ATM fee

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ATM fee

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm

I can only imagine a single $500 thousand USD withdraw!! But this may actually be a glimpse of the USD future after massive devaluation (already only worth 3¢ since the original creation of the FED). Looking forward to first notice day for December COMEX Gold after TGD in the States.

Yes I selected English, other times I select español. Depends on the phase of the moon, time of day, mood of wife, etc.

More important, we have the FREEDOM to choose which is less and less of a frequent thing as the elite conspiracy gains the upper hand over us slaves.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:27 am

By the way, BancoEstado fee is 2%. It is shown only in statements, not on an ATM screen.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 am

Throughly incorrect. Banco Estado has no Chile-side fee. Any fee you see is your bank's. I've used them for 8 years or so using a 1% card and a 0% card using real time checks.

Also, any Chile-side fee is disclosed before you OK the transaction and is never a % but a fixed fee like $4000, $4500, etc. per withdraw.

- Søren Kierkegaard

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:27 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Throughly incorrect. Banco Estado has no Chile-side fee. Any fee you see is your bank's. I've used them for 8 years or so using a 1% card and a 0% card using real time checks.

Also, any Chile-side fee is disclosed before you OK the transaction and is never a % but a fixed fee like $4000, $4500, etc. per withdraw.
Oh, yes, sorry.

I totally forgot about my bank charges. That was silly. :D

mesamike

Post by mesamike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Glad to have run across this thread.

Previously, we had been making our withdraws at BCI ATMs for 200,000 pesos at a time with a 4,000 peso ATM fee.
Other ATMs didn't seem to want to work with our ATM card at all.

So after reading these messages, went to a local BancoEstado branch and used their ATM machine, and just as promised, no Chile-side ATM fee!

Thanks!

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Just been on news, so a reminder for everyone, bank holiday weekend, cash machines likely to be empty in a fair few places. They did mention again and showed footage of where machines had been removed after robberies. The banks defence was, more people need to use internet banking transfers and servipag.

Side note, I see they are opening a new bit of autopista to Vina for this bank holiday weekend, then closing it again afterwards to finish the construction (of drainage and safety barriers I guess)

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Also, all 43 ServiEstados will be open on Sunday and the Sunday's for the rest of the month.

- Søren Kierkegaard

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Last time visit to Chile back in February, made a stopover to Peru to pick up my Anciano friend to take him along me
to Chilitolandia. Had enough green backs but took more Dollars out of Peruvian ATM just in case. Used Schwab card to withdraw more than a grand and the fees were reimbursed back! Thanks schwab. It will be so handy if Chilean ATM could spit out the venerable greens a la Peru but the marvelous republic does not.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:14 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:It will be so handy if Chilean ATM could spit out the venerable greens a la Peru but the marvelous republic does not.?
Nope, Chile don't need no stinkin' parallel currency. Stock up in the States and be careful carrying it around (I assume it would be for the arrogant Argies).

- Søren Kierkegaard

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 pm

When we're you in Peru? Two years ago I didn't see USD in ATM, but I was using UK account

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:When we're you in Peru? Two years ago I didn't see USD in ATM, but I was using UK account
I was picking up my "Anciano" friend, Pepe to take him along Chile visiting trip. That was in February of this year.
The place was in Lima, Peru. All differing banks ATM had the option to withdrawal in their currency or in "mighty green"

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:50 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:It will be so handy if Chilean ATM could spit out the venerable greens a la Peru but the marvelous republic does not.?
Nope, Chile don't need no stinkin' parallel currency. Stock up in the States and be careful carrying it around (I assume it would be for the arrogant Argies).
I brought enough US green into Chile. Went from AFEX offices to the next ones for the "cambio" into CLP as needed. On this coming trip I will be stocking up the "Green Lechuga" to carry with me there in Chile and Argie as well.

BTW, there in Argielandia,
I hear that for "Tourists" a must to bringing in the doughs in the forms of " Hunsky crisp" bills, if not, you will lose up to
40% by going for Dollar Oficial,or using the CC.! Least in Chile, I used the ever friendly, "Capital One" visa cards with all the fees refunded as suggested by you EEUU-san!!

Question: Are you out of that magnificent view possesing high rise condo of yours? Still in Llolleo~San Antonio area? I have got more "SUNTORY YamazaKI" super exquisite golden fluid to bringing to Chile, wanting some more? He,he,heee