scandinavian wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 pm
Used Scotiabank yesterday. No charge. Visa
Issued from which country?
Denmark

mlightheart

Re: ATM fee

Post by mlightheart » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Has anyone looked at and charted the exchange rate they are getting from the various here banks when you use their atms?

On Dec 20th, I withdrew 200000clp from BICE with a machine transaction charge of 2500. So the total was 202500 clp. The amount that showed up on my account was $294.10usd. So that is roughly 1 usd to 688.54 clp.

The average exchange rate for that day was 1 USD = 691.302 CLP. I got this rate from the following source, might be better sources, but I will use this.

https://www.fx-exchange.com/usd/clp-201 ... story.html

I am not including the fees which my bank charged for the transaction (1% international transaction fee of $2.90 and a $1 atm fee).

Edit: I like xe.com too, didn't find the rate for that day there when I posted. It was 690.8468867063clp.
https://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from ... 2018-12-20

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:11 pm

I have always found the real time xe.com rate to be accurate.

That was a BIG SWING rate day and you must have done the transaction near the CLP high of the day.

See:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from ... LP&view=1M

There was a dip down to 686 around 11 am CLT but by the end of the day it was at 691ish.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

When I withdrew money from the atm that day, it was in the afternoon around 5pm.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm

I have also gotten screwed on big swing days. If this had been a quieter day, I'm pretty sure you would have gotten 691ish.

On another note, credit card, I received a better rate than the closing day rate (credit cards use a single rate on the closing day) for December 25th when I charged an Uber to my Shitibank MasterCard.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 pm

For an update on this long thread (will be 10 years this coming July 2019),

What banks/cards/networks are not charged fees or refunded fees? I am talking about an international transaction fee or an atm fee that your bank may charge you. Like mine does. :(

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:46 pm

I use Capital One 360 MasterCard/Cirrus debit card which has no per use ATM fee and 0% foreign transaction fee leaving me with just paying the foreign ATM fee.

Others I think still say that the Schwab Visa debit card has no fees and even REIMBURSES the foreign ATM fee.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 pm

robinhood, the brokerage, is suppose to start offering no fee atm cards.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Schwab and Banco Estado...the axis of no fee usd to clp withdrawal. 800k per withdrawal assuming you have the US side limit to match. Chile side fees refunded

rust

Post by rust » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:29 am

Scotia just bought BBVA and here where I live, they picked up and moved down the street. Now they are experiencing problems with Global alliance ATM fees. The ATMS in the lobby will charge $5.500CLP and they hit you in Canada with a five dollar charge. Calling 800 4 SCOTIA will get them to immediately reverse the five bucks. If you make a withdrawal at an ATM, don't settle for the 5.500 charge, the management has been advised to refund it. The local manager Yvette Olguín is a real concientious person and has told me that she will have the charges refunded. However, it takes a f%$#ing week and an hour in the branch. They give you a cheque which I just deposit directly into my CuentaRUT at a ServiEstado.

They say this is a temporary situation and it should be resolved "real soon now". Yeah, where have I heard that before? Service personnel on the hotline are "variable" in their handling of the situation and I've had to explain it as though they were 5 years old. Supervisory personnel are not much better. Eventually they get it. Fees are reversed while you wait. On the chilean side... YMMV, but it gets done.

So far as I know, the ATM count has gone up considerably, now with 2 in the main branch in this city, two more in pharmacies, and a second branch with at least one.

The Global Alliance problem will hopefully be resolved in early January.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RECEIPT.
Estamos EN Chile! It's a way of life...

doug81

Post by doug81 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 am

Using Citibank card here - no break on fees from the atm at Banco Edwards despite the logo on their sign. Banco BICE has been my best bet with a fee of only 2500 CLP. Only dispenses 10k notes which is usually a positive, but not as much when I got rent and deposit for apartment - a very fat wad of notes! The ATM in the city centre is only available when the bank is open (until 2pm) but the one in Providencia seems available all the time. Can't wait to get my BCI account finalised...

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu May 09, 2019 11:48 am

I arrived back in Chile yesterday. Thus far, the only ATM I tested was Scotiabank at Merced and it's currently charging $5500. I'm going to check some other ATMs in this area to check if I can find anywhere that's charging less.

Have anyone tested Banco Security at El Golf recently?