House insurance

General topics related to Living in Chile
jamie_m

Re: House insurance

Post by jamie_m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:32 am

Did you have to just re-cap the last few posts we already read.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:15 am

my alarm guy use to work for ADT. He went out on his own. full Install and system that has a cell phone dialer (does a bunch of other tricks I don't bother with), was about 350,000 pesos. It even has pet sensors. It calls me and a friend when the alarm goes off. Key is when the alarm goes off, even if it is a false alarm, go look. It puts anyone "testing" on notice that someone shows-up.

Basically the same system as ADT uses. Think they are all made by honeywell or one of those companies. It has been working for years without a problem. I pay every three months to renew my prepaid cell phone chip that is in it a few pesos, because it only dials out. The only service I have had done was when Chile changed the cell phone dialing rules recently, we had to update the phone numbers so it would dial correctly (yea, you could have robbed chile blind for a few days, none of the alarms were working).

We had ADT years ago, with response service for a alarms. We one time had to disconnect our phone service for the house. A month later I accidentally tripped the alarm, and nothing happened. The siren went off, but no one showed up or called for hours. We called them, and they said the marked our alarm system offline about two weeks before. No shit, and you did not bother to call, check, stop by for coffee, or otherwise find out why you morons?

Well, get this. ADT Chile was being a bunch of idiots. I contacted ADT in the United States, and threatened to sue them if anything happened here. Now, totally impractical, but sufficient to get all the executives at the top end's attention asking the excutives in Chile what the hell was going on. Two hours later I get a call from the head of ADT in Chile, who has the balls to chew us out for going over her head. No apology for not doing her job, or the error, or a discount. Nothing. She was mad that we tattled on her.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:41 am

our ADT techy tells us what to do to get it cheaper and get free cameras etc. hehehe how would you like to have him working for you. if an alarm goes off we can use a smart phone to see if its real or if the dog has ripped a curtain again :)

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Now I've moved house to proper condominio with a guard I was able to get Chilena Consolidada to insure me for home contents even though I don't have an alarm. They wouldn't attend me over the phone so they told me to go to one of their offices so I did, I went to the one in Santiago Centro, and when I got there they redirected to the other office at Apoquindo 5550, which is in Las Condes area a short walk down from metro Manquehue. Quite a big and modern and stylish office they have there. Although it looked better on the surface. Computer systems were giving errors, they couldn't take payment by card, they had webpay instead (ugh, don't get me started on that). So, in the end agreed to pay later. Was there for about an hour to get a quote.

Apparently I need to get a fire extinguisher if I want the fire part of the policy to actually be valid.

They only cover urban areas rather than rural so some debate there as my house was sort of borderline, before it got accepted.

Price 99,000 for sismo+robo+incendio with UF2 damage deducible, UF5 robbery deducible. UF25 for sismo, tsunami o maremoto. That is a strange wording, aren't tsunami and maremoto the same thing, maybe it means tsunami/maremoto. Anyway, if there is a big enough maremoto to reach my house this far inland something tells me the insurance company won't be answering the phones anyway. Still, quite a big sismo deducible (650,000).

Asked them to insure my for up to 6 million pesos, so they did (similar UF number).

I don't need receipts on the claims, they don't expect that. Except on laptops but not on other items.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

john

Post by john » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Cannot see the logic in insuring for home contents in a guarded building. Also, why the need to insure for sismo or incendio if in a rental unit?
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 am

john wrote:Cannot see the logic in insuring for home contents in a guarded building. Also, why the need to insure for sismo or incendio if in a rental unit?
Are you a troll?

If you have $5.000.000+ of stuff say, and it gets destroyed, you might want to claim to get it back, you know everything you use in your day to day life.

And doesnt matter how good you think your security is, whats it guarded by, a dog that can be poisened or a guard to be bribed or lazy and hasy human floors himself, there is tricks been used to get around most security.

in the case above one guard in whole condominium does not provide much security, my neighbours who were robbed can vouch for that.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

Robberies do occur in guarded areas. It is a large condominio of ~100 houses in the countryside and vehicles are constantly going in and out. The guards are bound to let someone pass now and then because they don't want to challenge someone only to find that they actually live there.

One of the robberies that happened here happened on the day a replacement guard was in covering for someone, and the video showed him just letting the thieves in.

The other issue is that lots of people are constantly working in the condominio, building new houses, doing jobs in houses, installing services, house help. These people often known which houses are empty at what times and this is blamed for the robberies. The typical suspicion is that someone passes information to a friend. I am not sure what is true and what is prejudice because people often seem to be guessing rather than having hard evidence but most robberies seem to be blamed on this type of thing.

The other issue is that there may be a guard on the vehicular entrances, but that only stops vehicles. Anyone determined enough to enter on foot by climbing a hedge or a tree could do so. It is probably a couple of miles the circumference of the whole place. There are bound to be weak points.

On the earthquake coverage, that is for an earthquake large enough to knock over furniture or for an earthquake large enough to destroy the house, which would result in significant loss or damage or possessions. It is pretty unlikely, but it just comes with the coverage.

I think to some extent I want a bit of peace of mind. I may end up paying more in insurance than claiming but at least I won't be sweating as much every time I lock the house and go away for a week. Since we don't have an alarm or dogs or much contact with neighbours, and it's a 1-floor house, there might be too many risk factors to do without insurance.

The one thing I recommend is to hide valuables. You are going to need at least 30 minutes of throwing open drawers and looking under things to find my valuables. No-one who gets in the house for 5 minutes before getting scared off is going to get anything good.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:17 am

I had a bunch of stuff destroyed by a leaky roof in a house we were renting. The insurance company paid. Not only paid, but paid more than the stuff was worth.

We typically split the bill with the land lord. They pay for the structural part, we pay for the contents part. Everyone's rear is covered at a reasonable price.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:13 pm

john wrote:Cannot see the logic in insuring for home contents in a guarded building. Also, why the need to insure for sismo or incendio if in a rental unit?
That's probably the silliest comment I've see you make John. You've either been drinking or you have bottomless pockets :)

john

Post by john » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:56 pm

jamie_m wrote:
That's probably the silliest comment I've see you make John. You've either been drinking or you have bottomless pockets :)
Mea culpa! I blame my moment of insanity on my euphoria from Northern Ireland's win in Euro'16. :lol: But, it more likely has to do with the false sense of security I have living in a high-rise complex with 24/7 security. :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Yeah apartment blocks are the safest place in Santiago by a long way.

But you can end up paying relatively high gasto communas compared to the value of the property I found.

The other clasaic in condominiums is they steal a car from a house, the guard recognises the car and.opens the barrier before realising its the wrong person driving if they see in it at all.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm

We had someone throw a stone through a window. We are renting but the landlord does not cover the cost of windows because they are not part of the structure of the house - they said they would pay repairs when I let the house, contract was ambiguous. It definately does seem that the renter's repair obligations here are higher than what I would be used to (UK).

I called Chilena Consolidada which is my segurohogarfacil home content's insurance, and they were very professional, and sent someone out and fixed the window within the same day. However, they only covered me the first 2UF of the window, so I still had to pay just over 100,000. However, that seems reasonable for a 1.5x2m window.