No country for the anal-retentive

General topics related to Living in Chile
bettybottles

Re: No country for the anal-retentive

Post by bettybottles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I was there years ago, and my sister lives in a nearby town.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 pm

February is hell on most parts of the southern V Region coast, Isla Negra is no exception being tucked between El Tabo and El Quisco.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

bettybottles

Post by bettybottles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Bad time? What part of summer is good?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 pm

The first two weeks of December and March. Mid-December onwards, school is out, Christmas, New Year's. January, Argentina vacation month. February, Chile vacation month, flaite invasion of the central coast.

- Søren Kierkegaard

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:59 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:The first two weeks of December and March. Mid-December onwards, school is out, Christmas, New Year's. January, Argentina vacation month. February, Chile vacation month, flaite invasion of the central coast.
Actually last year's January was good (here anyway), since the Argentines were still trying to figure out how to get dollars for their vacations. They showed up in February instead here in La Serena. Argentina is cracking down more all the time on buying dollars, so they may not show up at all this year, who knows.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:09 am

I would love a more peaceful January thought the tourist industry certainly won't (actually, we don't get that many Argies this far south in the V Region). Now the unbehaved jovenes out of school...

- Søren Kierkegaard

Al Nariz

Post by Al Nariz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

hlf2888 wrote: Driving, being super cautious, following the speed limit and before turning left, using the left turn signal with ample notice to all that I am turning left. The idiot behind me thought I was going too slow and decided to pass me on the left when I was turning left. I was able to stop in time and learn not to assume once again.
I can't speak for Chile (so why am I here? granted) but in Mexico a left turn signal means a) I plan to turn left, unless it means b) I am going straight ahead and it's OK to pass me because the way ahead is clear, unless it means c) I have my four-way flashers on for a reason known only to me, but my right tail light is burned out.

Here in Uruguay, I have one friend who slowed and stopped to turn left, with plenty of warning, on a wide two-lane road. The car behind ran into him, because he should have been on the right shoulder with his left turn signal on, so apparently couldn't be where he was, stopped in the road waiting to turn left. Another friend, turning left with signal into his driveway on a narrow dirt road, was struck by a motorcycle going a moderate speed that simply decided that was the time to pass on the left. It's not just Chile.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm

In Argentina as well the accepted practice (not sure if it is in the ley de tránsito) is to move onto the right hand hard shoulder, indicator on, and wait for a gap to turn left. I suppose it is sensible as long as everyone does it.

otravers

Post by otravers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Roads with hard shoulders in South America? Where? The roads themselves are not properly paved.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:43 pm

thanks LightAges but I am 5 hours away from Santiago. Not ready to go back to 'first world country' yet.
ElPincheViejo, yup, you're right, everything is perspective.
Ryanar: I prefer 'other world'.
bettybottles: ever heard of starting a topic instead of hijacking one?

Al Nariz: one consolation is everyone in my small town drives slow so a fender bender does not mean injury except of pride. They do everything slow here, except talk.

I visited Uruguay. There were some really aggressive drivers on the main highway. Haven't found that here. Stupidity yes, aggression no. I now realize the left turn signal means 'I am about to do something stupid'. :-)

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:10 pm

otravers wrote:Roads with hard shoulders in South America? Where? The roads themselves are not properly paved.
Obviously at least in Argentina and Uruguay!