Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

otravers wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:43 pm
I got an order delivered today, there was no paperwork from Aduanas coming with it. How do I know whether import fees were collected or that I should get the prepaid amount reimbursed by Amazon?
You just have to trust them, it may take a couple of months sometimes but they do credit back what was not needed to get the product to your door.
Que será, será.

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm
You just have to trust them, it may take a couple of months sometimes but they do credit back what was not needed to get the product to your door.
OK, I doublechecked their policy and indeed you have to be patient:
If the actual Import Fees are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail confirming the amount of the refund. The refunds will be processed as and when we receive carrier invoices confirming the actual Import Fees. If carrier invoices are not received by 180 days from the ship date, you will automatically receive a refund for the full amount of Import Fees Deposit paid.

otravers

Post by otravers » Wed May 12, 2021 4:56 pm

I just checked my bank statement and I'm noticing discrepancies of a few dollars on a number of orders. It looks like the invoiced fee deposit is an estimate as the total charged to my credit card doesn't always match. I'm going to track this over the next couple of months as I've been binging on $50-$60 orders, I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised by the real total when the dust settles!

I've noticed that some products state "No import fee deposit" and can also benefit from the free shipping from $49 total, for instance:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GY1QYXP/

I've mixed such products with other that don't have that language but are eligible for the free shipping deal. I think the initial calculation for the fee deposit might miss those subtleties, while they might be applying more refined business logic when they actually charge your credit card.

I wonder if some brands took the trouble of properly documenting their certificates of origin to fully benefit from free trade agreements with Chile.

Once the average Chilean figures this out, this is really going to put the squeeze on the multi tiendas and crappy specialty retails (I'm looking at you PC Factory).

Edit: here's a useful tool to generate detailed reports of your Amazon orders, broken down by product, with shipping tracking numbers and carrier:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri May 14, 2021 5:22 pm

I have a few parcels now in Chile and according to Amazon's tracking they went through customs within a few hours. Weren't customs in Pudahel backlogged and taking sometimes weeks to process incoming parcels at some point in the past? Is this resolved for good, or is this ebbing and flowing based on how many imported they're processing at any given point?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 pm

edited out by the poster
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

otravers

Post by otravers » Sat May 15, 2021 12:43 pm

Believe it or not, some household supplies such as Scotch Brite sponges or Cascade dishwasher pods are available via free shipping, and because they're sold in large bundles (e.g. 9 sponges vs. 4 in Chile), the net delivered price per unit ends up being cheaper than buying from Chilean retailers. You can see that this still a poor country, what with selling yogurt by the unit. Anyway I wanted to set up a Subscribe & Save auto-delivery for consumables but sadly that's only available for US addresses.

We have Jumbo Prime which is a decent option to save time, however but the product selection is limited and availability at the time of delivery is iffy. I hope Amazon is going to add more eligible products as I value convenience more and more as I'm aging.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat May 15, 2021 2:10 pm

Sorry guys, I am removing the information I have posted to this topic, and I hope that all those interested have read everything to their benefit and education. I don't want to share it with more people.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks for posting Rune.
Que será, será.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat May 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Amazon are either having search engine problems now, or something else is going on.

I have some direct product links (from my shopping cart) and they do work.

However, 90% of the listings are no longer showing via Amazon search, regardless of selecting a US (Miami) or a Chile delivery address, or logout or login back.

"Not finding items that exist in the Amazon database due to searching glitches” is well known issue, with some cases documented on the Internet. Hopefully this is only temporary... {as hopefully temporary is everything else that continues to unfold around us, like some unstoppable monstrous bulldozer}

Please read a very insightful topic "Amazon search doesn’t search" on the seller central forums:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums ... /422890/34

El Presidente

Post by El Presidente » Sun May 16, 2021 3:09 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Thanks for posting Rune.
Yes second this thanks, appreciated it.
“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on. We’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY.” - President Thomas J. Whitmore

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Envelope-sized order placed on May 4 was delivered today May 17 in Concon by Chilexpress, delivered status was updated on Amazon.com within the hour. This free shipping thing is a game changer, at least until they rewrite the constitution to protect Chileans from evil foreign Kapitalists.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue May 18, 2021 1:33 pm

We all know the "Wayback Machine - Internet Archive" for the Internet, so the "3c" (camelcamelcamel) is a Wayback Machine for Amazon, incl. charted price histories, and much more. As this past weekend the primary Amazon search engine was down, intentionally or not (as it exposed 10% to 50% of the listings to a very high buying traffic while the others were invisible), and fully restored just late at night on Sunday, around 1:00 AM, the 3c could be used to find listings -- as it uses its extensive Amazon cache to search.

a direct link to an Amazon product looks thus: camelcamelcamel.com/product/{10-digit Amazon product code}

charted price history: charts.camelcamelcamel.com/us/{10-digit Amazon product code}/new.png?w=856&h=513