Riots continue

General topics related to Living in Chile
Locked
User avatar
Hightower
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:42 pm
Location: 10000 feet high

Re: Riots continue

Post by Hightower » Fri May 27, 2011 2:11 pm

deleted
If you were born to hang, you will never drown

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Riots continue

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I work downtown and live 2 blocks east of Plaza Italia and have been inconvenienced on 3 occasions in the past few weeks.

-metro stations shut down
-traffic stopped on the Alameda
-having to walk home and go three or four blocks south of plaza italia
etc
-turned away by carabineros from proceeding directly to my apt

And I dont go looking for the protests, if I hear about them i make an effort to shift my schedule or route away from them.

In the past two years i have been tear gassed twice, water cannoned once and bitten and dropped to the ground by a dog freaked out by the riot once

So Im not sure what parts of Santiago you are hiding in,

User avatar
Aedmunds
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 am

Re: Riots continue

Post by Aedmunds » Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:I work downtown and live 2 blocks east of Plaza Italia and have been inconvenienced on 3 occasions in the past few weeks.

-metro stations shut down
-traffic stopped on the Alameda
-having to walk home and go three or four blocks south of plaza italia
etc
-turned away by carabineros from proceeding directly to my apt
dmwbmw2 wrote:In the past two years i have been tear gassed twice, water cannoned once and bitten and dropped to the ground by a dog freaked out by the riot once
Note to self - when I find an apartment in a few months... make sure it is not in a protest prone area. That's a bummer dude!

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Riots continue

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Nah, makes life more interesting..... i like the area i live in.

Two metros to choose from within a two block walk.

Probably 100 good restaurants within 10 minutes walk

Bellavista right across the river.

Bicycle paths right in front of my door and miles of park in Parque Forestal and Parque Bustamante

My wife, who is more careful than I, has not had any of these experiences. Admittedly, if she had she might just be on the next plane back to Canada

User avatar
Aedmunds
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 am

Re: Riots continue

Post by Aedmunds » Fri May 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Hmmm...

Your right. That does sound like a good area. I think I would just be very pissed off at the demonstrators... or I guess....instigators.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Riots continue

Post by nwdiver » Fri May 27, 2011 3:12 pm

I will now be living in the Parque Forestal area during the summer, I love it, but I’m not around in the smog and protest season. It is a very safe area close to everything.
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22659
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Riots continue

Post by admin » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Yea, a lot of the guys that have been arresting around the recent protests are not students. They are the want to be anarchist crowds that show up at the protests, and whatever the cause might be tends to loose the headline in all the action.

Funny side note. Seen a really funny clip on the news of this street dog in the middle of the action in valpo. He was running back and forth with the protesters, getting hit with a water cannon, and wagging his tail the whole time. The police would chase the protesters back, he would follow them, then when they started charging the police again, he would run out in to the tear gas with them. I think he was there for all the rock throwing. What dog does not like to chase rocks?

By the way, I think there are lot of people outside of Chile that really do not get the difference between protests and riots in the context of Chile. Protesting whatever the government is doing or not doing, is a very old and honored tradition in Latin America. Especially in Chile. Almost everyone of the guys you see on TV from the government making some statement, has been in a protest at one point or another. Old people do it, young people do it, even families go out to protest. It is much more common I would say in Chile for people to take to the streets to show they are unhappy with something, than the States and perhaps much of Europe. It is just how you voice your dissent.

There has always been a certain amount of trouble at the end of the protest involving students, and they have almost always been treated as a sideshow. I think a lot of the real danger that has come in the last few years around the protests is the anarchist movement. They are random trouble makers, with no particular point. If you went out to protest against globalization, they would be there. If you went out to protest for globalization they would be there. The game for them is the cat and mouse post protest show with the police.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
Hightower
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:42 pm
Location: 10000 feet high

Re: Riots continue

Post by Hightower » Fri May 27, 2011 4:11 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:So Im not sure what parts of Santiago you are hiding in,
dmwbmw2 wrote:My wife, who is more careful than I, has not had any of these experiences.
Well then, maybe you should ask her?
If you were born to hang, you will never drown

PenquistaDeCorazon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Riots continue

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Fri May 27, 2011 4:14 pm

admin wrote:Yea, a lot of the guys that have been arresting around the recent protests are not students. They are the want to be anarchist crowds that show up at the protests, and whatever the cause might be tends to loose the headline in all the action.

Funny side note. Seen a really funny clip on the news of this street dog in the middle of the action in valpo. He was running back and forth with the protesters, getting hit with a water cannon, and wagging his tail the whole time. The police would chase the protesters back, he would follow them, then when they started charging the police again, he would run out in to the tear gas with them. I think he was there for all the rock throwing. What dog does not like to chase rocks?

By the way, I think there are lot of people outside of Chile that really do not get the difference between protests and riots in the context of Chile. Protesting whatever the government is doing or not doing, is a very old and honored tradition in Latin America. Especially in Chile. Almost everyone of the guys you see on TV from the government making some statement, has been in a protest at one point or another. Old people do it, young people do it, even families go out to protest. It is much more common I would say in Chile for people to take to the streets to show they are unhappy with something, than the States and perhaps much of Europe. It is just how you voice your dissent.

There has always been a certain amount of trouble at the end of the protest involving students, and they have almost always been treated as a sideshow. I think a lot of the real danger that has come in the last few years around the protests is the anarchist movement. They are random trouble makers, with no particular point. If you went out to protest against globalization, they would be there. If you went out to protest for globalization they would be there. The game for them is the cat and mouse post protest show with the police.
The one in Greece is cute too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yB9pmWm ... re=related

User avatar
Sons of Thunder
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Stgo., from NYC

Re: Riots continue

Post by Sons of Thunder » Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 am

patagoniax wrote:
The announcement this morning was done as I was running out the door. It (announcement, not the door) was intended to serve as a heads-up for some of the foreros who might have been heading for the affected area, since as I was writing the sitrep the conflict was still in progress and the traffic there was still being rerouted.
And you have my (and undoubtedly others') gratitude for that. Having seen firsthand just a small-scale demonstration that was getting rowdy, there's no way in hell I'd want to wander into such a situation unaware.

User avatar
El Chupacabra
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am
Location: Earth (most of the time)

Re: Riots continue

Post by El Chupacabra » Sat May 28, 2011 1:14 am

Water cannons and tear gas is just another way of saying I love you.
Living the life!

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2146
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso

Re: Riots continue

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat May 28, 2011 1:22 am

Hey, El Chupacabra, but you are MickieO, right?..

Locked