Chilean Politics

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: Chilean Politics

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm

Britkid wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:46 pm
Boric beat Jadue in pretty much every region and major metroplitan comuna. Jadue did beat Boric 55%-45% in Recoleta, where he has been mayor.
It's also important to point out that Jadue has the unconditional support of Christian Palestineans living in Chile, and they live mostly in Recoleta. They have been supporting him for years, as he's the most prominent politician to come out of their community. He has been very active in taking Palestine's side in the conflict with Israel, as can be seen all over his Twitter and on most articles written about this. Example: https://twitter.com/danieljadue/status/ ... 0633162754

I'm not trying to point anything in favor or against Palestine, I'm just trying to point out a fact, BTW.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm

I was aware of his Palestinian connections, but didn't realize that Recoleta was a Palestinian area.

Anyway, I think we can move on from Jadue, he should be mostly out of the picture from now on.

Does anyone know the latest on what's going on with the centre left, ex-concertacion deciding their Presidential candidate? Or whether the lista del pueblo will have one?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Chile Twatter feeds FWIW say that Pamela Jiles will not run and so that means the next question is the DC and Provoste who is essentially a far leftist collaborator.
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm

So Boric - Provoste - Sichel - Kast in the first round?
Que será, será.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes glad that Pamela Jiles appears to be out, this is based on her own statements. Has said she was never really interested in the first place, which might be true, although is close to a contradiction of previous statements. She might have been just try to get some fame to help her post political career. On the other hand maybe she was interested, after all she´s only saying now that she isn´t really interested after her ratings crashed and burned. Never said any such thing when she was at the top of the polls.

I think we should remember how awful she has been incase she tries to make a comeback one day.

Jiles pulling out is good news for Boric I think, and bad news for Sichel, since it will be harder for Sichel to get into the final two if the votes are not split between as many candidates. Whereas it gives Boric a better chance of getting into the final two since he can pick up some would have been Jiles voters.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm
So just following my earlier post I`ve been reading a few articles today to bring myself up to speed.

I think the centre left (establishment left) coalition of Unidad Constituyente y Nuevo Trato-PL still has to choose between candidates that include Paula Narváez, Yasna Provoste and Carlos Maldonado.

I believe Yasna Provoste is perhaps the most likely of these three and Carlos Maldonado by far the least likely. This is just based on some media reports which may or may not be in the know but I don´t think Maldonado has the level of support or public profile as the other two.

I think Provoste needs to really confirm at this point she is going for it and they still need to sort out the exact process by which they are going to determine the candidate and between them all there is a feeling that they really should get on with getting this sorted now. Provoste is saying she is going to say something about the issue on Friday.

It seems they have all been getting a bit nervous today and last night because they think Boric and Sichel both have a better chance of appealing to centrist voters than Lavin and Jadue would have.

There is some more detail below.

https://www.elmostrador.cl/noticias/mul ... a-viernes/

https://www.pauta.cl/politica/unidad-co ... te-narvaez

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:36 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm
The other question here is whether La Lista del Pueblo, who got 16% of the vote in the constitution election, will have a candidate.

They seem to be sort of far left and apolitical at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Latest news:
Jorge Sharp prepara terreno para buscar “encuentro” entre independientes y Lista del Pueblo
https://www.eldinamo.cl/politica/2021/0 ... el-pueblo/

Here is their website.

Somos la Lista del Pueblo.
Somos el Pueblo, somos quienes hemos luchado toda la historia por obtener dignidad y justicia. Somos quienes hemos vivido y crecido en la inequidad y la desigualdad, somos quienes nos levantamos un 18 de Octubre para decir basta.
https://www.lalistadelpueblo.cl/somos/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm

the communist Party and the jadue supporters are saying they won't vote for boric, bla,bla. good.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 am

admin wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm
the communist Party and the jadue supporters are saying they won't vote for boric, bla,bla. good.
They should just write in Allende. You know for the symbology of it. Like how the constitution is bad cause of you know...the symbology of it

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Yasna Provoste has officially confirmed she will be a Presidential candidate.
2 minute video of her announcing: https://twitter.com/CHVNoticias/status/ ... 6492904456

As far as I can tell (which may be wrong as it´s not very clear at the moment and I haven´t looked into this in depth so I may have missed something) it looks likely there will be some sort of contest between her, Paula Narvaez and Maldonado, but the form and timing of the contest is still to be decided.

Alternatively, they may just unite around Provoste as one candidate and the others may back down and pull out with no contest. However, this looks less likely (?).

They really need to get on with sorting it out.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Getting crowded:

PRO enters in with MEO o Guillier.
Que será, será.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Right, so they agreed after my post yesterday that there will be a primary or consultation with public participation of some sort, but it looks like the specifics of that incuding the timing are not yet decided. This article has a good summary: https://www.t13.cl/noticia/elecciones-2 ... 23-07-2021