Solid Construction

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nikotromus

Solid Construction

Post by nikotromus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

When a Chilean house is advertised as 'solid construction', does it mean that it's made of concrete with re-bar? Or is it just another way of saying it's a nice house?

Thanks in advance!

jehturner

Re: Solid Construction

Post by jehturner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 pm

I think it means concrete or clay brick, as opposed to a wooden or light metal frame covered in some sort of boarding or adobe.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks jehturner. That helps.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Think it means it does not suck.

Which of course is open to all sorts of interpretations.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 pm

The realtors I've dealt with so far in Chile should have a better game plan. None of them ever call out an issue, even when I'm staring at obvious damage. They should at least take me to see a home they know is bad so they can trash it and say "I'll show you something better, let's go". Instead they're in sell mode 24/7 and do a very poor job of it.

No buying agents, no home inspectors, no mold inspectors, no buyers comps, no MLS - "Welcome to Chile". At least I have this forum to try to find some truth.

I would have to think that that someone could make a handy profit by taking a 100 acre farm, parceling it up and selling quality homes to expats here in Chile.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 pm

But my favorite part about trying to buy a home in Chile is the owners! They're hilarious! "Thank you for adding your two cents to everything, and of course I trust you to give me unbiased information!" Now I know why the realtors in the U.S. don't want you anywhere near the property when they have a showing.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am

nikotromus wrote:I would have to think that that someone could make a handy profit by taking a 100 acre farm, parceling it up and selling quality homes to expats here in Chile.
Its been tried here already by these people among others. Not an outright fraud, I think, just wishful thinking, incompetence, and profound ignorance of the local law and customs.
Après moi, le déluge