Prefab Homes

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
el kayakista

Prefab Homes

Post by el kayakista » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:57 am

charles-

you mentioned in the past that prefabricated homes go for about 15,000,000 clp. what would that normally get you? # bedrooms, # bathrooms, etc... etc... i was doing some research and apparently you can customize the prefab to your desire before the materials arrive the country

does the 15,000,000 clp price you've given me only apply to the futa area? who are the companies that service Chile when it comes to prefab buildings?

admin
Site Admin

There is a website with them

Post by admin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 am

There is a website online that is like a catalogue of all the prefabs. I will try and get the address and get back to you with it.

We know of builders in the Futa area that will build a small cabin for around 7,000,000-15,000,000 Pesos. Really small, kind of one room cabins can go for as little as 3,5 million to 4 million.

el kayakista

Site

Post by el kayakista » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 am

did you ever find that site?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:03 am

here is one in Temuco: http://www.rucantu.cl/es_constructivos.php

I have been meaning to get out to their showroom and have a look up close. The site might give you an idea, but keep an eye out for the way they shot those photos. There are not a lot of close in shots. The prices on the site are in UF per square meter, as I suppose everyone gets a bankloan or they finance it directly. You will have to do the math for that. However, they are in Southern Chile, and should ship the house to where you want it. Surf the Spanish version of the site for better information.

Here is another site with prices around 7,500,000 pesos.
http://www.casasconcon.cl/

Those should at least give you some ideas.

That is not the site I was looking for though. A friend of mine had the address. I will have to contact her for it.

admin
Site Admin

this might help also

Post by admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:06 am

Here is the UF conversion rate: http://www.uf.cl/

admin
Site Admin

prices

Post by admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:22 am

So, for a basic house/cabin of 40-60 square meters at http://www.rucantu.cl/ in Temuco
they are asking around $10,000,000 pesos, or about $20,000 US. Which is not bad, assuming the construction is O.K. They say about 20 days delivery time.

I will try and get out there and take some photos myself of the houses, and ask about options for delivery.

el kayakista

thanks for the 411

Post by el kayakista » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:39 am

thanks for the info. that actually gives me more ideas as to how to go about doing what i need to do down south. i tell you, all this chile venture move and in wanting to make a living is quite an ordeal.

sometimes i just want to quit my job and take whatever it is i have in my savings account and start a new life.

mcplaza

Post by mcplaza » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:06 am

Hi,
thank you for the links. I found the prices pretty high, like US$ 500 per square meter. I mean, high for my budget ;)

Marcelo

mcplaza

Re: thanks for the 411

Post by mcplaza » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:08 am

el kayakista wrote:sometimes i just want to quit my job and take whatever it is i have in my savings account and start a new life.
Thats exactly how I feel now.

Let's join our efforts...

Marcelo

admin
Site Admin

yea, they are high on some levels

Post by admin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 am

yea, they are high. I priced out a small cabin like they are selling in just materials for myself about a year ago. ALERT: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE HASSLE OF BUILDING! The materials were going for around 5,000,000 pesos, or $10,000 US.

As I build like a Gringo, I also include lots of things that I am sure that you would not get with these houses, simple because no one uses them here. So, if you built one of these yourself, I am sure you could get one of those small cabins down to around 2,000,000 -3,000,000 in materials with the bare basics.

I had things like fiber glass insulation, asphalt roof, plywood, and double pained windows in my estimate. I have only seen thermic double pained windows in two structures in all of Chile (even in the newest, most expensive buildings in Chile). One was a hostel built by a German, the other was a hotel built by a Swiss. The energy savings would likely pay for the cost of construction alone in a couple years.

Their prices makes sense if you figure in about 2,000,000 in labor cost, plus some added profit. For those that want a fast place to live, they are likely worth it. If you have the time, the money, and the skill consider building it yourself.

Also, these are just ideas. Shop around. I am still working on getting that address to the prefab website.

Also remember, that was less than $250 a meter 4 years ago. Most of the price problems are the exchange rate based. On the other hand, that is why Chile is not Argentina or Guatemala. The country is not about to implode on itself economically or politically, and your land values along with it.

el kayakista

prefab

Post by el kayakista » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:09 am

hey charles

you said you went to go look at the construction of the prefab homes, yes? did you feel that it was pretty solid and the walls not paper thin? how much modification can you peform on these prefab homes before it collapses? ie adding extra room, adding skylites, etc... i wish they floor plans on the recantu (sp?) site.

i'm having a diffecult time in finding solar panel companies out in chile, so i was wondering if chile uses it down there. i can't recall seeing any, so i was wondering if you've seen them.

thx

admin
Site Admin

not yet

Post by admin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:29 am

sorry, have not had a chance to get out and look at any of these yet. Will do A.S.A.P.