home inspection

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

home inspection

Post by nikotromus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey Gang,

I'm going to take a second look at house in the south next week. Any advice from people who have actually purchased property in Chile as to what to look for?

From reading this blog, I know to take a roll of toilet paper and flush a few big wads down the toilets, and also to check to see if the breakers blow if the hair dryer runs.

I already checked the ceilings and found no signs of water damage. Additionally, I could check sinks/washer/dishwasher for leaks, check power outlets for power, check the attic (if there is one) and under the house for any damage.

Any advice on other things I could check?

Thanks in advance...

Donnybrook

Re: home inspection

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 pm

When buying a house here just assume there will be some sort of surprise down the road. Full disclosure isn't a thing, it is more like a leap of faith. The big costs would be new roof and rewiring. So maybe check those.

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Where in the South? If close I can come and take a gander.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Window leaks are good one to watch for. Water stains around the inside. I once even seen a summer house where a tree had grown through a window crack, and it was like a three inch thick branch. Yea the windows leaked a bit.

The rest of the list would crash my server.

That said, most issues can be fixed, if the person fixing them knows what they are doing.

I would make two lists. One that is bad, but fixiable; making a budget for how much extra that will cost above the sale price. A second list you would consider a deal breaker.

For me, personally with some construction experience, things like bad drywall, new floors, kitchen redo, etc, are not deal breakers. In fact, i have not seen a house in chile that i probably would not redo them to my liking anyway. A walk through sodimac will give you an estimate of materials.

Even things like bad foundations (depending on type and extent of damage), no building permits, etc, are not show stoppers); but depends on your comfort level / budget with such things.

For instants a bad post and peer foundation, in a house that is relatively new, i would consider mostly fixiable (within reason). I would factor in 5 to 10 million to fix it myself. Depends how far gone it is.

A bad concreate slab, under most circumstance a deal breaker, even though i have owned a concreate contracting biz in the states. I have seen too many "polterguiest" houses that the house was imploding to one point (e.g. a big concreate chimeney, with no support under it).

I think i tend to focus more on what the house is built on (e.g. swamp), more than what is on top. If the soil was bad, and the foundation was not built or prepped to compensate for that, most the other problems will follow ( e.g. bad floors, windows that leak, unsupported walls, load bearing supports over windows, cracked tile, etc).

All that, and if the prop is valuable enophe, who cares about the buildings. Buy a tent.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 am

Sent you a PM Julito.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 pm

From reading this blog, I know to take a roll of toilet paper and flush a few big wads down the toilets,
Do people agree with this? Chilean plumbing doesn't deal with that kind of thing, isn't what he's proposing not exactly the done thing? What if you block up the toilets for them? I suggest you ask first if you can flush down toilet paper in this property and then try it only if they say yes (or perhaps that's what you are planning).
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm
nikotromus wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 pm

From reading this blog, I know to take a roll of toilet paper and flush a few big wads down the toilets,
Do people agree with this? Chilean plumbing doesn't deal with that kind of thing, isn't what he's proposing not exactly the done thing? What if you block up the toilets for them? I suggest you ask first if you can flush down toilet paper in this property and then try it only if they say yes (or perhaps that's what you are planning).
He got the idea from another member, pretty ignorant if you ask me and not allowed. PEOPLE.....you need to have SOME common sense when doing home inspection!!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Of course I would ask for permission and do it while in the presence of the property owner.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 pm
Of course I would ask for permission and do it while in the presence of the property owner.
But beware of that permission given to you. If you clog up his drainage and paper does not flow-down, then gets clogged up, then the property owner wants you to pay to roto-rooter clogged pipe!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm

I would much rather pay that bill than buy a house that can't flush tp.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Ohh, almost forgot. See the property in the rainy season / winter.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:06 am

nikotromus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm
I would much rather pay that bill than buy a house that can't flush tp.
Just figure new plumbing into your offer........
It's all about the wine.