ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
gringalais

ATM fee

Post by gringalais » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Over the weekend, I tried to take out money at several ATMs with my US ATM/visa debit card. I got a message that my transaction would be subject to a fee of 2,000 pesos. This has never happened to me before and since I get paid into my US account all the time, this is how I access my money. Both Banco Santander and Banco Edwards ATMs gave me the same message. However, I was able to withdraw from BCI without the fee.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I am really hoping this is not going to be standard policy at the banks here because those fees will really add up after a while.

mlightheart

Re: ATM fee

Post by mlightheart » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah, I started noticing it last week too. At the redbank (Banco Santander) atm machines in Jumbo. Maybe it was last Thursday.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:33 pm

asdfghjkl
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

gregf

Post by gregf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Friday night, Parque Arrauco Banco Chile/Santander also levying the fee. Saturday at Santander and Banco at Sodimac (Arauco), too.

Went to an Ahmuada farmacia and took out without fee at a BBVI atm, or whatever those intials are. :)

gregf

Post by gregf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Interesting, checked out the Uruguayan expat board - - Banco Republica and others are now charging a $3 USD fee for taking out USD, with a maximum withdraw of $100 (as usual)... hope this doesn't continue!!

*Note: This just began this past weekend as well - - coordinated injustice!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Yea, I have not seen this yet, but have not had a lot of reason for using my U.S. ATM cards recently. Has anyone seen any fees with a direct purchase?

Anyone found this on Banco Estado ATM machines yet?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:35 pm

One other thought. Please identify if you have found this with Visa, Master card, and domestic Chilean ATM cards.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gregf

Post by gregf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:47 pm

VISA International here, tied to a virtual bank. Haven't tried with my Mastercard/HSBC account yet (no need to use that account recently).

Bought groceries with VISA, not charge noticed. Looks like an ATM fee only.

j. Ro

Post by j. Ro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 pm

My wife and I are coming down for a visit and to look at some property in October... anyone with a Canadian ATM card noticing these fees?
Jason Roesler, AT

JLS

Post by JLS » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:57 pm

I received the same charge while withdrawing $$$ from a Banco de Chile ATM near Republica station. I was withdrawing money from a CAD checkings account.
Looks like I'll be using BCI next time.

j. Ro: you may want to see what the fees are for your institution/account type. With respect to overseas withdraws. I bank with TD but get nailed for a $5.00 CAD service charge every time I take out cash. For that reason, I upped my daily/weekly withdraw limit and take out as much as I can each time.

zizzles

Post by zizzles » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm

I’ve been charged this fee for two ATM Plus debit card withdrawals from Viña Santander branches, and am also charged 2% foreign currency conversion fee plus AUD$4 by National Australia Bank as well. I’ll be checking other Chilean banks based on advice in this forum.
Friends of mine in Chile are charged AUD$5 + 2% of transaction value by the Commonwealth Bank in Australia for ATM Cirrus debit card withdrawals here. Does anyone have other experience with Australian banks?

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Is anybody incurring fees for using a USA (Citibank) bank card to withdraw pesos from an ATM in Chile?