Is everything in Santiago ?

General topics related to Living in Chile
sandrab

Is everything in Santiago ?

Post by sandrab » Tue May 22, 2012 1:49 pm

It seems like most of the expats and activities are in Santiago ? I live in quilpue and feel lost when it comes to things to do.
I have a friend who runs a cafe in vina but even that is a bit far to get to. Maybe the area here is not great for expat meetings :(.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Is everything in Santiago ?

Post by admin » Tue May 22, 2012 2:46 pm

I would say there are various points in Chile with concentrations of expats, some of which are more social than others. Puerto Varas / Puerto Montt / Frutillar / the lakes region has a pretty big concentration. Pucon / Villarrica to some extent. Vina / valpo of course. A few other locations out there. Santiago has a lot of both long-term and short-term expats. Lots of economic mercenaries that are here for such short time, they are not even sure what country they are in (Tuesday, must be Shanghai sorts). I believe a lot of the long-term expats living in Santiago tend to fall off the expat grid after a while as they settle in to a life that does not really require interaction with the foreign community.

There are also some pretty remote areas in Chile that have concentrations of expats, that just don't really interact with each other. That is often by design. Lots of expats move to Chile, and are not all that keen on meeting other expats or hanging out with them. They got their own thing going on.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

California South

Post by California South » Thu May 24, 2012 1:02 am

I was under the impression that La Serena has a concentration of expats also?
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

momof3

Post by momof3 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 am

Chicureo is growing a fair population of expats. They tend to isolate themselves on parcelas or in condominios though. They have German, British and soon a French school here so I assume those expats must be somewhere nearby as well.
We agree to disagree.

griffin

Post by griffin » Thu May 24, 2012 11:08 am

There are also many expat groups in the North, usually the members are working in astronomy, mining, import/export etc. Here in La Serena we have a fair number of retirees too.

LightAges

Post by LightAges » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I am one of those working in the north in astronomy, amongst other things. After being in Santiago many times and for some extended time, I can say that Santiago has nowhere near everything. It certainly is the centre of commerce and there are more things available, but there are so so so many things not available in Chile I have been shocked many times. My humble advice is live where the land makes you happy and the people won't drive you insane and get everything missing from North America.