Prefab Homes

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Clearing even old growth trees for a building site is a right on your property.

If you do it for the sake of the other trees, put sufficient break between the building and the forest to protect it from your house burning down (or the other way around for that matter).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:06 pm

FYI, this is a trick that some really nasty logging companies in Chiloe have used. They bought a large property with a stand of 1,000 plus year old trees. They then exercise their right to build access roads through the property, cutting 50 meters on either side of the center of the road. When done, they sell the property.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:58 pm

RWS wrote:

This would be a wonderful place! Once you've established the commonwealth, do, please, let me know, dear Excalibur: I'd catch the first ship headed there.

Unquote

Do I sense some longing for some real freedom and some real justicein the distance, as opposed to the fake ones we are all sold instead . . . ? ;-)

I will most certainly have you as my guest, ( and maybe even neighbour )should I manage to make the dream come true, in the meantime I leave you with some words of wisdom which, an historian like you especially, should appreciate:

" Do not just seek to live in a better world, seek to create one ! "

;-)

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:48 pm

Admin wrote:

If you do it for the sake of the other trees, put sufficient break between the building and the forest to protect it from your house burning down (or the other way around for that matter).

Unquote

Now, that is what I call a sound piece of advice ! ;-)

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:54 pm

admin wrote:FYI, this is a trick that some really nasty logging companies in Chiloe have used. They bought a large property with a stand of 1,000 plus year old trees. They then exercise their right to build access roads through the property, cutting 50 meters on either side of the center of the road. When done, they sell the property.
Now that is nasty indeed ! And I could use some heavier words but I do not wish to be removed from the forum . . .:-(

I find it quite excessive that building a road requires clearing an area of 50 metres on each side, it sounds more like a motorway than a road
access.

RWS

Post by RWS » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Excalibur wrote:Do I sense some longing for some real freedom and some real justice in the distance . . . ? ;-) . . .
Exactly, Excalibur. As you (so I suppose, from the nombre de pantalla that you've chosen), I yearn to regain the best of what has been lost. Among the many reasons for wishing to make a new home in Chile, this is one of the foremost.

Many thanks for the invitation. My own modest door is always open.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:21 am

RWS wrote: Exactly, Excalibur. As you (so I suppose, from the nombre de pantalla that you've chosen), I yearn to regain the best of what has been lost. Among the many reasons for wishing to make a new home in Chile, this is one of the foremost.

Spot on ! And so be it ! ;-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:28 am

yea, I remember a national park fire fighter in the States telling me that about my house years ago to keep a 500 to 1,000 foot clearing around the house, because in a big forest fire they were not going help us save the house, and they really were more concerned about our house starting a forest fire.

There was a nasty one in the 50's in the Patagonia that burned from end to end, and some smaller ones in the 60's and 70's that did some very serious damage. That is why 1,000+ trees are really much more rare in the Patagonia than they should be.

We have seen a couple pieces of property where the trees have been naturally protected because they are surrounded by rivers and natural fire breaks on all sides. They are massive in a Northern California Red Wood sort of way, like 20 and 30 foot across.

That is the secret to the size of the trees in Pumalin park also. The trees have been isolated by lots of rivers and steep cliffs from fires.

chileantobe

Post by chileantobe » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:57 pm

I don't know how much the houses cost here, but I know I like most of them: [...] I edit because I remember I'm not allowed to post URL . Try maisons in Chile.

copfish

Post by copfish » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:31 am

Pre fab does have the advantage with having it delivered and a few days later moving in but site built seems a better option unless you can't or don't have the time or skill needed.

I'm not a contractor but have built several homes and commercial buildings for myself and its not that hard to do if you have some tools, plans, good materials and a few friends. I plan to have two friends of mine come down to visit and work with me to get my house dried in. Its amasing how quick it comes together. In my travels through out chile (la Serena to Puerto Montt) I have seen and have visited many lumber mills that had great dry lumber and the building stores have everything else. Its just not that hard to build and can be a lot of fun.

Where I live now fires are on our minds also, I choose metal roofs as they have many benifits one being fire proof. We also don't build in a stand of tree's for the obvious reason of fire.

copfish

Post by copfish » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:52 am

Does anyone have web site addresses for say Sodimac or other large building stores. I would think they might have a on-line catalog of supplies for building. It would make it easier to fill the lumber take off's and plumbing and electrical's also.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:03 am

http://www.sodimac.cl/

Keep in mind they are not the cheapest. They likely have the largest selection.

Things like lumber tends to be low quality and expensive. They are good for the hard to find things, imported, and so on. The run of the mill kind of building stuff though can be bought cheaper at other stores.