Movistar, Claro, Entel cell users, deactivate this default!!

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Movistar, Claro, Entel cell users, deactivate this default!!

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello AllChile,

Did you know that Movistar, Claro and Entel by default automatically charge for all your calls not answered by your recipient?

This is a message from a recently fired Movistar employee (someone in the family) :
ATENCIÓN A TODOS LOS QUE TENGAN CELULARES COMPAÑÍA
CLARO, ENTEL O MOVISTAR, CUIDADO !!
Nos están ROBANDO de manera hormiga. Los celulares vienen
con la opción de "DESVÍO DE LLAMADA ACTIVADO" preestablecido por
sistema, ésto significa que cuando tu llamas y no te contestan, "el
sistema" asume que realizaste la llamada y TE LA COBRA!
seas prepago o descontándolo de tu plan.
¿Como desactivar esto?
Marque en su teclado ##002# luego pulse llamar y aparecerá un mensaje
indicándote su desactivación del sistema........ DIFUNDIR!
IOW, enter
##002#
and then Send to deactivate this default.

---"E" tip of the day
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Aysen

Re: Movistar, Claro, Entel cell users, deactivate this defau

Post by Aysen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Is this confirmed or is it in the rumor stage still?

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Of course mobiles come with call forwarding activated because that's how voicemail works, when the called party doesn't answer, the incoming call is forwarded to the voice mailbox. If you enter "##002#" then I expect you will no longer have voicemail.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm

indicándote su desactivación del sistema.
Well the auto sent deactivation message seems to be real and not a rumor.

Again, former 6 year Movistar employee manager just trying to stick some back to his old employer.

- Søren Kierkegaard

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmmm the hubby who works in the industry says there should be no charge. I sent the link to a manager of one of the aforementioned companies who can confirm or deny it for us.
We agree to disagree.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Hello AllChile,

Did you know that Movistar, Claro and Entel by default automatically charge for all your calls not answered by your recipient?

This is a message from a recently fired Movistar employee (someone in the family) :
ATENCIÓN A TODOS LOS QUE TENGAN CELULARES COMPAÑÍA
CLARO, ENTEL O MOVISTAR, CUIDADO !!
Nos están ROBANDO de manera hormiga. Los celulares vienen
con la opción de "DESVÍO DE LLAMADA ACTIVADO" preestablecido por
sistema, ésto significa que cuando tu llamas y no te contestan, "el
sistema" asume que realizaste la llamada y TE LA COBRA!
seas prepago o descontándolo de tu plan.
¿Como desactivar esto?
indicándote su desactivación del sistema........ DIFUNDIR!
IOW, enter
##002#
and then Send to deactivate this default.

---"E" tip of the day
eeuunikkeiexpat-San, So Chile is emulating, Americas Cell/wireless companies practices of making money by robbing Americas Cell subscribers of the 90's..Back then in earlier parts of 90's when I 1st subscribed for Cell services via now defunct/renamed Pacific Telesis, each time I received a Cell phone bills, all the calls that didn't go through ware charged to both parties,(later foundout).! After many of us complaining, the FCC mandated them to stop these practices. I remember being told by friends that had the wireless services then that the Telephone companies are charging for calls to them even when never comunication established. We got away from that shameful Cell phone service robbery back in the 90's but the Latin Americans are still doing it.? NO FCC of any sort in Chile.? I guess not, by not ruling against the Wireless companies doing business in Chile,the already rich politicians of Chile, is getting richer and fatter ever.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Yea, there are a couple things they are doing to screw their customers I have heard about.

For internet using your cell, some of the companies will boot you if you are the lowest signal connection on the tower and there are other connections that are stronger in the slots that come on. It keeps them looking good.

The other one I have heard is them charging for partial bandwidth use. Can not recall how this works, but essentially they are rounding up the KB you download. So say you get 500 bites, they subtract a kb from your plan that month.

My all time favourite was "3G" from Claro. When you read the contract, 3G is 3 gigbites of data per month. It is not a connection speed or technology. Did not matter, their connection sucks so bad that you would never get either one.

Recently, I have noticed movistar when in the central regions being almost useless. Dropped calls, internet connections dropped. I am out in the sticks, and most days get excellent connections. All the marks of a saturated oversold network. Our connection only becomes really unstable like they do in the central regions on the weekends when all the people from Santiago are visiting the lake.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

momof3 wrote:Hmmm the hubby who works in the industry says there should be no charge. I sent the link to a manager of one of the aforementioned companies who can confirm or deny it for us.
Agreed, there should be no charge until the voicemail picks up.
HybridAmbassador wrote:So Chile is emulating, Americas Cell/wireless companies practices of making money by robbing Americas Cell subscribers of the 90's..Back then in earlier parts of 90's when I 1st subscribed for Cell services via now defunct/renamed Pacific Telesis, each time I received a Cell phone bills, all the calls that didn't go through ware charged to both parties,(later foundout).
No, in the US there were all sorts of weird schemes like CPP and CPPP (calling party pays, and calling party pays plus), as well as mobile numbers having the same area code as fixed numbers, which fortunately haven't made it to South America. Completely different environment.
admin wrote:For internet using your cell, some of the companies will boot you if you are the lowest signal connection on the tower and there are other connections that are stronger in the slots that come on. It keeps them looking good.
No, it doesn't happen like this. Mobiles closer to the network antenna will get higher throughput, due to more efficient modulation schemes being possible with a better quality radio connection. Also, mobiles capable of sustaining higher throughput may be scheduled more often. But an ongoing call means revenue, and nobody deliberately drops one (except in certain very specific circumstances like a higher priority call coming in).
admin wrote:The other one I have heard is them charging for partial bandwidth use. Can not recall how this works, but essentially they are rounding up the KB you download. So say you get 500 bites, they subtract a kb from your plan that month.

My all time favourite was "3G" from Claro. When you read the contract, 3G is 3 gigbites of data per month. It is not a connection speed or technology. Did not matter, their connection sucks so bad that you would never get either one.
Round up is fairly common in the billing process, and of course MBs might only be 1000 bytes instead of 1024.There's no cure for marketing unfortunately, but it's a universal plague, not just Chilean, for example I believe US operators were offering 4G services before the network equipment was available.
admin wrote:Recently, I have noticed movistar when in the central regions being almost useless. Dropped calls, internet connections dropped. I am out in the sticks, and most days get excellent connections. All the marks of a saturated oversold network. Our connection only becomes really unstable like they do in the central regions on the weekends when all the people from Santiago are visiting the lake.
I haven't worked with Movistar in Chile but yes the central region is probably quite congested, lots of people with lots of smartphones.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

dadof3

Post by dadof3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:49 pm

It's confirmed, they charge you, but I'm not sure if the above code will render your voicemail useless or if it will block you from getting access to other people's voicemail. To be on the safe side, hang up the phone when you hear the lady say that you will be transferred to a voicemail box.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:00 pm

dadof3 wrote:It's confirmed, they charge you, but I'm not sure if the above code will render your voicemail useless or if it will block you from getting access to other people's voicemail. To be on the safe side, hang up the phone when you hear the lady say that you will be transferred to a voicemail box.

So not everything "E" post is questionable :roll: .

- Søren Kierkegaard

dadof3

Post by dadof3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
dadof3 wrote:It's confirmed, they charge you, but I'm not sure if the above code will render your voicemail useless or if it will block you from getting access to other people's voicemail. To be on the safe side, hang up the phone when you hear the lady say that you will be transferred to a voicemail box.

So not everything "E" post is questionable :roll: .
i wouldn't go THAT far. :P