhaps you will find something that is cheap and to your liking.

The major cause of the increase price for everything, is that it is at the end of the World. It is essentially on the way to nowhere. Think about it. A product say made in Europe or China, how much money does it take to get that product to the Patagonia? How much demand is there for a product, with some of the fewest people per square mile on the planet? How about shipping fresh fruit to the area from say the tropics?

Everything from fuel to basics products will be much higher priced to get there. There are only about million people south of Pumalin Park. There is essentially no significant export industry, that the money actually stays in the region. 99% of the money made from products in the Patagonia, such as lumber, wool, some mining, fishing is all Santiago or foreign money. It goes in to a bank in Santiago, and stays there. Very little of it reaches the regions. Perhaps some of the tourism money is a bit more sticky, but even then most of the big tourism money is with foreign owned and operated lodges. Much of that never even comes in to the country.

The locals have land, and much of the land was given to them by the government over a generation ago. They homesteaded, and were awarded the land. The land has gone up in value over the last decade, a lot. There are many places where 20 million a hectare and up is not an uncommon price in a lot of the Patagonia. If you are buying anything under about 100 hectares, finding property in the under 1 million pesos a hectare range will be hard.

Yea, a lot of the people are poor; and yea, a lot of the people get government subsidies of one form or another. Many qualify for the duty free zone as residents, so there are some tax breaks for locals also. As foreigner, you won't qualify.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:17 am

spambush wrote:what is the best way to find land for sale down there, online or in person? seeing how rural the area is, im guessing alot of people dont have internet connections.
In that area People don't have electricity, never mind internet unless they have a generator, no power grid down there.

Trying to do it all on the internet without a clue about Chilean reality and without investing any time or money in advance is a waste of time, especially if, as I suspect, you don't speak Spanish..

There are territorial reasons why Chileans live in those places. If Chile did not maintain a presence, Argentina would have moved in and populated it in order to have an excuse to annex it. They tried it in the past in the Aysén region. That is the reason why Pinochet started extending the Panamericana or Carretera Austral south of Puerto Montt, for strategic purposes, not for tourism, nor to "develop" that wet godforsaken place.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

spambush

Post by spambush » Mon May 30, 2016 11:58 am

in your opinion, how much of a threat is argentina to the region? if i were to start a family farm in the area, should i look forward to a visit from the argentinian military someday?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 30, 2016 12:21 pm

?

You really need to go there.

1/2th of the population is either Argentina or has Argentinian family. Argentina still can not find the keys to the tanks after they parked them in the 1980's. Hardly a threat these days, and it never was really a threat to the Patagonia. Only a moron would would try to occupy the Patagonia by military force. I could see an army running out of gas about 30 km from the boarder, after half of it got stuck in the mud, all just to stick a flag in the middle of a sheep ranch. I am sure it keeps the sheep up at night.

If you want to see a great movie about it, watch "my best enemy". It pretty much sums up the threat of Argentina to the Chilean Patagonia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Best_Enemy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410316/

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:39 pm

No, this was all in the unhappy days of the dictators 50 years ago, when Chile and Argentina nearly went to war.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge