American Furniture in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
spanglish
Location: 5th region since January 2011 formerly Calgary, Canada

Re: American Furniture in Chile

Post by spanglish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Gloria,

I have to have an island as well in my kitchen! I know most people in Chile have small kitchens, but I plan on converting them, by example. Just starting big with my husband's family because there are a lot of them....so many names to remember :? :lol: We have built a small house, 70sq. mtrs in the Central region, but we have made it quite open so I am really hoping when my husband gets there in January that he can find someone to make him a small island and build him some solid wood cabinets. We will live in it while we build something a bit bigger but when it really becomes the guest house I would like it to be comfortable for my husband's Chilean family. Congratulations on your choice of colour as I'm sure everyone is talking about it and the fact that the kitchen looks so comfortable to work in!! 8) 8) 8)

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:36 pm

There are some good ideas to be taken from the American kitchen. I like having an island, good workflow, decent appliances, space, an opening on the living room. Chilean kitchens are often very crappy. But the idea that the kitchen is some sort of luxury room remains foreign to me.

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Look, you'll see Porsche Cayenne Turbo S'es in Las Condes, but there's a tiny market for them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

yea, I use to see more Porsche in the mountains of Guatemala. Drug dealers and coffee finca owners mostly. Chileans are not big on sports cars.

Yea, those sofa's you see on their web site move very few relatively speaking. Would not be surprised to see the same ones next year.

Here is the fast and loose breakdown of the market. Before anyone jumps on my case about my stats, they are mostly guesstimates but I am fairly secure that with time and effort I could back them up.

1/2 of the Chilean population or more makes less than 1 million pesos ($2,000 US a month mas o menos). That is total household income. So, there is 7.5 million of the 15 million population outside your market right there.

Of the population that makes more than that, you need to eliminate basically everyone outside of central regions and major cities. Call that another 2 -3 million people eliminated. Now, they do shop at the big stores in the regional cities, just it is matter of distribution and market penetration.

so, now we are down to mas or menos 4 million people, with the money / credit above 1 million pesos a month and that you would have access to them. Eliminate half of them as simply not inclined to buy expensive furniture. Say, they have money but are just cheap, have no taste, or prefer to buy other things.

Now you are down to mas or menos (mas menos) 2 million people market. Now lets say at any given moment, being very generous here, only 10% is in the market for a new couch or something that functions as a couch. Say about 200,000 people a month (being very generous here).

Divide all of them by the number of choices they have in Chile including both couches and couch substitutes, which relatively speaking there are not many but for such a small market is highly highly saturated. In fact, it is kind of amazing there are as many choices as there are in Chile. We are basically talking about a market for upscale products equal to a relatively small town in the midwest United States, less cultural and media driven inclinations to buy or not to buy a certain product.

That is all apart from the quality issues, the price issues, reputation issues, style issues, whatever issues. Can you make it worth your while to send furniture all the way to Chile, provide refunds, repairs, marketing, accounting, and so on, and still make a profit?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 pm

spanglish wrote:Gloria,

I have to have an island as well in my kitchen! I know most people in Chile have small kitchens, but I plan on converting them, by example. Just starting big with my husband's family because there are a lot of them....so many names to remember :? :lol: We have built a small house, 70sq. mtrs in the Central region, but we have made it quite open so I am really hoping when my husband gets there in January that he can find someone to make him a small island and build him some solid wood cabinets. We will live in it while we build something a bit bigger but when it really becomes the guest house I would like it to be comfortable for my husband's Chilean family. Congratulations on your choice of colour as I'm sure everyone is talking about it and the fact that the kitchen looks so comfortable to work in!! 8) 8) 8)
I thank you for the compliments.Unfortunately the details do not show in the picture.All the cabinets and island was made out of plywood and pine facing.The painting was a water down country blue imitating rustic worn jeans.The cabinets doors have chicken wire for a true country look and the island has wheels for easy moving when cleaning underneath is needed and above the island....a skylight.Few steps away from the kitchen, the dining room is located facing the scenery of the land and big Maiten tree...paradise if you ask me.
This is a look to the dinning room from the kitchen island.
Dinning room.jpg
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 pm

The house has a well thought out design done by ourselves without anyone else's help.It is completely open, bright and airy.
Here is a view of what you would see once you step into it.In the background there's the island in the kitchen.The decorations, hand painted Trompe O'Leil and Floorcloth are done by yours truly.
Living-dining room- kitchen.jpg
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Wonderful Gloria, just wonderful. Maybe you and the Mister can start a biz and make those items for some of us? Thanks for sharing.

longjonsilver

Post by longjonsilver » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 am

otravers wrote:. But the idea that the kitchen is some sort of luxury room remains foreign to me.
we purchased our home here in montreal largely because of the kitchen. we spend a lot of time in it making three meals a day and cleaning up, plus snacks. why have a room that is poorly thot out or dark and dingy?
jon
Astronomy says that we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says that there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

otravers

Post by otravers » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 am

longjonsilver wrote:
otravers wrote:. But the idea that the kitchen is some sort of luxury room remains foreign to me.
we purchased our home here in montreal largely because of the kitchen. we spend a lot of time in it making three meals a day and cleaning up, plus snacks. why have a room that is poorly thot out or dark and dingy?
The opposite of "poorly thought out or dark and dingy" is not "luxurious" now, is it? You can have a well lit, clean, functional kitchen without spending a fortune on marble and monster appliances. As I said, I like a nice kitchen, but many Americans who don't even cook (look at stats on eating out and take-away food in the US) have overdone it during the housing bubble thinking they were richer than they actually are. Now this is being foreclosed by the millions. I'm just saying a little restraint might have helped.

However I'm not the kitchen police. My point was that cultural expectations about something apparently as simple as a kitchen vary widely, and for someone to export furniture from the US to Chile, they have to be sensitive to what the local market will want and can afford.

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am

I think Americans that come from a large family are used to the kitchen being the focal point of the house, hence it needs to be spacious. most of the time is spent there talking with the parents over some pie & coffee. I think kitchens should be open and shared with the rest of the house and not hidden away like a closet or pantry. It gives the Chef of the family to partake in the conversation or other activities with the family and everyone can be together.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am

Gloria very nice house. I like that kind of classic look with those hints of rustic around.

Yea, I thought about the kitchen problem for several years. In building a house in Chile, how do you get the benefits of an American style kitchen that is open and shared, while at the same time maintaining the home value in the Chilean market that demands a hidden kitchen? The best solution I have come up with is big double doors that allow you the flexibility to open up the kitchen when needed or isolate it as needed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:11 am

A set of french doors would look great between the kitchen and living area. I have thought about this concept as well. My last kitchen/living renovation I completed had a single doorway between them, I ripped out the entire wall and luckily had a friend that had an old barn he wanted tore down. I went in with a chainsaw and cut out the hand-hewn beams with the wooden pegs still intact and used the beams as the frame for the opening(2 uprights and and overhead bordered in manila rope) you cant get any more country than that! The barn siding that was weathered red paint color I used to redo my upstairs bedrooms in a waist high border and the rest of the wall was a rich dark red color. I did all of this while I was single so it might not be for everyone.