can you purchase a creme brulee torch in Santiago?

General topics related to Living in Chile
siri

can you purchase a creme brulee torch in Santiago?

Post by siri » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 pm

hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to Santiago. I just arrived here a week ago. I was wondering if anyone on this forum might know if it is possible to purchase a creme brulee torch in Santiago and if so, where? I use a creme brulee (butane) torch to make silver jewelry as a hobby, but I wasn't allowed to bring my torch in my luggage on the plane when I moved here. So, I'm trying to find out if i can purchase a new one here or have a friend mail me mine from the states. Any help on places to look in Santiago would be much appreciated.

On another note, if anyone has any ideas of places to take metalworking / jewlery classes in Santiago, I would be very interested in that info as well.

Thanks!

zer0nz

Re: can you purchase a creme brulee torch in Santiago?

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 pm

1 i will confrim that there is jewlery classes in santiago, they were available on groupon a couple of months ago, chileans love arty stuff
2 there eis creme brulee in chile, and butane torches, try sodimac or easy to start with....

try los dominicos.... if your got good spanish, walk around and talk to the people, if you have bad spanish some talk english....

So, in conclusion, they are both available, keep looking.....

moravagine

Post by moravagine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 am

Sodimac have a few different models of butane torches in the kitchen section, try there

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 am

Yes, I bought a creme brulee torch at Kitchen Republic on Avda Luis Pasteur, Vitacura a few weeks ago (from memory, they had two different strengths/sizes). The gas cans with butane gas to refill is available at tobacco shops all over Santiago.

siri

Post by siri » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the tips guys!

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Can't you use an everyday "soplete" (soldering blow torch) from the Sodimac or Easy?

KJS

Post by KJS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 pm

You can also try a cooking shop in Pueblo del Ingles in Vitacura near the traffic circle on Avda. Vitacura and Avda. Manquehue. I've seen some near La Vega market in cooking and hardware stores, but can't remember where exactly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Yea, you should have a look at the plumbing section of sodimac. They had like 10 diffrent ones, and sodder is softer than silver (I think).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

siri

Post by siri » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow, thanks again for all the tips. I'm super psyched by all the responses! I'm going to check out Sodimac tomorrow since there is one close by. I haven't been to that store before. Any torch that is at least as strong at a creme brulee torch should work for fusing fine silver together without solder.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 pm

admin wrote:Yea, you should have a look at the plumbing section of sodimac. They had like 10 diffrent ones, and sodder is softer than silver (I think).
I think that might be the problem if the OP wants to fuse silver... solder, at least the tin / lead kind used in electronics, has a very low melting point, much lower than silver. I've never used a solder blowtorch though, on the whole preferring to repair my mobile phone electronics rather than cremate them.

Creme Brulee torches are used in Sushi restaurants as well... which is the real point of my reply 8) since I'm wondering what the seared-salmon sushi is called? Anyone know? I had it often enough...
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

siri

Post by siri » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I thought I'd give you an update. I went to Sodimac today and unfortunately they don't have creme brulee torches, at least the one by the Nuble metro stop didn't, unless I totally missed it, but I went down all the middle aisles and both kitchen supply sections and tried to ask in my poor spanish (but I was shown the tiki torches, hehe). They did have a larger butane flame torch (but the instructions said you have to use it outside and i need something i can use in my tiny apt) and soldering irons. But I plan to check out Kitchen Republic next.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 pm

They had a couple different gases as I recall. They are the canisters, which I believe would be the same as camping stoves and like the cans they use to heat food.

I was using the soldering torch for heating rubber irrigation hose so it would stretch, without lighting it on fire. They are for the sodder on copper pipes. I only use the big one on a truly hated electronic device such as my blackberry or iphone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.