Water is being cut off again

General topics related to Living in Chile
gringalais

Water is being cut off again

Post by gringalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Fill up some bottles while you can if you are in Santiago. They're saying 22 municipalities will be affected:
http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/2 ... -agua.html

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Water is being cut off again

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 am

This is some strange weather. Sunny and hot on the coast after most of January being overcast and not one gota to reflect what hit the Santiasco and inland area.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:43 am

This is the map:
http://www.aguasandinas.cl/emergencias

Most of Providencia seems OK this time and Las Condes is largely unaffected. Ñuñoa and La Reina are affected. The center of Santiago is affected. They are hoping to clear it up in 12 hours, so midday tomorrow.

Municipalities should have the locations of where you can go to collect water from tank trucks in each municipality. Aguas Andinas says they will also add that information to their website.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 pm

So far our part of La Reina hasn't been affected, it looks like it starts a bit more towards the Andes. I hope it stays that way.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Nothing to note in centro.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm really beginning to appreciate that my apt building has a head tank on the roof that gives 36 approx hours of water and a constant 2.7 barg minimum water pressure!

Amazingly it wasn't damaged in the terremoto.

KJS

Post by KJS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Big mudslides cut off a bunch of people around cajon de maipo, maitenes. There's a ton of silt and other contaminants that will be coming out of that water.

http://www.biobiochile.cl/2013/02/08/sa ... erra.shtml

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:I'm really beginning to appreciate that my apt building has a head tank on the roof that gives 36 approx hours of water and a constant 2.7 barg minimum water pressure!

Amazingly it wasn't damaged in the terremoto.
Every building in Perú had a roof tank which lasted 24 hrs. There was an underground tank and a pump to send the water to the roof tank. The only problem was when there was no electricity for the pump! Then you had to go downstairs and lower your bucket.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:59 pm

It cut off about an hour ago. Now they are saying that it might not be back until tomorrow. We have the tub filled, bottles of tap water and 4 1/2 big jugs of purified water. Still, it's annoying not being able to shower, and stuff like cooking and washing dishes are a pain.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:25 pm

you would think once you have to supply several million people with water, you would have a backup or two for your system.

I have to supply water to 2 people, a dog, and a cat, in one of the rainiest parts of Chile, and I have more backup options for my water system.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

malma

Post by malma » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm

That's why privatising a monopoly works out so well. Private sector makes a lot of money spending e minimum on maintaining the assets. When something goes wrong the government is indignant, but of course makes it clear that this is not their problem. Then a couple of weeks go by and everyone forgets, I mean what are you going to do not buy their water?

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm

malma wrote:That's why privatising a monopoly works out so well. Private sector makes a lot of money spending e minimum on maintaining the assets. When something goes wrong the government is indignant, but of course makes it clear that this is not their problem. Then a couple of weeks go by and everyone forgets, I mean what are you going to do not buy their water?
Almost as good as the monopolies where you can't get gas, or mail, or electricity, or water, because they don't care about providing service because who else will you use? and because they pay their people nothing because who else will you work for? and because they have wasteful entrenched managers who care nothing about doing what they are supposed to do. I lived through that crap in Uruguay. Give me privatization any day.