Buying a House

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nwdiver

Re: Buying a House

Post by nwdiver » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:22 pm

Smart thing to do is have all property converted to cash for distribution to the heirs, must be set up and done properly by your Lawyer, before you die.......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:05 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:22 pm
Smart thing to do is have all property converted to cash for distribution to the heirs, must be set up and done properly by your Lawyer, before you die.......
yea, that works well, if you have a fairly good idea of when you are going to die. :lol:

In our experience doing inheritances, the number one asset that endures all the ups and downs of probate, with the least amount of expense and hassle, is real estate.

Stock portfolios, bank accounts, insurance, etc, etc, all have their issues, and in a nasty, dragged out fight between family members, a lot of that can go :fire:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm
incomplete divorces are also a kind of "ghost title". More like kind of a "ghost marriage".

which is really common, because getting divorced was / is a hassel; and only recently an option at all. I know people that have not seen each other in 40 or 50 years, and have never gotten officially divorced.
That whole story is a precautionary tale about not blindly trusting what real estate agents and their sometimes shady lawyers tell you, but I won't clog this thread up with that long novel.

In the end, my friend and her husband were about to sign the promesa and decided at the last minute to ask my husband to take a look. I guess she felt badly about asking for help or something before that, but she was lucky she did. He requested some documents from the conservador and went to the Civil Registry site where he discovered that the seller was still legally married here, along with the other issues. Of course the real estate agent and her lawyer told them everything was in order.

So, definitely have admin's company or someone else that knows what they are doing take a look at the relevant documents to see if there are issues with the title that would need to be rectified.

Five years later and my friend is still renting the house she wanted to buy. The owner seems to have lost interest in selling. I am betting it has something to do with the wife.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:01 am

gringalais wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm
incomplete divorces are also a kind of "ghost title". More like kind of a "ghost marriage".

which is really common, because getting divorced was / is a hassel; and only recently an option at all. I know people that have not seen each other in 40 or 50 years, and have never gotten officially divorced.
That whole story is a precautionary tale about not blindly trusting what real estate agents and their sometimes shady lawyers tell you, but I won't clog this thread up with that long novel.

In the end, my friend and her husband were about to sign the promesa and decided at the last minute to ask my husband to take a look. I guess she felt badly about asking for help or something before that, but she was lucky she did. He requested some documents from the conservador and went to the Civil Registry site where he discovered that the seller was still legally married here, along with the other issues. Of course the real estate agent and her lawyer told them everything was in order.

So, definitely have admin's company or someone else that knows what they are doing take a look at the relevant documents to see if there are issues with the title that would need to be rectified.

Five years later and my friend is still renting the house she wanted to buy. The owner seems to have lost interest in selling. I am betting it has something to do with the wife.
The one that always get's me is the people that will contact us for "help", but then not actually allow us to do the job correctly.

Often because they think it will save money (it never does), but there are a lot of other (strange) reasons too.

It often starts with something like 'this will be quick and easy, our last lawyer said the title was fine, and we only want you to do this little part X'; when, in fact, they don't even know, what they don't know.

Which leads to the first question, 'why is your last lawyer not handling it'?

I tell them, we either do it right, or we don't do it at all.

I am not staking our reputation on your third-cousin Vinny's legal skills. I don't know your cousin, he does not work for me, and I have no control over the quality of his work. We are not telling you something is fine, when we did not actually investigate it ourselves.

That is just recipe for disaster in Chile, and not just in real estate.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:41 am

Admin - yeah. I remember when that was going on, the lawyer for the real estate agent called my husband out of the blue and said, "what are we going to do about the situation?" My husband's response was, "there is no we!" :lol: The guy was so clueless, there is no way my he wanted to get involved with that.