water rights, or whatever it's called now

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: cost of water rights, and related stuff

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:05 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote: What are these, and what's the issue with them?
Examples of water rights offered for sale in the Coquimbo region....looks like the URL got truncated
One more time:
http://www.olx.cl/q/acciones-de-agua-ca ... ista/c-210
So if I buy rights to Canal Bellavista, can I use that anywhere there's access to the canals? And do you (or anyone here) know how much water you get with 1 share? Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

malma wrote:Noria is a shallow well usually between 3 and 10 m and usually of a greater diameter than deep bores.
Typically they are not particularly well designed and production is limited, most people use these for there domestic supply and maybe a garden.
That makes sense. The ad I was looking at, had a picture of a well with a large diameter cement casing. Does anyone here know how deep you can go, with "derecho a Agua de Noria"?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

malma

Post by malma » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Legally you can deepen a well but whether it is technically and economically feasible depends on other things

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:33 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:So if I buy rights to Canal Bellavista, can I use that anywhere there's access to the canals?
No, only on that canal. I quoted that one because it is one of the main ones for the pan de azucar/coquimbo area.
Each canal has a local administration that you would have to contact for feasibility.They also charge monthly for canal maintenance, btw.
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And do you (or anyone here) know how much water you get with 1 share?
In my case 1 share = around 18000 cubic metres per year.
But not this year as we are in a drought.

If the land in not close proximity to an existing canal I wouldnt bother....
Après moi, le déluge

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:So if I buy rights to Canal Bellavista, can I use that anywhere there's access to the canals?
No, only on that canal. I quoted that one because it is one of the main ones for the pan de azucar/coquimbo area.
Each canal has a local administration that you would have to contact for feasibility.They also charge monthly for canal maintenance, btw.
How much does maintenance cost?
fraggle092 wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And do you (or anyone here) know how much water you get with 1 share?
In my case 1 share = around 18000 cubic metres per year.
But not this year as we are in a drought.

If the land in not close proximity to an existing canal I wouldnt bother....
18000 cubic meters seems like a lot of water. At least a lot more than I would need.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

malma wrote:Legally you can deepen a well but whether it is technically and economically feasible depends on other things
Does anyone know if there's a limit to how deep you can go with Agua de Noria rights? For example, could I deepen a 10 meter well to 50 meters? Or could I just drill a new 50 meter well? I'm trying to figure out if a particular parcela is worth a 500 km trip to look at. Eventually I'll need to have Spencer research all the details, so I'm just trying to get a general idea for now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 pm

water rights should be viewed and approached pretty much like buying property. In fact, the water rights registry is a separate registry at the local property registry. You essentially do a separate title search on the rights. EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION, is very specific to the rights in question. There is no one size fits all. Asking people how much their water rights costs, is simply not going to help. You need to find a specific situation, and that needs to be researched by an attorney to make sure they are valid. There are local water committees that collectively own water rights (e.g. might be attached to the purchase of particular parcel), there are direct ownership, there is commercial use, pass through like dams vs. consumption (housing developments), residential use, and on, and on. Even if you have water rights, depending on use, you might need sanitary authorization to use those rights such as when digging a well or trying to get building permits.

We get properties all the time that have water rights, and lots with no rights. It totally depends on the location and use of the property.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:56 am

admin wrote:water rights should be viewed and approached pretty much like buying property. In fact, the water rights registry is a separate registry at the local property registry. You essentially do a separate title search on the rights. EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION, is very specific to the rights in question. There is no one size fits all. Asking people how much their water rights costs, is simply not going to help. You need to find a specific situation, and that needs to be researched by an attorney to make sure they are valid. There are local water committees that collectively own water rights (e.g. might be attached to the purchase of particular parcel), there are direct ownership, there is commercial use, pass through like dams vs. consumption (housing developments), residential use, and on, and on. Even if you have water rights, depending on use, you might need sanitary authorization to use those rights such as when digging a well or trying to get building permits.

We get properties all the time that have water rights, and lots with no rights. It totally depends on the location and use of the property.
That helps, thanks! Although, I do find examples very helpful, even if they're specific to a particular situation. If I have enough examples, I can usually get a good sense of how things work.

malma

Post by malma » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:23 am

Apart from the legal issues there a technical/physical issues, it may be no use deepening 50 m as the aquifer is only present in the first 30. You might need to speak to a hydrogeologist maybe a company that drills bores in the area would have this knowledge.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:51 pm

malma wrote:Apart from the legal issues there a technical/physical issues, it may be no use deepening 50 m as the aquifer is only present in the first 30. You might need to speak to a hydrogeologist maybe a company that drills bores in the area would have this knowledge.
I was mainly trying to understand the legal issues. I didn't know if Agua de Noria rights are typically limited to a shallow aquifer, and you need separate rights to access a deeper aquifer (if one exists). Or if Agua de Noria rights typically allow access to any aquifer. I'm guessing each aquifer would be considered a separate source, so the rights for one wouldn't necessarily mean you have rights to the other. And you're right, I really should talk to someone who knows where the water actually is, and not just assume it's down there somewhere.

malma

Post by malma » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:45 pm

In most cases the aquifers are not vertically delimited (legally/administratively at least), in such cases it may be possible to deepen the well. That said you should check if the proposed works constitute a change of catchment point. The responsible authority is the DGA.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:36 pm

I forgot I started this thread (memory is the first thing to go), and I just asked similar questions on a new thread:
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... 16#p172216

But some of the answers are already here, so I'm switching back to this one. Except now:
passport wrote:Needs confirmation, but I heard last month that water rights in Chile are no more. The state reserves rights to all.
So is everything different now?