Prefab Homes

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
helibel

Post by helibel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 pm

Well. I got facinated by shipping container homes. And did some research . yahoo search 'homes from containers' check out the u tube site for dozens of videos even how to cut them. quik-build.com has a very nice design using six containers. Seems like a waste to ship something like this to Chile if containers could be found locally,can they?
Some houses look grim but some were really nice. maybe another business oportunity.

mlightheart

Rocio Romero and her prefabs (some assemly required).

Post by mlightheart » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:14 pm

With all the talk about prefabs and what Rocio Romero designed for her parents in Chile, I had to go and see.

I found a number of articles about her designs and I though this article was good information.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/1 ... sk_skyline

From what I read, she designed a small vacation house for her parents. She didn't have it shipped to Chile. But while designing and building the house this got her into prefabs, which now she sells in the US.

Another good article about her designs.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2006/01/13/pre ... s-lv-home/

Even with a prefab there is a matter of the quality of material used and if it is a kit, there is a matter of the skills to put it together.

Shipping materials over that you can't get in Chile is being done, but to what extent I don't know.

I don't have any experience with log homes and such, but my sister-in-law's sister were selling log homes for some company in the US. My brother helped them with the log home kit that they bought. I don't remember the size of it, but he said it was lot of work. He isn't in the construction business. I guess the more hands you have available, then it makes the work easier, but it can still be hard. I guess it would be like a old fashioned barn raising.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:37 am

There are companies here that sell things like offices made out of shipping containers with doors and windows, and you can just buy a container from them. It would make sense that they would be willing to modify them to your liking in to some sort of modular home. Not sure I would want to live in a shipping container.

We have a client with one that he bought to use as storage on his property while he built his hostile in the Southern Chile.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:25 am

I guess it would make it easy to move around if you had all of your stuff in a container :)

I have seen advertising for container storage in the US. PODS I think. Yeah. They look like 20 ft containers (actually they are 12 or 16 foot). They drop them at your house, you load it up, and then they store it. They don't look as heavy duty as the containers that I have seen. These pods have a rollup door at the back instead of two heavy duty steel doors.

G

Prefab

Post by G » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Prefabs offer a reduced footprint lifestyle, in a more instant manner. Generally, a lifestyle regarding people and experiences, rather than
accumulation and clutter.
In US, we have a culture devoted to prefabs that either have motors
or else are towed from place to place, best referred to as RV's. For most
of these people, however, these are merely an extension of their
living room to other places, and have other homes.
Some of the logistics of shipping by RORO, made me believe one
could bring these, but than reality and VAT catch up. :shock:
One of my favorite mini homes manufacturers/plans companies.
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm
Fine plans for smaller living.
http://www.tinyhomes.com/SuccessStories.html
I like this design, if I could find the right roof in Vina or Valpo!
http://www.loftcube.net/main.html

Even Lowes got involved after Katrina. Look at this cottage.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... ttage.html

Fun to consider, until you think about the logistics bringing all the materials through customs, find quality builders, ones who can take the North American measurements and transfer to metric and then wire for Chilean 220V, and what all else.
I think buying in country, and learning to live like the locals, goes a long way to using wisdom in relocation efforts. Having a fine skill like log building or home remodeling, could also go a long way to making your transitions more to your desires.
OK, I have probably exhausted my link limits for today. Thanks. G....getting out!

RWS

Re: Prefab

Post by RWS » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:51 pm

G wrote:. . . . I think buying in country, and learning to live like the locals, goes a long way to using wisdom in relocation efforts. . . .
Agreed. Plus, I like (at the least, I've enjoyed as a visitor) some features of Chilean construction not found in North American or northwestern European, such as tiled floors throughout. But some adjustments -- double-paned windows, threshholds -- are necessary for environmentally and energy-conscientious construction. The difficulties are balancing these influences, then finding good workers to aid in making the final design tangible.

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Poster G and others interested in the so-called small-house movement may also enjoy these websites: www-dot-resourcesforlife-dot-com/groups/smallhousesociety; www-dot-treehouse-company-dot-com ('sorry that these are not "enabled" links, but I want to respect Charles's request).

helibel

Post by helibel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:41 pm

I think this container house is VERY livable but impractical to deliver to chile. This would be a fantatic house for a property with a view. If one could buy containers there and have the cut out for windows etc, Done by the folks Charles mentioned. make sure to click on the floor plans link. This house is stacked in such a way that there is a large 24X24 ft clear area for the living room kitchen.http://www.quik-build.com/quikHouse/QH_ ... _image.htm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:42 pm

I had a look at those plans. Not bad. Seems like something you could get an enterprising young guy with nack for welders and blow torches to do for you in Chile. The finish work could then be done by a carpenter. I am not sure I would want to live in one, but looks cool.

mlightheart

Stroboli Wagon???

Post by mlightheart » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Is it me or does one of those designs from the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company look like Stromboli's wagon in Pinocchio? The VARDO is the one I am talking about.

Sorry for the sidetrack...Chile Chile Chile...

How about that peso!

helibel

Post by helibel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 pm

ah yes, but wouldn't it be fun to tow that gypsy cottage from Arica to Puntra Arenas behind a horse (ok !ok! maybe a toyota pickup) and take a year or two Hmmm !what a dream.
One very important thing to remember in a "FIXED" property is size isn't everything. A huge percentage of the (building) cost of any house is in the septic, driveway, site prep, water, electrical service, etc. and making the house a few hundred square feet bigger isn't very expensive, literally a few hundred dollars. Tiny houses can end up being very costly per square foot/meter. I was impressed with some of the Lowes designs. well thought out and approbriate to many environs.
If you have no hobbies or interests you can liuve in a very small space, but real people take up room. I need a studio and Hub owns about 18 stringed instruments, (and plays hours a day a)nd I'm sure we would need at least 3 instuments in any vacation home. When we had a sailboat, the guitars had the forepeak and we had to sleep in the salon. Things could have been worse, we might not have gone sailing!

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 am

I have a question for admin, or anyone else who might have someknowledge of the law, on this particular front.

Should one decide to self build, and one owns the land, are there any restrictions regarding using trees, or other building materials, ( like stones etc. ) from the property one owns, other than getting a permit/project approved by whatever local authority is looking after the area ?

I like to think that providing one owns the land, and the buildings arefor residential purposes, and one doesn't do anything obviously silly,there shouldn't be problems with it, especially in Patagonia where there are not exactly many neighbours close by ;-) but in the ever more fascist ( or whatever other label one might like to use, which doesn't change theend result ) European Union, one cannot even build a dog house, in his property, without government permission and getting into trouble . . . no joke unfortunately.

Thanks to anyone who might provide some light on the above.