You know you have been in chile too long when you.....

General topics related to Living in Chile
gjz333

Re: You know you have been in chile too long when you.....

Post by gjz333 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 pm

not sure this one is already in here but i didnt feel like reading the last 200+ posts again.

...you notice that when speaking spanish certain 'S' sounds have disappeared or turned into a strange 'H' like sound
If the good lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:15 am

I'm starting to think about what actually works in Chile, instead of what doesn't.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

sweetbiscuit
Location: Brisbane...Santiago.... Vancouver....Brisbane (Australia)

Post by sweetbiscuit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 am

maxine wrote:
patagoniax wrote:So I go to the Unimarc and there is this twenty-something yuppie larva in a long line for the express checkout. He puts down his basket and says he will be right back. He comes back with more stuff. And repeats this a couple of times as the line isn't really going anywhere, until he has enough stuff for three runs through the Limit Ten Items Express Checkout. So 20 minutes later he reaches the checkout, and the infinitely polite checkout lady holds up for all to see his apples and says hey, you didn't didn't get this weighed. So we stand there for another 4 or 5 minutes while mister sweetjeans goes back to the line at the fruit and finally comes back to the Express Checkout and I notice that there is green moss growing on my blue suede shoes while the nice checkout lady tries to read the bar-code on some large piece of wrapped up animal carcass he has in his basket and it won't read so she sends the caballero back to get one with a readable label. And the one he brings back several minutes later isn't readable either so the checkout lady closes down her station in the prescribed manner and takes the animal carcass back somewhere and then has to get a supervisor with the Magic Supervisor Card to swipe it through her register and then eventually she gets some sort of numbers manually punched into the machine before the piece of animal carcass thaws, but this is not over yet because as the transaction proceeds to a total here at the Express Checkout there is a question about belonging or not to the Unimarc club, and our fellow says yes but he can't remember his number and I notice that someone has changed the date on the Unimarc wall calendar and it is no longer summer but our customer has not found his Unimarc club number so he pulls out a cell phone on which he thinks he has recorded his Unimarc number and then he scrolls through aaaaaall the numbers on that cell phone and finally gives up and pulls out another cell phone and after a while he finally finds the Unimarc club number which perhaps provides him with a discount worth one percent of the value of the wasted time of all fifty-two people now in the line at the Express Checkout and so we all watch as he tries his credit card once, twice, three times and no it doesn't seem to work so he pulls out another card and finally the card is accepted and then we all wait until some aged hamster in a spinning Redbanc cage in another galaxy finally sends the approval and the receipt gets printed out and our little customer grabs his things and leaves.

And I notice that nobody else in the line thinks that this is unusual.
That is so funny.
I try not to get too stressed when shopping here now. It used to drive me insane but these days I just accept that this is the way Chileans shop and I bash ankles with trolleys and go to the atm from the checkout like everyone else does. The only thing that shows my gringa side is that I apologise when I do these things. But I'm getting there. Slowly.
And now I see where the downward spiral of our beloved Px began.......

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 am

sweetbiscuit wrote:
maxine wrote:
patagoniax wrote:So I go to the Unimarc and there is this twenty-something yuppie larva in a long line for the express checkout. He puts down his basket and says he will be right back. He comes back with more stuff. And repeats this a couple of times as the line isn't really going anywhere, until he has enough stuff for three runs through the Limit Ten Items Express Checkout. So 20 minutes later he reaches the checkout, and the infinitely polite checkout lady holds up for all to see his apples and says hey, you didn't didn't get this weighed. So we stand there for another 4 or 5 minutes while mister sweetjeans goes back to the line at the fruit and finally comes back to the Express Checkout and I notice that there is green moss growing on my blue suede shoes while the nice checkout lady tries to read the bar-code on some large piece of wrapped up animal carcass he has in his basket and it won't read so she sends the caballero back to get one with a readable label. And the one he brings back several minutes later isn't readable either so the checkout lady closes down her station in the prescribed manner and takes the animal carcass back somewhere and then has to get a supervisor with the Magic Supervisor Card to swipe it through her register and then eventually she gets some sort of numbers manually punched into the machine before the piece of animal carcass thaws, but this is not over yet because as the transaction proceeds to a total here at the Express Checkout there is a question about belonging or not to the Unimarc club, and our fellow says yes but he can't remember his number and I notice that someone has changed the date on the Unimarc wall calendar and it is no longer summer but our customer has not found his Unimarc club number so he pulls out a cell phone on which he thinks he has recorded his Unimarc number and then he scrolls through aaaaaall the numbers on that cell phone and finally gives up and pulls out another cell phone and after a while he finally finds the Unimarc club number which perhaps provides him with a discount worth one percent of the value of the wasted time of all fifty-two people now in the line at the Express Checkout and so we all watch as he tries his credit card once, twice, three times and no it doesn't seem to work so he pulls out another card and finally the card is accepted and then we all wait until some aged hamster in a spinning Redbanc cage in another galaxy finally sends the approval and the receipt gets printed out and our little customer grabs his things and leaves.

And I notice that nobody else in the line thinks that this is unusual.
That is so funny.
I try not to get too stressed when shopping here now. It used to drive me insane but these days I just accept that this is the way Chileans shop and I bash ankles with trolleys and go to the atm from the checkout like everyone else does. The only thing that shows my gringa side is that I apologise when I do these things. But I'm getting there. Slowly.
And now I see where the downward spiral of our beloved Px began.......
But its so true,

and chileans complain of this too,

last night in the 15 item or less line, guy in front with about 40 items, i saidnothing, im use to it, i deal with it, and then complain on this forum just to piss some people off!, but a chilean guy behind me, about 30 od, yelled out to the guy in front telling him that this line is for people with under 15 items!,

times are changing, chileans are starting to not take crap from other chileans!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 pm

And, on the topic of shopping. What is with the little old ladies that wait until the entire purchase is rung up before they decide to start looking in their purse for their wallet. Then they proceed to count out everything very slowly, using lots of small change.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:05 pm

gringalais wrote:And, on the topic of shopping. What is with the little old ladies that wait until the entire purchase is rung up before they decide to start looking in their purse for their wallet. Then they proceed to count out everything very slowly, using lots of small change.
I HATE IT how you can charge your phones at hte checkout... and the lady does the whole familys phones and the maids, takes like 10 minutes !

one answer.... Lider san calos de apoquindo o la dehesa... NO LINES!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

The Líder near us on Príncipe de Gales used to be pretty empty for the first year and a half they opened. Unfortunately, it is getting more crowded now. I guess more people have discovered it. The worst, though, is when I go pick up a few things to make dinner at the Unimarc close by my house. The place is full of the little old ladies that take forever to pay.

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Why would anyone want to deprive little old ladies from participating in daily community interaction? :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:17 pm

john wrote:Why would anyone want to deprive little old ladies from participating in daily community interaction? :lol:
need a little old lady only line!, have to say im one for respecting eldders in any society, but some older people think they are gods even tho they are fully capeable for there age,

skipping lines at the deli etc!

svnt3stngray

Post by svnt3stngray » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:50 pm

You start sentences, " oye, flaco " and end them with " vale la pena"

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 pm

When tremors no longer phase you.
We agree to disagree.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:14 am

ratbert wrote:
gringalais wrote: The place is full of the little old ladies that take forever to pay.
that's because counting out 12 Lucas' worth of 10-peso coins with 20-400 eyesight takes a little time.
:lol: :lol: