ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ATM fee

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Ah yes, the reason why the US is the biggest tax haven (for non US persons) on the planet. Screw your people but welcome the foreigners no matter how they obtained the money.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

john

Post by john » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Chase, Citibank, and Capital One all require a U.S. physical address to open up a bank account...they will not send credit or debit cards to an overseas address.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:35 am

john wrote:Chase, Citibank, and Capital One all require a U.S. physical address to open up a bank account...they will not send credit or debit cards to an overseas address.
This is not a problem if you have at least one friend in the US.

john

Post by john » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:01 pm

Space Cat wrote:
john wrote:Chase, Citibank, and Capital One all require a U.S. physical address to open up a bank account...they will not send credit or debit cards to an overseas address.
This is not a problem if you have at least one friend in the US.
Unfortunately, that won't help much if you don't have a social security number. Gleaned the following information from their websites.

Citibank

- Must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien
- Must have a U.S. address
- Must have a social security number
- Must have a U.S. driver's license or state-issued ID

Chase

- Must have a social security number
- Must have a U.S. driver's license or state-issued ID
- Must provide contact information, such as name, address and phone number

Footnote: *Chase is unable to accept online applications from non-U.S. citizens
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Yeah,john's writing is true. I know many illegal immigrants here in the states in process of applying for Green Card. Went with few of them to help them trying to open a bank account to incur about debit then savings and checking account opening then apply for CC'ds ..All red flagged due to non procession of legit social security card. Some of them even had a temp SS card issued but now days, on the face of the card, has "warning" marks that inhibits the banker to accept them as real card. Even if these immigrants are in the process of acquiring the Green Card, the driver license has also a "warning" marks imprinted in small letter ! So now days, banks are very wary of dealing with "new applicants"... Pretty much everything requires the Social Security Card for getting a CC or DC from them ...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Daveinchile

Post by Daveinchile » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I got charged 6000 pesos for a withdrawal from Banco de Chile using Halifax MasterCard. Have they changed their policy?

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:07 am

It looks clear that banks are continually charging more and the days of free ATMs for foreign debit cards are gone. Maybe ATM fees will be the next AFP. Even though the high fees appear to be mostly reserved for foreign cards. So only the gringos will strike. We'll have to see what a "day without the gringos" shapes up to be in Chile! :P

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Today in Talagante with Halifax Clarity...

Banco de Chile asked me for 6,000. I tried two Banco de Chile ATMs. This is a change since I have been using Banco de Chile without fees for a fair while. The fees seem to be the same whether you are taking out 10,000 or 200,000. I tried 10,000 at Banco de Chile and it offered to charge me the same 6,000 for the privilege. That's a rate of 60% which has to be some sort of record.

BCI (cash point in a <SPAM WORD>) also asking for the random amount of 4738 today. That's sad because I have used BCI many, many times and never a charge until today. (However Serebella saw this charge earlier, in August.)

Getting desperate so I tried Santander and they still charge (5,000). OK, just checking.

Banco Estado presumably still charges, although didn't check today, or for some months.

Getting more desperate so I started walking into a few places I'd never tried before although a couple of them actually had no cash point. My options were running so low that at one point I was in one place looking around for a cash machine before I realised I was in the office of an insurance company rather than a bank.

But I eventually got a score in BBVA. No charge!

I also tried Scotiabank for the first time ever, scored again, no charge!

So they are possibly the last two in the whole town that I can use now without a charge out of about 10 ATMs.

I assume Banco Security and Banco International are still fee free (many of you prevously advised as such, at least in the case of Banco Security), there are none of those in any of the small towns where I live and I have never tried it. I think they are mostly in major areas of Santiago and major cities.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm

It looks like everyone is going the same way now. Perhaps the banks are losing money on gringo withdrawals owingto foreign exchange. Another issue they may have worked out that gringos are taking out 400k and meaning the cash point is empty when a little old lady that has lived here for 50 years comes along for her vitally needed 10k. Still, the charges are rather on the punitive side. Always 4k and above. Does anyone know of any that charge under 4k? I don't think there are but would be a fairer charge and worth considering paynig 1-3k on large withdrawals.

At this point, it's time to start considering your options since the way this is going even there may be no fee free left at all which means in effect I would probably lose around 0.5-1.0% of everything I earn.

The last few fee-free standing are now going to be heavily targeted by foreigners, which may mean that they fall in line.

At this point it's probably worth getting out money every time you walk past a fee-free ATM, and stashing the money in Chilean bank accounts. We may in some years look back at the days of fee-free withdrawals nostalgically as some sort of lost golden era. :)

I don't have time now but I may have to open some more bank accounts or look at transfeering money again at some point.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:27 pm

THE PARTY'S OVER.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZk7jP0LkM
:D

The party's over
It's time to call it a day
They've burst your
Pretty balloon
And taken the moon away

It's time to wind up
The masquerade
Just make your mind up
The ATM must be paid

The party's over
The candles flicker and dim
You danced and dreamed
Through the night
It seemed to be right
Just getting your money for free

Now you must wake up
All dreams must end
Get your money out of your pocket and pay up
The party's over
It's all over
My friend
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Those with a US address might want to look into Simple Bank. It's kind of like a prepaid bank card but it's owned by BBVA.

No fees for the accounts, no fees to transfer between accounts.
No international ATM fees.
1% foreign transaction fee

They advertise no fees at BBVA atms in Mexico and Spain.

I use it exclusively in Mexico since I hate dealing with lousy cash exchange rates and Wells Fargo's 3% fee and $5 ATM withdrawals.

https://www.simple.com/features/no-fees

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Corpbanca in Unimarc supermarket, no fees yeterday Halifax Clarity UK credit card.