Maps

General topics related to Living in Chile
benclark15

Maps

Post by benclark15 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 am

Does anybody know any shops that sell good selections of interesting and perhaps historic maps? I'm not looking for antiques or anything like that, its just that I'm very interested in browsing and collecting interesting maps (of all parts of the world) and I'd be very interested to know if such a place exists in Santiago or nearby. The best I've come up with so far is the maps section of some Antarctica bookstores, but that's really not doing it for me right now!

Thanks to all in advance.

El pescado

Re: Maps

Post by El pescado » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 am

Try the Instituto Geográfico Militar (IGM)

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 am

Right off of Manuel Montt near plaza Jorge Pratt, there are a few bookstores and antique stores nestled inside a little walkthru mall. I have seen some maps in there but can´t quite remember what they were. Some of the bookstores also put out books in the aisle way for sale and normally they have a section with English books.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 pm

I seem to remember that there were several booths in the (otherwise not too interesting) Feria Santa Lucia craftsmarket in Santiago that sold old maps. Hope this is still the case. Have fun poking around! But keep your valuables well hidden - the area apparently is a pickpocket zone !