Wood Burning Stoves and Firewood

General topics related to Living in Chile
StevenDC

Re: Wood Burning Stoves and Firewood

Post by StevenDC » Thu May 26, 2011 7:34 pm

patagoniax wrote: You could also replace the code-compliant triple-wall stovepipe with some decent single-wall with a passive radiant diffuser and get some of that heat into the room instead of just all up the chimney.
Actually, the wood stove sits inside the original fireplace, not exactly an insert but it is not free standing. I left it stick out as far as possible, about 6 inches of surface which reaches right around 550 to 600F with a good burning Oak/Walnut source.

I want to put a free standing in the basement. If we used this as our main heat supply, I sure would have done it different, but as an emergency only source it is ok.

When we build I want to design an entire house around a central masonry/stone type firebox.
I saw the pic of yours and I wonder if adding a secondary box on top before it goes exhaust wouldn't seriously increase your heat?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 pm

FWIW, we're on the coast near Valpo. Here they sell by weight, 90 pesos/kilo of dry Eucaliptus. Last year it was 80. It's actually quite dry, although we do our best to keep a certain amount inside to keep it that way. The fellow who sells to us is fairly consistent although I do always go and order personally and watch as he weighs it because, well, this is Chile and I definitely can't throw that guy very far :roll: We've ordered from a couple other places before but the wood was more and it was quite damp. This fellow is consistent and he always sends us a box of shavings for getting the fire started as well.

We're right next to the forest and take the dogs for walks all the time to collect pine cones. I know plenty of neighbors who just go into the woods and help themselves. You're not supposed to but I'm not entirely certain who cares less, the carabineros or the CONAF guys. Not sure who's the bigger joke around here either.

In Curacavi, my cousins can buy for about 60 pesos/kilo. We don't have a car though, so buy locally. Oh yeah, we have an Amesti (like a Bosca) and a small 3 bedroom house. It heats the whole place pretty well, probably would do a better job if it hadn't been built by Chileans but can't complain too much since it's free :D I've seen the Boscas (I think) had an extension system to run heating to other rooms; they looked like the old school wall radiators that connected to the main stove. Couldn't find the info on the Bosca site though, saw them last year in a catalogue.
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Yea, sorry never seen it spelled. In any case, the vara is very low in Frutillar, and very inconsistent. It is sufficiently loose that I have thought about having a truck load of wood sent from osorno, rather than mess with arguing with the local wood guys. If I ever get around to say putting up a 2 year supply or something, I would likely buy it by the meter from somewhere else.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

otravers

Post by otravers » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm

This year we didn't technically buy wood, one of our maestros knew a guy who needed to clear a lot and gave the eucalyptus wood to whomever would cut it and take it off the property. So it cost us truck rental for a day and dedicating maestro time to cutting. Still beats the 25-30.000 pick-up truck loads in our area. We did this months ago so now we have dry wood for this winter and probably into the next. I learned to be on the lookout for that sort of countryside deal when I was in Portugal. In urban areas of fully developed countries you obviously go to the big store, pay 4x the price and that's it.

Many of our friends are alternating between spending 300 lucas a month on gas, or being miserably cold at home. Madness! We were seriously considering buying a pellet stove last year, but given the capital expense, we've decided to finish isolating the whole house first. With 400 square meters on four floors that's quite some work by itself but we're making progress.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 pm

To be honest, I think the best systems are the ones I remember from elementary school in Colorado, the radiators that circulated hot water along one side of the room or along the baseboard. We dried our wet mittens and socks on those things. A system like that runs off of a large boiler tank and works for a large building with many rooms, but it isn't really practical for an individual home.

I know that wood burning stoves and fireplaces lose most of their heat straight up the stovepipe and the chimney. It seems like there should be a safe system for directing more of that heat energy into the house, maybe a system of water pipes that could capture some of that heat and circulate it to a radiator. Surely it's been done already.....

