Best option to order items from US?

General topics related to Living in Chile
audeo13

Best option to order items from US?

Post by audeo13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey guys, did a quick search but got nothing... am wondering what the easiest, safest option is for ordering stuff online from the States? I usually have my mom bring me stuff but she hasn't come for a visit in months and I need something by next month. Specifically off of Amazon. Anyone have good/bad experiences ordering directly from Amazon? Am debating whether to order directly or ship to a friend and have them send it to me...

Any helpful advice is appreciated, thanks!
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

griffin

Re: Best option to order items from US?

Post by griffin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

I have had reasonable success ordering books from Amazon, although the post office for some reason made me pick up the package, still in a huge airmail bag, rather than delivering it to my house. One of several deliveries did go missing along the way, luckily not a large one, and delivery times were reasonable, around 3 weeks as best as I can recall.

Be aware that not everything on Amazon is available for international delivery. But at least anything they will deliver shouldn't have problems with customs. Once the package leaves the U.S., forget tracking it though. It'll come or it won't.

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Hmmm, my problem is I need to order an electronic item. It's not big (livescribe pen) and the notebooks that go with it. They do deliver internationally, but I do worry about something going conveniently missing... I also need it no later than September 20th, as it's to take to a conference with me.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:38 pm

audeo13 wrote:Hmmm, my problem is I need to order an electronic item. It's not big (livescribe pen) and the notebooks that go with it. They do deliver internationally, but I do worry about something going conveniently missing... I also need it no later than September 20th, as it's to take to a conference with me.

Im sure you canbuy those in chile,

If the company uses fedex, dhl, tnt, ups it will arrive without problem worse case you need to pay tax,

if you want to lower the cost you can use eshopex.com a service where you send it to miami and then they send it here, the time it takes from miami to here is between 4 - 7 days,

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:39 pm

http://www.pulse.cl/

i knew you could :)

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, except that it's ridiculously marked up. I don't mind the small markup they have on the notebooks, that's reasonable. But they've doubled the price of the pen itself. At that point, I would rather order from the US and if I get charged customs fee, well so be it, but I'd rather hedge my bets.

The link you sent is actually the cheapest I"ve seen it in Chile as well. As for using a courier, I've read all sorts of horror stories on here about people using UPS, DHL and FedEx. Checking out this eshopex service you've mentioned. Thank you for all the suggestions though, much appreciated. Keep 'em coming ;)

Has anyone used eshopex successfully? Trying to find out if they insure their shipments...