Telephone Scams

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Telephone Scams

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 pm

I haven't seen this seen this topic here and this type of scam is becoming quite common.
How it works: you will get a call on your fixed-line phone allegedly from Carabineros. The caller maybe knows your name, and the name of someone in your family, preferably a not-too-close relative, say a nephew, who lives in another town (information they obtain from previous phone calls).

In the most common variant of this scam you will be told that this nephew has been involved in a car accident, where a child has been seriously injured; to avoid the nephew going to jail, you will have to make an immediate payout to the child's family, sometimes they ask for cash, sometimes for small valuables such as jewellery.
They also target homes where only a nana is around during the daytime as they can be more easily conned and often know where the household valuables are located.

Having received several of these calls recently, here is what I know:
These calls are invariably from cellphones to fixed line phones. The reasons for that is that they are targeting a household, and since most fixed lines here don't have caller ID, the source of the call cannot be identified. It is pretty unlikely that you would be contacted in this way from the real authorities.
The police are not interested. I contacted the PDI a couple of times after the first couple of calls,with the callerIDs and voice recordings. But apparently they can only act after a fraud has been committed. No hay leyes
These calls often originate from inside prisons, using stolen cellphones. You may wonder why Cellphone jammers are not installed. The apparent reason is that the police routinely monitor cellphone traffic from these places to get information about more serious crime, so they let these relatively minor abuses continue.

I recommend getting callerID, it only costs $2.500 a month on a Movistar line.
Instruct all your family, including nanas, kids etc, with access to that phone not to give out any personal information to unknown callers, no matter who they say they are.

If you want more info, search results here:
http://buscador.emol.com/dispatcher.php ... 20Mercurio
A case as described above:
http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/2 ... pital.html

Don´t think it can't happen to you!
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Donnybrook

Re: Telephone Scams

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 pm

I got a spate of these calls but they were "Hola, tía!" Guess who this is, your favourite nephew. I suppose I was supposed to say a name then so they had a name to use in a later call from "Carabineros". The first couple of calls I just said they had the wrong number and hung up. Then I started inventing very unusual names like Erasmo or Diosdado. Finally I told the guy that I seriously hoped he had not bought some sort of list because I had had many calls before his and he was wasting his time. He laughed and said fine then hung up.

We got one call supposedly coming from Carabineros years ago from someone supposedly calling for "our gardener", who was in trouble and needed money. Since we have never had a gardener, it backfired.

I also had one from "Jumbo" saying I had won a prize. Since I didn't seem excited, the guy kept saying "and that's not all", adding prizes right left and center. He kept saying I didn't sound excited. At the end, all I had to do was buy a lot of phone cards (!!) and I would get my prizes. When I said I didn't have a mobile phone, he cursed at 10 mins wasted and hung up.

Nanas are sometimes vulnerable to these calls and you need to explain the various possible phone scams, the need to never give any information out over the phone. If your Spanish isn't up to it, get them to read these:
http://www.chile.com/secciones/ver_secc ... ?id=121617
http://www.policia.cl/paginas/prevencio ... repago.htm

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Donnybrook wrote:"Hola, tía!" Guess who this is, your favourite nephew
Yup, had them too. "Hola tio" in my case....
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm

This is about the only time where NOT speaking Spanish helps.
We know to NEVER say "yes" on the phone and just keep repeating "Lo siento. No hablo espanol" until they hang up.
Maybe someday my Spanish will be good enough to get scammed, or at least confirm an online purchase or delivery.
I know...not much of an upside.
Scout's Honor

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:45 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:"Hola, tía!" Guess who this is, your favourite nephew
Yup, had them too. "Hola tio" in my case....
Que raro... ni tengo un sobrino...

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh, that reminds me of a weird call I got some time ago, supposedly carabineros called me to inform me that someone living in my household had been involved in a car accident, that this person was inconcious and that they were calling the number on his cellphone indicating "casa" (-> my number). After I had told them it was impossible, since my boyfriend was at home, they hung up on me and so I never found out in what consisted the actual scam, but I still kind of panicked after the call and even started to call ex room mates to make sure they were okay:)

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I have had a couple too. One said something about finding my home number in the glove compartment of a car that had crashed. The other asked for the nana. My husband says that maybe my voice sounded like a kid so they thought I would pass the phone to the nana to try the scam on her. The first time I contacted the police, but they didn't seem interested, they just said it sounded like I was right, it was a scam and I did the right hin hanging up. So, the second time I didn't do anything.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 pm

swdchile wrote:This is about the only time where NOT speaking Spanish helps.
We know to NEVER say "yes" on the phone and just keep repeating "Lo siento. No hablo espanol" until they hang up.
Maybe someday my Spanish will be good enough to get scammed, or at least confirm an online purchase or delivery.
I know...not much of an upside.
Good one! Same here for sales calls and ...I thought...for Jehovas Witnesses. I know they mean well, but sheesh, can't get away from them no matter where ya are in the world. Unfortunately they have their Watchtower tracts and talking points in numerous languages.

The phone card scam is here in Panama as well.