Prefab Homes

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
copfish

Post by copfish » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:25 pm

Excaliber, great info. and a person might be able to rent or share shipping cost with someone else. I have done this from Norway to the states before with just a simple ad in the paper. I guess the idea is to get the cost per pound as low as possible by using all the space in the container.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:59 am

copfish wrote:Excaliber, great info. and a person might be able to rent or share shipping cost with someone else. I have done this from Norway to the states before with just a simple ad in the paper. I guess the idea is to get the cost per pound as low as possible by using all the space in the container.
Indeed, if you can find someone to share a container with, the cost pervolume will decrease considerably, as small shipments are heavily
penalised compared to larger volume ones, as it basically takes nearly the same amount of time/work for all the people involved in the shipping process, admin, transport, etc. ( providing you do your own loading/unloading and they just collect and deliver ) for a small item as it does for a full container . . . but you can put an awful lot more stuff in a 40 footer . . .:-)

Not meaning to be nosy, but since you have mentioned Norway, and Norway is a country I am deeply in love with, I was wondering if you
are Norwegian . . .

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:46 pm

RWS wrote:Excellent advice, Excalibur, particularly concerning the importance of obtaining competing quotations from shippers in part to assure that all necessary components of the move (physical transfer, documentary compliance, etc.) have been covered.
As far as advice is concerned, a big word of caution about packing theitems.

Packing items, especially fragile ones, is a fine art in itself, and notsomething to be understimated, if one wishes to find all the items still in
one piece at the other end.

Whilst this may not be much of a concern in the case of boxes full of books, it is definitely a concern with regard to furniture and anything
made of glass, or similarly fragile materials.

Between the USA and Chile, a container will be banged around very manytimes, not only during loading and unloading from/to the ship, but especially if the ship runs into rough seas during its voyage, and it is vitalthat there are no empty spaces left between boxes and other items whenloading, as they will all fall on top of each other, if they have room to move inside the container. Shipping companies can sell all types of packing materials, from proper boxes to tape, to covers and plastic bubbles, to be wrapped around furniture to protect them from scratches, etc., and also to be used to fill any small gaps, in order to prevent all the various items from moving inside the container.

With a lots of attention and care, even those who have no experience in proper packing, can do a reasonably decent job, especially if no particularly fragile items are involved; any old cartons, papers and old covers/clothes, will also do as a cheap form of gaps filling/cushioning materials, so I recommend a lot of this stuff be put aside and kept handy prior to loading, as it will be very useful indeed to keep everything inside safe, and will save money on packing materials as well.

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 pm

I have just returned from Seattle, after attending a log homes building course, during which various other relevant items were discussed, among
which, the use of containers as storage spaces.

One interesting info which was mentioned, and which will make everyone living on the Pacific coast happy, is that it is especially easy ( and therefore cheaper ) to find containers on the Pacific coast, due to theenormous amount of containers coming in from China, which are thennot sent back empty, because China does not import as much as it exports, creating a surplus availability, for those who might be interested
in taking advantage of it.

I have also been given a web site for a container company which could be useful, but which I cannot post yet as per forum's rules, but anyone who
wishes to have it, can just PM me and I will provide it.

admin
Site Admin

when in doubt

Post by admin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Go ahead and post it.

If you guys have a link that you are not sure about or can not post because of the rules, please PM me and I will post it.

Just let that Nazi forum administrator try and kick me out. :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Thank you Admin, much obliged for your offer.

The web site address is:

http://www.seabox.com/

I hope it proves useful.

The wanderer

Re: Prefab Homes

Post by The wanderer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Would them small cabins be suitable to live in while building a home? I see them for sale for 3,000,000 to 5,000,000 thats a lot better value than what i see in Europe or Canada or am i missing something? like its bad quality.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Ahh, in Canada and the US you can find 40ft containers as low as 2500 CD, 1,200,000 CP, they are at the end of thier traveling life. What's bad quality? They are decommissioned from use, why would you buy a new container?
It's all about the wine.

The wanderer

Post by The wanderer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Its not a container I'm after its a prefab home to live in while i build and then use as a guest house later.