Buying property in Chile

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
accre810n

Buying property in Chile

Post by accre810n » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:28 am

Anyone know if it's possible to buy about 5-10 acres of land in the southern regions for under USD 10K? If so, any suggestions on where/how to find them? I don't need any developments, or utilities.. an empty plot of land with some variation in the terrain would be sufficient (hills/open field/forest areas).

Also, if at all possible, I'd like to buy the property sight unseen.. I know this is NOT recommended, but due to the low overall investment, I'd prefer if I can do it without visiting the country. If there are any suggestions on how to make this work, that would be appreciated as well (like hiring an independent local to visit and take pictures/videos or something).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying property in Chile

Post by admin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:49 am

accre810n wrote:Anyone know if it's possible to buy about 5-10 acres of land in the southern regions for under USD 10K? If so, any suggestions on where/how to find them? I don't need any developments, or utilities.. an empty plot of land with some variation in the terrain would be sufficient (hills/open field/forest areas).

Also, if at all possible, I'd like to buy the property sight unseen.. I know this is NOT recommended, but due to the low overall investment, I'd prefer if I can do it without visiting the country. If there are any suggestions on how to make this work, that would be appreciated as well (like hiring an independent local to visit and take pictures/videos or something).
The short answer is no.

The long answer is still no. Could you find something in Chile for that price, perhaps; but, you would have to either look really hard (thus, come to chile and spend a lot of time looking) or you would be buying something of essentially no value, ever. You might get a piece of dessert in the middle of nowhere, or some really remote mountain top way down in the Patagonia that takes a two day horse back ride to get to, but even then,...

If you are not going to come to Chile yourself, expect much higher legal fees for handling the purchase. Someone has to sign by power of attorney. Someone has to negotiate the purchase. Just all around, your going spend a lot of money not directly related to the purchase.

Yea, I just can not come up with a way you get that sort of land for under $10,000 U.S. 1 hectare, perhaps. 1, 5,000 square meter lot, in a rather "rustic" new development, perhaps. 5-10 acres would take serious leg work. Essentially, you would spend what you are trying to save, just finding the property and transferring it.

Even if you did, sometimes a good deal is not such a good deal when it is all done.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:27 am

So 2 to 4 hectares for less than 7 million pesos? Highly unlikely in this region, maybe way out the back of beyond with no eletricity, and after spending an afternoon on the chicha with an old viejo who sells his campo drunk the goes back on the deal the next day with his hangover. People have the internet so they are generally up with the prices these days. If you buy upwards of 50 hectares you might be able to pick up a farm a long long away for that per hectare price, but just a couple of hectares it has to be worth their while, and 7 million pesos isnt really going to cut it for most people.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 am

Times have changed, its a different game now, Chile has of what the world suddenly wants, and especially the southern regions. Guess what? there are very few deals like the one you are looking for, get serious if you want to secure something good down here for a good price (while you still can) you need to be on the ground.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 am

Deleted.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:41 am

Bargain Hunter wrote:Hi guys, I am new to the forum. I am from Sydney, Australia. I have been to Colombia and Peru and spent one day on the way back from Peru in Santiago (due to transit). I was impressed by how modern and clean Santiago was and how good the public transport was, how many young people speak English and how friendly the locals were (not too mention how beautiful the young women were ;-) ). I have never been to a place where people were as friendly to me as Santiago (Bogota came close though). Just FYI I speak a small amount of Spanish.

I am interested in eventually having a property in South or Central America. Given that Chile is known for being the most developed and stable Latin American country, and given the natural beauty of Chile and the friendliness of the locals I am interested in potentially making that future purchase in Chile. Within the next year or two I will make a 6 to 8 week trip to travel around Chile and see the country properly before I make any decision to buy anything. The property would be a holiday house/investment with the possibility of converting it into a full time residence down the track (if this does not happen I am still happy to keep it as a holiday/part-time residence).

I have looked a bit on the internet but noticed that the selection of properties on the internet in Chile is limited.

I just want some pointers from forum members on what towns/cities (and what areas within those towns and cities) I should look at so I can put them on my list to investigate/visit when I finally get round to visiting Chile, because obviously in 6 or 8 weeks I cannot see every town and city in the country.

