ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
mlightheart

Re: ATM fee

Post by mlightheart » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 pm

Went to the Banco Security ATM in Temuco today. Tried to get some money out. This time was different. A screen popped up saying that I would be charged a 5000 fee for this transaction, did I want to continue? I canceled the transaction. Got my card back.

The last no charge ATM that I know of in Temuco is no more. :(

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Banksters win, amazing how long it took Banco Security to get with the plan. Only in Shiiile would it take 10 years!

Something I was afraid to speculate on was that the actions of expats like me may have resulted in the imposition of the fee at Chile's only public bank Banco Estado. It was less than three months after setting up a deposito de plazo at BE and being questioned about the origin of the funds (had all original ATM receipts and matching deposit slips to show if asked) that the fee suddenly appeared.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Scotia was still good last week. But I almost got prepared for the Transferwise -> Cuenta RUT route, will open it in a few days.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Lost my Santander debit card the other day. Was going to order another one next week as I am happy just transfering balance over to my credit card and using that. When I went in to tell the bank had lost it (I left it a lider, they found it and chopped it up I found out when I went back there) the young woman on the information counter (who knows my name and RUT off by heart) very excitedly informed me that they could now issue me a debit card right there from the branch, rather than wait for it to be sent down from Santiago which normally takes 5 working days, they were part of a pilot scheme to try it out, it was all very innovative it seemed (I didn't burst her bubble and inform her for as long as debit cards have existed in NZ I have been able to get a replacement from my branch or any branch within about 20 minutes and it worked then and there once I set the pin, at least that's how I remember it in the early 2000s, so at least 15 years ago). About time I thought, but after about 45 minutes of frantic calls and asking colleagues, it appeared it was not possible as the plastic cards were no where to be found in the branch, come back Tuesday was the slightly disappointed/embarrassed reaction from the staff member.

Juanito

Post by Juanito » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:17 pm

mem wrote:
Juanito wrote:I only do withdrawals from BancoEstado ATMs because I can withdraw 400.000 for a single withdrawal fee. I only discovered this a few months ago.. wish I'd known sooner. Occasionally the BancoEstado ATMs at my mall won't let me withdraw 400, but will let me withdraw 200 (I've tested-- I'm guessing it might happen when they have less money in them). But if I walk to the ATMs inside of BancoEstado, I can always withdraw 400.
I discovered the BancoEstado thing when the other ATM's I had been using upped the fees. I got into such a habit of the lightning presses that it didn't even register until I had already accepted the much higher fee...doh!

But at any rate, I have found with Banco Estado, I can take out 640,000 CLP in a single withdrawal. I haven't tried higher, beacause the US account is capped at 1000 USD a day and factoring in the Chile fee and the US fee and the variable exchange rate, I don't want to go over the USD limit. This works for me both at the Banco Estado bank itself and even at Lider that has a Banco Estado ATM. Before I had to do 3 transactions of 200,000. Now I am saving 8,000 CLP on each withdrawal visit, since Banco Estado only charges $4,000 per withdrawal.

So all in all, now, I am only paying about $6 on the chile side and $9.50 on the US side for about 1000 USD withdrawal. Overall thats about a 1.5% fee...not bad for the convenience. If I wanted to transfer alot more, like six figures worth, I'd probably just mail in a US drawn check to my Chile bank and have no fee at all
Wow, this is great to know. Very useful.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am

I tried the Banco Security ATM in Concepcion yesterday and was informed of the 5.000 fee as well. I don't think there's another fee-free ATM in Concepcion. Does anyone else?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Banco International is possibly the last bank left that has not been mentioned as charging on this forum, however that may be because no one has reported on this for a while. It does not have a very wide network.

You can see its list of branches here and it includes one in Concepcion (Bernardo O’Higgins 324) https://www.bancointernacional.cl/info/sucursales.aspx Perhaps you can try that chesswolf and let us know the result.

One other thing to keep in mind is that not everyone will get the same result at the same ATM. I may have mentioned this before but in February I personally experienced 2 separate occassions with 2 separate people where I did not get charged, and they did at the same machine 1 minute later. So, whatever the reports of forumites, it can be worth trying out for yourself an ATM, and it would be worth reporting here whether you were charged, and also what country is your bank card issued it, what card is it, what bank etc.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, country issue counts.

Please state country of issue in your reports.

Most posting here use US issued cards and there is no variation with them on the Chile side. Banco Security was the last to charge with Banco Estado the second to the last to charge but it is now the best choice for US issued cards if you take out at least 400.000 per withdrawal (if no fee comp on the issuing bank's end).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm

I've now abandoned my former strategy of going to the ATM, getting out cash, queing up to deposit cash in my Banco Estado account, and then using that to pay the rent, gastos comunes, utilities/bills. I could still do it with the Scotiabank ATM but since it is inside the bank I'd have to make multiple trips to Talagante within weekday daytime during my working hours...no longer worth it.

I now use Transferwise for the above (have been using it for some months without issue), sending transfers from my UK account to my Banco Estado cuenta RUT. I'll find the Transferwise thread and write up my experiences on there.

With Transferwise I now pay 1.5% on all these transfers. With Halifax Clarity card I pay about 0.3%. It charges me a daily interest from the date of the withdrawal so that 0.3% could be higher or lower, it depends how quickly I get around to sending payments to my card and paying it off. So now I'm losing money but gaining time - I no longer have to stand in the bank and queue once a month, or keep making ATM runs.

I still go to Scotiabank and get cash whenever I happen to be in Talagante on a weekday anyway. And I will still use Banco Estado occassonally at a cost of about 1% depending on how much I take out but I will only use for large withdrawals. And then mostly I use that cash for things I need to pay for directly in cash.

And then occassionally if I get caught short and need a small amount of cash like 10,000 or 20,000 I can just use my Banco Estado ATM card to withdraw without fee.

So that is pretty much the current strategy.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:11 pm

I guess it depends on what ATM network your bank is part of and if it is compatible with what the banks here use.

There doesn't seem to be any branches for Banco International here. They do have an office of sorts in Temuco.
chesswolf wrote:I tried the Banco Security ATM in Concepcion yesterday and was informed of the 5.000 fee as well. I don't think there's another fee-free ATM in Concepcion. Does anyone else?
Thanks for the verification on Banco Security.

Good info Britkid. Thanks.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 am

Britkid wrote:
You can see its list of branches here and it includes one in Concepcion (Bernardo O’Higgins 324) https://www.bancointernacional.cl/info/sucursales.aspx Perhaps you can try that chesswolf and let us know the result.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen their branch, but they don't have an ATM outside. I'll try inside when I'm in town next. Oh, and my cards are US issued. I may end up using your method of Transferwise. We'll see.

serebella

Post by serebella » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I think Banco Bice still provides free ATM withdrawals for UK credit cards (eg: Halifax Clarity, Santander Zero). Last tested around a month ago.