ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: ATM fee

Post by Britkid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am

For payments at businesses with a card machine, my cards are often rejected (say 5% of the time) so I just pay by a second card or by cash. Most of the time the cards are not blocked, and work fine across the street in the next store. Some of this may be down to people not knowing what buttons to press to deal with foreign cards, while some of it is seems to be just glitches in the system.

With regards to the ATMs, I very rarely get blocked unless I am over my daily limit or very, very near to it.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Ah, solved the US card issue: if it's Visa Debit than I should not select "Credit card" in the "Foreign card" menu.

It must be "Checking account" or it will say "Invalid card". My other cards (European one and prepaid Payoneer) aren't credit but worked without an issue for "Credit card" selection, so I stuck with the US one by pressing this option.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Yes, for US VC/MC branded debit cards and of course non-branded ATM-only cards, it is always "Debit" and IME, the next selection of checking or savings is also important as I have a US ATM-only card attached to a savings account which will not work if I choose checking, vice versa for the branded ones that are attached to checking accounts.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Not ATM issue but more a case of bank policies... This just popped up from Capital One:

"In June, we’ll update the Person2Person (P2P) Payments transfer limits in the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) section of your checking account disclosure.

Here’s the scoop:
• Currently, outbound transfers (payments sent from your account) are capped at $2,000 a day, up to a total of $10,000 over a 30-day period. There is no cap on the amount of money that can be sent to your account.
• Starting in June, limits on transfers to and from your account will be up to our discretion. These limits are designed to be flexible to help improve the security of your service.

Here’s the new fine print:
P2P Payments is subject to limits on the amount and frequency of transfers to and from your account. These limits are designed to be flexible in order to protect the security and integrity of the Service and accounts, including protecting you and all other participants of the Service. These limitations may be based on confidential fraud and risk criteria that are essential to our management of risk and the protection of you and the integrity of the Service, and may be modified at our sole discretion without advance notice.

If you have questions about this change, give us a call at 1 888 464 0727. "

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun May 28, 2017 2:50 pm

I was charged a 4500 fee by BBVA in Plaza Oeste yesterday, which brings me in line with others that have had fees on BBVA.

I think that means there is no fee free ATM for me in the whole Plaza Oeste mall, even though it is a very large one with many ATMs.

That leaves Scotiabank, Banco Security and Banco International as not charging mostly, with others mostly charging.

However I haven't seen any up to date reports on the above for a while, so who knows.

If the cash points have started charging foreigners to stop foreigners emptying out the ATMs, then the others that haven't started doing it yet are going to be heavily targeted by foreigners and will likely need to fall in line as a result.

It does look like the era of using ATMs in Chile as the best way to move cash into the country for monthly expenses may be coming to an end.

The charges are always at least 4,000 and the most you can take out per transaction tends to be 200,000, so that is 2% in the best case. Maybe a bit better with Banco Estado where you can do a single transaction of >200,000.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Scotia was fine a week ago for everything but US Visa Debit.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 pm

No charge Scotiabank today in Talagante.
That is the last ATM I know of in my local area, say within 20-30 min drive of my house, without charges.
However it is inside the bank so on weekends and evenings I've no fee-free ATMs.

Juanito

Post by Juanito » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I only do withdrawals from BancoEstado ATMs because I can withdraw 400.000 for a single withdrawal fee. I only discovered this a few months ago.. wish I'd known sooner. Occasionally the BancoEstado ATMs at my mall won't let me withdraw 400, but will let me withdraw 200 (I've tested-- I'm guessing it might happen when they have less money in them). But if I walk to the ATMs inside of BancoEstado, I can always withdraw 400.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:07 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Yes, for US VC/MC branded debit cards and of course non-branded ATM-only cards, it is always "Debit" and IME, the next selection of checking or savings is also important as I have a US ATM-only card attached to a savings account which will not work if I choose checking, vice versa for the branded ones that are attached to checking accounts.
That brings up an interesting point. My US ATM only card is tied to my savings account too, but I was able to choose withdraws from checking or savings. But starting on May 29 (this past Monday) when I tried to use it at Banco Security to withdraw cash from checking, it just got kicked out of the machine. There was a 455 code at the left top of the screen before it did so. I tried it again, and 455 again. Went across the street to Scotiabank and tried it there. Same thing but no 455 just a blank screen. Card ejected without any messages. I believe both ATM machines were Redbank. But it did work at the BancoEstado ATM that was in Lider. But I was charged a 4000 fee. Not really sure what the deal is with Security and Scotia. I can try to withdraw from savings at Security bank next week to see if that works. I did call up my bank to see if there was any activity when I tried to do those withdraws at Security and Scotia, and there was not any sign of anything happening.

US Visa debit cards still work without any issues at Banco Security.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:49 am

Keep us informed on this. Any distinct patterns that emerge especially corroborated from the experiences of other posters could indicate things that the tinfoil hat crowd are watching for and have warned about.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Was able to withdraw money using my ATM only card from my savings at Banco Security yesterday. Tried a few other times before yesterday, but the ATM was out of service each time.

So that works fine. But only from savings and not from checking. Not sure what changed in the systems at the end of May.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Juanito wrote:I only do withdrawals from BancoEstado ATMs because I can withdraw 400.000 for a single withdrawal fee. I only discovered this a few months ago.. wish I'd known sooner. Occasionally the BancoEstado ATMs at my mall won't let me withdraw 400, but will let me withdraw 200 (I've tested-- I'm guessing it might happen when they have less money in them). But if I walk to the ATMs inside of BancoEstado, I can always withdraw 400.
I discovered the BancoEstado thing when the other ATM's I had been using upped the fees. I got into such a habit of the lightning presses that it didn't even register until I had already accepted the much higher fee...doh!

But at any rate, I have found with Banco Estado, I can take out 640,000 CLP in a single withdrawal. I haven't tried higher, beacause the US account is capped at 1000 USD a day and factoring in the Chile fee and the US fee and the variable exchange rate, I don't want to go over the USD limit. This works for me both at the Banco Estado bank itself and even at Lider that has a Banco Estado ATM. Before I had to do 3 transactions of 200,000. Now I am saving 8,000 CLP on each withdrawal visit, since Banco Estado only charges $4,000 per withdrawal.

So all in all, now, I am only paying about $6 on the chile side and $9.50 on the US side for about 1000 USD withdrawal. Overall thats about a 1.5% fee...not bad for the convenience. If I wanted to transfer alot more, like six figures worth, I'd probably just mail in a US drawn check to my Chile bank and have no fee at all