Riots continue

General topics related to Living in Chile
La_Tini

Re: Riots continue

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Zeronz, I just claim that there are relatively few act of violence in comparison with a massive civic protest movement. While there were destructions at some points of the city, the peaceful protests were present in almost all neighbourhoods. Just wanted to make clear that Santiago is not a riot struck war zone, as one could assume after reading the former entries.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:14 pm

I think people here on this forum who complain about "violence" and even "terrorists" simply have no freakin' idea of what violent protests are all about. To me what's going on is an organized and peaceful protest for a very good, valid and worthy cause, and those foreigners who fail to see that are simply selfish and narrow minded.
If you wish to understand the Latin/Chilean protest culture - and the "non-violent" disruption, destruction, molotovs, etc, you need look no further. This is the sort of dangerous idiocy that seems to be commonly taught via Chilean public "education" by caring, chascone profs, looking for more money to live the life, oh, I mean "educate the children". No wonder that the students learn little, except how to engage in pure bedlam with no consequence, and express inane ideas like the one quoted above.

If this government weren't so gutless, they'd crack some skulls, starting with those belonging to the professorial enablers and fellow travelers. If you want to know why a military dictatorship is eventually the result in so many Latin countries, just ask yourselves where allowing/promoting such "peaceful protest", and the inevitable escalation, will lead. How about to spiraling violence and destruction, followed by "Up against the wall, Che".

John Hyre

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 pm

lets make this real simple, if you were the owner of the businesses that got damaged last night as part of the "protests" would you feel that a crime had been commmited against you, or would you simply say, "oh i dont mind losing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, good on you students, i dont mind losing my property and business to your cause".
But it´s precisely NOT the case that students destroy property, but that some teenagers and criminals use the confusion during the protests to commit criminal acts. No one is defending such behaviour.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

I give up, you guys suck at debating

Im going to go buy my roger water tickets that are on presale :)

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm

by patagoniax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:14 pm

La_Tini wrote:but are there really so many "violent criminals"? Where??

No hay peor ciega que la que no quiere ver.
Patagoniax, according to your profile status you live pretty far away from Santiago as to give a realistic view of the situation here and call other people who live here blind :-)

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:28 pm

no, but I´m always happy to learn more!

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Postby razor654321 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm
Hey Ventisquero, My sister-in-law, who is Chilena and was in Santiago last night had a comment on what was going on last night - "Son puros flaites no mas."
So you have Chilean relatives and even Chilean relatives from a poor background. I do, too, and none of them claims that the protest yesterday was led by “puros flaites”. Anyways, clearly we have very different points of view on the events, but after I have been reading this forum for quite some time, I felt the need to create some diversity of opinion here, since I always read the same kind of opinions about life being very terrible in Santiago, of all santiaguinos being rude and even violent people and of “riots” supposedly going on every day. I think it´s a shame, because it doesn`t reflect at all my 4 year long experience of living in this city and it would be a pity if it scared away other people thinking about going here. And I insist, shocking about yesterday were not only violent incidents provoked by protesters, but first of all the excessive police violence. In my opinion, violent repression of demonstrations is not the best de-escalation strategy.

http://www.amnistia.cl/web/ent%C3%A9rat ... tar-uso-ex

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

st130811

Post by st130811 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Just saw a link from a Chilean friend about blocking the passes. I have a visa run scheduled this weekend. What is the likelihood of this actually happening and impeding my visa run? Planning on going by bus from Temuco, if that impacts the chance of being adversely affected.
http://www.biobiochile.cl/2011/08/05/tr ... enos.shtml

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:51 pm

The "protests" yesterday were illegal. Of course the police took action. They happens when people break the law. The only shame is that more people were not arrested and more of a shame that the parents of the hood-rats didn't get a fine for bad parenting.
Hmmm, I´m actually a real fan of the free right of assembly and demonstration, I don´t feel this should be prohibited by the police and if this is the case, I feel free to still do so whenever I like and, thus, break the law. I wonder if this makes me a hood-rat or something like that?

P.S.: Sorry to hear what happend to your house, though.

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:34 pm

I believe you are misinterpreting the law. freedom to assemble, no problem. freedom to gather is masses and shut down traffic and start fires in the streets and buildings and try to freely assemble on other people's private property and businesses is not included in that.
So, in your opinion, how would it be possible then to organize a massive demonstration that doesn´t shut down traffic? I guess that´s not logistically possible. And again, the big majority of the protesters weren´t interested at all to "assemble on other people´s private property and businesses". You´re condemning a huge movement because of some singular, regrettable cases.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 pm

La_Tini wrote:So, in your opinion, how would it be possible then to organize a massive demonstration that doesn´t shut down traffic? I guess that´s not logistically possible. And again, the big majority of the protesters weren´t interested at all to "assemble on other people´s private property and businesses". You´re condemning a huge movement because of some singular, regrettable cases.
The government offered three alternative routes for the marches, but they were all rejected by the students. Why?

Actually the most depressing thing for me so far was listening to Camilla Vallejo spouting off, there's no doubt she's been well coached by her communist mentors. Chile, this could be your future leader. Nice replacement for (Saint) Gladys Marin.
Think I´ll be gone by then.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge