I am trapped in chile for life.

General topics related to Living in Chile
zer0nz

Re: I am trapped in chile for life.

Post by zer0nz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 pm

go back to the cops and ask for your passport, tell them you need it to pay the fine so you can leave the country, if they dont believe you ask them to come with you, if not go to your embassy. im sure its illegal to take passports??????

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 pm

10-20 days is overstaying, 9 months is stupid, it’s not like its expensive or difficult to travel out of Chile then return every 90 days. Since you like it so much now you have to stay ;)
It's all about the wine.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 pm

So you are an illegal alien and they won't deport you. Hmmm
We agree to disagree.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:19 pm

You are only trapped for life if you do like zer0nz said recently, chase a Chilean woman and create kids :P .

Really, let this be a warning to all the idiots who think they can kick the ball around on this ( like in Argie land ).

I was on a tourist visa for 10 years + and NEVER overstayed. Not ever. I know it is only a fine, but that mark may have counted against me when I did apply for official residency.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

moravagine

Post by moravagine » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I overstayed once for about 8 months, and absolutely nothing happened when I finally left from the airport in Santiago. They didn't even look at my passport funny.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 pm

There's something missing in this story. Presumably you pay the fine and you can leave. Or perhaps they want to know how you have supported yourself for 9 months?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm

You weren't "working" were ya and gave the slightest indication of such to the hard asses at Extranjería?

Something does seem off here and the PDI can't tell you why?

File this under admin's, things are a changing at swamped Extranjería.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 pm

I had a look around the net. The problem may well be that they want to know if you were working while you were here. They found a woman working on a tourist visa in Viña over the last holiday weekend and the article said they send the information to the Intendencia. Presumably the whole process can take a long time while the Intendencia decides what to do or kicks it back to the PDI. I don't know if your embassy will help as you were in the country illegally, but it is worth asking what the process might be. Or you may have done that. More details would be helpful. Did they stop you at the airport or where?

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 am

MichaelMansini wrote:Overstayed my visa for 9 months.

The police confiscated my passport and wont give it back until i sort things out at the extranjeria

The two guys working on this at the extanjeria absolutely hate my guts and will not do a thing for me. I wait in line for literally 2 hours, they see me and tell me to get lost.

There is one woman who is extremely nice and helpful, but she is subordinate to the two guys and cant help me against their hatred.

I have just one thing to say to you all. Dont ever, ever, ever, overstay your visa in chile.
Have you visited the embassy in person and reported it to them? A US Embassy official can ask for your passport for you, they have to turn it over to them since it's property of the US government.

You could also play dumb, say you lost it, get a replacement and then board the plane.....I don't how that works in Chile though.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 am

Probably not wise to say you lost your passport...you do have to sign your name with some kind of oath about what happened to you passport as I recall...just sayin.

I just don't understand them keeping your passport?!?!?! You should be able to pay your fine and high-tail it on out of there. Maybe, if you have some funds you can get an attorney to help you get on with it all

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 am

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:I just don't understand them keeping your passport?!?!?! You should be able to pay your fine and high-tail it on out of there. Maybe, if you have some funds you can get an attorney to help you get on with it all
The thing is that if he worked, or they think he did, it is more complicated. He might owe taxes, he might have a connection to drugs. They are going to want to have a look. Nine months plus his originally allowed three is a year in the country. I think the problem is the question of how he supported himself over that year.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am

Anyone else want to recommend that it is "no problem, just pay a fine" to overstay? Is it worth the risk when for a much cheaper "price" one could have had a nice reprieve from Santiasco, a nice ride through of the Andes, cheap steak accompanied with Malbec or a beer while listening to charming Argentina accents and watching Argentina eyecandy?

- Søren Kierkegaard