My criteria are as follows:

-I would prefer to buy a land or house instead of an apartment.
-I want to spend no more than $110,000 USD including transaction costs.
-The size of the property does not necessarily have to be big (although it can be) and the house does not have to be luxurious. A good location is more important.
-I prefer a location that has reasonable market liquidity so I can sell the property within a few months if necessary.
-I want a location that has good capital growth (price appreciation) prospects over the long-term.
-I prefer a location with at least some level of basic infrastructure (i.e. not too remote) such as some roads, restaurants, buses, etc.
-I want a property/location with good rental demand so I can rent out the property easily if need be.
-I prefer a location that is not too cold in winter, in case I decide to live their in winter (I do not like overly cold weather)
-I prefer to be near (up to 3km away is fine) a very nice and beautiful beach with warm water. I live close to some fabulous beaches in Sydney, Australia so I am not impressed by any old beach. It must be a nice beach!! Also from what I read a lot of beaches in Chile have cold water due to the Humboldt current. I strongly prefer a beautiful beach with warm water. If not then my second choice would be to be close to or in a another beautiful natural environment such as a waterfall, lake, mountains, national park, lagoon, etc

So if you all have any ideas which towns/cities I should focus on/explore please list them along with a brief explanation of why they are worthy of consideration.

Thanks, everyone :-)

Bueno, bonito y barato? No such thing bud! Move on to the next country.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:23 am

Since you want beach and not a bad winter, the south of Chile may not be a good choice, especially anywhere south of Puerto Montt.

Perhaps start in Vina del Mar area. Head north from there (or around there). Check out La Serena. Then maybe check out a few places further north. Perhaps the centre of Vina may be expensive but somewhere a little way out of town might be better. But I'm guessing.

Because the currents come from the Antarctic direction, I don't think the water is very warm anywhere, even in the far north of Chile. I suggest you give up the idea of (very) warm water, or give up the idea of Chile.

Some of the places above may meet your needs on infrastructure, weather, and so on.

However I don't know about prices, liquidity, rental market demand etc.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am

Bargain Hunter wrote:Hi guys, I am new to the forum. I am from Sydney, Australia. I have been to Colombia and Peru and spent one day on the way back from Peru in Santiago (due to transit). I was impressed by how modern and clean Santiago was and how good the public transport was, how many young people speak English and how friendly the locals were (not too mention how beautiful the young women were ;-) ). I have never been to a place where people were as friendly to me as Santiago (Bogota came close though). Just FYI I speak a small amount of Spanish.

I am interested in eventually having a property in South or Central America. Given that Chile is known for being the most developed and stable Latin American country, and given the natural beauty of Chile and the friendliness of the locals I am interested in potentially making that future purchase in Chile. Within the next year or two I will make a 6 to 8 week trip to travel around Chile and see the country properly before I make any decision to buy anything. The property would be a holiday house/investment with the possibility of converting it into a full time residence down the track (if this does not happen I am still happy to keep it as a holiday/part-time residence).

I have looked a bit on the internet but noticed that the selection of properties on the internet in Chile is limited.

I just want some pointers from forum members on what towns/cities (and what areas within those towns and cities) I should look at so I can put them on my list to investigate/visit when I finally get round to visiting Chile, because obviously in 6 or 8 weeks I cannot see every town and city in the country.

My criteria are as follows:

-I would prefer to buy a land or house instead of an apartment.
-I want to spend no more than $110,000 USD including transaction costs.
-The size of the property does not necessarily have to be big (although it can be) and the house does not have to be luxurious. A good location is more important.
-I prefer a location that has reasonable market liquidity so I can sell the property within a few months if necessary.
-I want a location that has good capital growth (price appreciation) prospects over the long-term.
-I prefer a location with at least some level of basic infrastructure (i.e. not too remote) such as some roads, restaurants, buses, etc.
-I want a property/location with good rental demand so I can rent out the property easily if need be.
-I prefer a location that is not too cold in winter, in case I decide to live their in winter (I do not like overly cold weather)
-I prefer to be near (up to 3km away is fine) a very nice and beautiful beach with warm water. I live close to some fabulous beaches in Sydney, Australia so I am not impressed by any old beach. It must be a nice beach!! Also from what I read a lot of beaches in Chile have cold water due to the Humboldt current. I strongly prefer a beautiful beach with warm water. If not then my second choice would be to be close to or in a another beautiful natural environment such as a waterfall, lake, mountains, national park, lagoon, etc

So if you all have any ideas which towns/cities I should focus on/explore please list them along with a brief explanation of why they are worthy of consideration.

Thanks, everyone :-)
Good luck - Let me know when & where you find it...

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 am

Look at Ecuador.... Lots of beach property for cheap prices. The government is awful in terms of capital gains, but that will eventually change in the future.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Nah, go and look to facing the Caribbean sea, Venezuela is the place for you Bargain Hunter. Import all and everything from Brazil cause there are fierce inflation and the Republic produces nothing to support themselves, but everything else are up to for sale. With US$ 110k there you can find the real bargains and the beaches are warm all year long. Then if the heat gets too hot, you can always go to Colombia or Brazil...Now, if still stuck on Chile, go way up north bordering to Peru, there still in Chile's territory, you can have great beach.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:42 pm

HAHAHAHA. Welcome back Px. Great troll, by the way, except you left out that you want to be somewhere without dogs or dogshit.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 pm

is not him
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.