How to do it yourself : Home maintenence 101 in Chile.

General topics related to Living in Chile
momof3

How to do it yourself : Home maintenence 101 in Chile.

Post by momof3 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:11 am

I find myself in desperate need of practical advice regarding home maintenence. I am accustomed to at least attempting to solve a problem myself before calling a maestro/handyman. Unfortunately everyone I have sought council with defers immediately to their employees who in turn would rather I hire then than consult them. The internet seems like the way to go but honestly one needs to understand the local standards , methods and terminology to get the job done. So let's get started "sipo"?

ONE string of pitiful Christmas lights plugged in outside knocked out the electricity in 1/3 of our home. We spent all morning unplugging 'till the circuit breaker went back to normal. Items plugged in: radio alarm clock, cell phone charger, laptop charger,wifi and electric gate. Is it really possible that one string of lights (left on) did this? The kids miss seeing Christmas lights in the USA and this was our token effort. PS We also celebrate 3 Kings Day in January so, (sniffle) for the kids, it would be nice to plug them in again without fear of knocking out all the power again.
We agree to disagree.

zer0nz

Re: How to do it yourself : Home maintenence 101 in Chile.

Post by zer0nz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 am

either two things....

1. you have a badly wired chilean home with one breaker that is overloaded....... in this case, find another circuit or point in the house on another breaker..... you are probably lucky enough your house only has 1 circuit, therefore you are doomed!

or

2. your lights have a short and should be fixed, this is rather dangerous.....

momof3

Post by momof3 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:01 am

Socovesa ring a bell?
We agree to disagree.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 am

Some if not most of the Christmas tree lights sold in Chile look rather suspect safety-wise. I would not go out of the house and leave them turned on. I recently bought a new LED string that appeared marginally better made than others I had looked at (including a European and a Chilean certification stamp) and of course doesn't heat up like incandescent lamps (which can get very hot). Before I even had a chance to put them up, one of the connections came apart while they were just sitting on the table. It being Christmas eve already and only 1 light out of 100 (with at least ~30 in series), I just cut out the offending LED and soldered & taped the wires back together a la Chilena... (well, almost).

James.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:33 am

yea, there is socovesa and then there is socovesa. Depends on which of their products you buy, the discount rip off the poor people or the better built custom semi-custom high priced stuff.

That said, rented a new socovesa house in Temuco for a while. There was a short in the kitchen that was snapping the breaker in the entire house if we even slightly overloaded certain circuits. To their credit their electricians spent two days trying to fix it under the warranty, then finally just pulled all the wiring in the kitchen and replaced it (which took about 2 hours once they decided to go that route). They did the same with a leak in the bathroom, and properly replaced (well as proper as it gets in Chile ) all the tile around the tub after the repair to the pipes and painted the ceiling in the kitchen that was damaged.

I have mixed feelings about Socovesa. The house I lived in was fundamentally well built, and road out the earthquake in it. We never had a problem getting them to repair the things that were under warrenty.

On the other hand I would never buy one of their houses. The architecture was absolutely not designed for a human to live in.

There are much worse dwellings and construction companies in Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 am

admin wrote:yea, there is socovesa and then there is socovesa. Depends on which of their products you buy, the discount rip off the poor people or the better built custom semi-custom high priced stuff.

That said, rented a new socovesa house in Temuco for a while. There was a short in the kitchen that was snapping the breaker in the entire house if we even slightly overloaded certain circuits. To their credit their electricians spent two days trying to fix it under the warranty, then finally just pulled all the wiring in the kitchen and replaced it (which took about 2 hours once they decided to go that route). They did the same with a leak in the bathroom, and properly replaced (well as proper as it gets in Chile ) all the tile around the tub after the repair to the pipes and painted the ceiling in the kitchen that was damaged.

I have mixed feelings about Socovesa. The house I lived in was fundamentally well built, and road out the earthquake in it. We never had a problem getting them to repair the things that were under warrenty.

On the other hand I would never buy one of their houses. The architecture was absolutely not designed for a human to live in.

There are much worse dwellings and construction companies in Chile.

havent come accross a road in chile designed for cars, or a house/apartment designed for humans, there is always something wrong with the design, like toilets no one can fit into!

john

Post by john » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 pm

[quote="zer0nzOn the other hand I would never buy one of their houses. The architecture was absolutely not designed for a human to live in. [/quote]

havent come accross a road in chile designed for cars, or a house/apartment designed for humans, there is always something wrong with the design, like toilets no one can fit into![/quote]

My wife and I are quite pleased with the design, quality, workmanship, and functionality of our apartment. And, no, it isn't a Socovesa building.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:56 pm

patagoniax wrote:May be a good time to mention that those "CE" indications on Chinese-made electrical products sold in Chile mean very little.
Yeah, I suspected as much, but on the other hand that makes me worry all the more when it DOESN'T have the CE!

momof3

Post by momof3 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Well folks, case closed, I'm an idiot :oops: . Socovesa is free to go.
This one ranks right up there with the time my hubby called Moviestar to fix the internet. We had it all of one week until poof, no tv, no internet nada. After many failed attempts at overanalyzing the situation my husband had me call the Moviestar rep who fixed it by....plugging it in that cute little black box.
Now I feel obligated to present a legitimate problem that goes beyond oh...reading and a basic IQ level. Must not waste all of this unrequited wisdom. Somehow I don't think it should take too long.
Attachments
rtfm.jpg
rtfm.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
We agree to disagree.

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

I think she was referring to the "solo para uso interior," meaning the lights won't stand up to any significant atmospheric moisture. Although if it was dry out when the lights failed, you should still be able to blame the manufacturer....

john

Post by john » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 pm

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:My wife and I are quite pleased with the design, quality, workmanship, and functionality of our apartment.
Only here for a few months and already he has adopted Chilean standards !
Actually, we bought our apartment three years ago and have been living in it, intermittently, since then. It seems you are unaware of the exacting construction standards widely in use in Region V. :P
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:59 pm

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:My wife and I are quite pleased with the design, quality, workmanship, and functionality of our apartment.
Only here for a few months and already he has adopted Chilean standards !
Actually, we bought our apartment three years ago and have been living in it, intermittently, since then. It seems you are unaware of the exacting construction standards widely in use in Region V. :P
You truly are always good for a laugh.
Glad to have brought you a little bit of Christmas cheer! :)
--- Bertrand Russell