Gringo Pillo

Post by Gringo Pillo » Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Pine cones have very much resin. This will build up in the pipes and the stove if you burn too much pine cones and not enough wood. Especially if you use bosca type fireplaces where the air amount is drastically restricted. One day when you decide to burn dry wood with ample air you will see the flames shooting out of the pipe into the sky and with bad luck you will burn down a good part of your house
I have thought of building a proper fireplace into the house I am planning to build. Only thing is that it weighs around 2000-3000 kg. I have to have somebody to look at load in case of an earthquake.

In los Angeles they use astillas as a unit of measure. It is any piece of wood. My astillas were for example 50 cm long and 15 cm in diameter. The problem was that the wood was wet even according to chilean standards. So now we use a toyotomi.

I have thought of what if you take a diesel/kerosine generator and lead the exhasut air through a air water heat exchanger. With this you heat the house plus you get your electricity at the same time

Gringo Pillo

Post by Gringo Pillo » Thu May 26, 2011 11:00 pm

cali_chile48 wrote:To be honest, I think the best systems are the ones I remember from elementary school in Colorado, the radiators that circulated hot water along one side of the room or along the baseboard. We dried our wet mittens and socks on those things. A system like that runs off of a large boiler tank and works for a large building with many rooms, but it isn't really practical for an individual home.

I know that wood burning stoves and fireplaces lose most of their heat straight up the stovepipe and the chimney. It seems like there should be a safe system for directing more of that heat energy into the house, maybe a system of water pipes that could capture some of that heat and circulate it to a radiator. Surely it's been done already.....
You havent seen the water heaters in sodimac or Easy that you attach on to your stove?

Most critical thing is the excess air amount and the control of it. Burning wood with the optimum amount of air gives you a good efficiency.

I dont understand why you say that a radiator system is not practical in indiviual houses because in Norhtern Europe it is still the most popular method of heating a house.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I knew there was something special about Sweden....

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Did someone say Toyotomi?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Gringo Pillo wrote:Pine cones have very much resin. This will build up in the pipes and the stove if you burn too much pine cones and not enough wood. Especially if you use bosca type fireplaces where the air amount is drastically restricted. One day when you decide to burn dry wood with ample air you will see the flames shooting out of the pipe into the sky and with bad luck you will burn down a good part of your house.
In all due respect, but.. The one who is burning pine cones, however, is having very much fun. It is so spectacular. The sparkling flames burst -- this is like pretty nice fireworks. When you see the flames shooting out of the pipe into the sky -- you know whose house is this.

Kind Regards, and all that..

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Gringo Pillo wrote:Pine cones have very much resin. This will build up in the pipes and the stove if you burn too much pine cones and not enough wood. Especially if you use bosca type fireplaces where the air amount is drastically restricted. One day when you decide to burn dry wood with ample air you will see the flames shooting out of the pipe into the sky and with bad luck you will burn down a good part of your house.
In all due respect, but.. The one who is burning pine cones, however, is having very much fun. It is so spectacular. The sparkling flames burst -- this is like pretty nice fireworks. When you see the flames shooting out of the pipe into the sky -- you know whose house is this.

Kind Regards, and all that..
welcome back Rune...
although your alter-egos have been entertaining...
there is but one real Rune (PBOH)

now, while on the subject of alter-egos...
you listen Rune --- g~ will tell you a secret.
g~ once (in a former life) had an alter-ego
g~ was actually a chimney sweep!
for a few years, sweeping put bread on his table (and soot in his ears)

g~ could consider commenting copiously concerning creosote and chimney fires
g~ could possibly pontificate prolifically and poetically about pyroligneous acids
but few might listen, or care...
although you should - so, hear this, Rune...

flames and sparks should shoot out from only volcanoes...
(like Llaima - that you see from your house)
but not, dear friend, out of your chimney
you might heed this warning seriously!

and while you are at it...
inspect and clean your chimney - at least annually
and always try to burn dry wood
:idea:

save those pine-cones for some chilly autumn campfires...
whilst sitting under your Llaima, telling sufi tales, under the full moon
cones to crackle and pop and spew sparks...
and burn holes in your jacket...
whilst you dance like the dervishes, around the flames
:alien:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Fri May 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Welcome to Chile.
Here. Have a CO detector.