Ceilings in the south

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Re: Ceilings in the south

Post by nikotromus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Julto,

I would like to see photos of your work. Just click on the 'attachments' tab below. Then click on the 'Add Files' button and locate the picture on your hard drive to attach it to the thread.
Attachments
attachment.png

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for that, learning every day.

Ok, the first pic is the similar original ceiling which remains the same.

The second is the ceiling of the extension with insulation panels inserted between the joists. Lots of accurate cutting with stryrofoam flying all over the place and then the edges camouflaged with quarter rounds.

The third is a lousy shot of the skylights, fitted into North facing roof over the kitchen/living. They're "Velux" brand, widely available throughout Chile, hideously expensive in Australia but more palatable here. After double glazing they're probably the most important change we made to the house to make it more livable.

They pull natural light throughout the year, are fitted with slide down "cortinas" for Summer to keep the direct sun out if neccessary, and can be wide opened to let heat vent upwards out of the house on hot days, ie. cross flow ventilation with a door or couple of windows open. The house has a North West aspect so even on cold but sunny days in the middle of winter we sometimes find it necessary to open them up to pull the living area back down to 23 or 24C, or just pop the handle to the "vent only" position.

We opted for the manual control, a long telescopic hook rather than the remote control option.

What's probably important when it comes to Velux is finding the guy who's experienced in fitting them, not some cowboy who reckons he can. We were fortunate to know someone who knew someone who was experienced in fitting them. The architectural firm who're the local Velux agents couldn't even recommend someone! Chile...
Attachments
20171107_072532_resized.jpg
20171105_214757_resized.jpg
20171105_214730_resized.jpg

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 pm

The pics are arse about but obvious :)

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 am

Sweet! Thank you so much for sharing that!

The insulation looks really good. It reminds me of insulation for a garage door that you cut to fit. The really cool thing about that design is that you can easily take it down if you have to, like if you wanted to sell the house and show off the wood finish.

Great job!

Ryan

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 am

No sweat. The insulation panels come faced with paintable cement or plaster which also adds to the mess when cutting to shape.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

nikotromus wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 pm
I think I understand that the short answer is there is no easy fix for this. ;-)

My take away is that trying to insulate this type of ceiling from the inside would be a bad idea because of moisture problems. I finally found a youtube video where they talk about insulating cathedral ceilings. They say to add a 1 inch gap between the roof decking and insulation to allow heat to escape through the roof vent (and moisture I suppose). That was a roof with just plywood that led straight to a ridge vent.

In the situation of these wooden cathedral ceilings, even if the roof was built with a ridge vent, how would you get the air to escape to it? I guess I would have to drill holes (what could possibly go wrong there?). Everything is all closed in as you can see in the image.

I suppose another solution might be to build a drop ceiling and have a proper attic. With the lower ceiling, it would be also easier to heat and cool.
You would have to do some googling, but I have heard of people doing blown foam, completely sealing the space. There are companies in Chile that do it.

What is the roofing like?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Here is a picture of the outside. It's the best picture of the roof that I have. It's like some sort of a wood chip type roof. I've seen this style of roof in fancy golf course neighborhoods in the states but have no experience with it or no knowledge of it's quality.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg