ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ATM fee

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:56 am

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am

That, and also ScotiaBank, for those they don't charge withdrawal fees.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am

I was at downtown Santiago earlier today and I had a couple of spare minutes around Moneda, so I checked out the Security Bank atm there. They're charging a $4.500 withdrawal fee, while Banco de Chile next door was charging $6.500 (!!). Banco Estado still charges $4.000, BCI was charging $4.790 and ScotiaBank still doesn't charge me withdrawal fees.

This shouldn't be news for anyone that withdraws money with any frequency at Santiago, but maybe it can help some newcomers.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes I was shocked the charges have sky rocketed, Santander machine had a fast appearing and disappearing message claiming it is a new tax??

jistoner

Post by jistoner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am
I was at downtown Santiago earlier today and I had a couple of spare minutes around Moneda, so I checked out the Security Bank atm there. They're charging a $4.500 withdrawal fee, while Banco de Chile next door was charging $6.500 (!!). Banco Estado still charges $4.000, BCI was charging $4.790 and ScotiaBank still doesn't charge me withdrawal fees.

This shouldn't be news for anyone that withdraws money with any frequency at Santiago, but maybe it can help some newcomers.
Yeah.... Banco Estado lets me pull out more then 200.000, usually the amount of $600 US (360.000-400.000) which helps me out a lot from all these high ATM fees!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 pm

ScotiaBank is still the go-to option for me, but I've heard from some fellow forumites that it's charging them fees. Might be worth checking out, in case you're close by to a ScotiaBank, and otherwise Banco Estado is the best one due to lower fees plus higher withdrawal limit.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:03 am

Bice is still charging me 2500 with a limit of 200.000 per transaction. ScotiaBank is still charging me 3500 with a limit of 200.000 per transaction.
I haven't tried Banco Estado in a while. They were charging 4000 per transaction but it was possible to withdraw 400.000 in one transaction. But they had since stopped working for me and I could not use them anymore.

All of this information was verified by a friend of mine who has seen the same charges and also the issue with Banco Estado.

By the way, I am on the Co-op and Plus ATM networks.

Edit: Good point that my friend makes. My cards are from a US Bank/CU.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am

Curiously, both Bice and ScotiaBank charge no fees for my card (Mastercard, from an US bank). Of course, it seems things are not consistent. YMMV.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 pm

US CARD (let's start adding country of issue at the beginning of every post here so we can better understand the situation)

Mastercard is usually but not always associated with the CIRRUS system.

Visa is usually but not always associated with the PLUS system.

To get a better handle on the situation:

(1) mlightheart
In the long ago past, BancoEstado did not work with PLUS system cards and around the time they started charging their fee (as they were once fee-free), they started accepting PLUS system cards.

Is your card and your friend's card on the PLUS system?

Need testers for BancoEstado ATMs, please list whether card is on the PLUS or CIRRUS system.

(2) tiagoabner

I assume your Mastercard debit card is on the CIRRUS system?

Need testers for BICE and Scotiabank ATMs, please list whether card is on the PLUS or CIRRUS system.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Yep, mine connects to the Cirrus network and it's connected to my US bank account as a debit card. I've also tested at Scotiabank with my Brazilian Mastercard credit card and I wasn't charged fees. I hope that helps.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I guess one difference is that you have a US Mastercard which is on the CIRRUS network. My card is a US VISA on the PLUS network (and Co-Op network).

Yes my friends's US card is on the Plus System and also VISA.

jistoner

Post by jistoner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I have a US Visa on the plus system!