Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 pm

The title says it all. I got an email from Amazon letting me know they're now offering free shipping to Chile a few days back, but I haven't thought much about it. Skip forward to today, I noticed they're now shipping most items for free under their standard shipping option as long as you buy $49 or more.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

scandinavian

Re: Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

Post by scandinavian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 pm

I saw that in Diario Financiero, but do they specify any limits in terms of size and weight? What about import duties?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:01 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 pm
I saw that in Diario Financiero, but do they specify any limits in terms of size and weight? What about import duties?
It seems that duties are still due. I haven't done any research on product sizes. Eligible items have a "Free shipping" note on them, so there's that.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Yeah, I already calculated a potential order and any customs fee for that particular order which would be less than the original Amazon shipping.

So correct me if I'm wrong, if Aduanas doesn't just let it go (like they did a recent Ebay order for a health device at $50 + $58.88 shipping) it would be Aduanas dictated estimated original shipping plus cost of that minimum $49 dollar order with 6% then an additional 19% of that total

which should still be cheaper than the original Amazon shipping price...
Que será, será.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:19 am

edited out by the poster
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:02 am

Kiosclub and now this? What did we do to deserve this great windfall : )

proger

Post by proger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Im getting "but more than 35,000 clp to get envio gratis".
im I limited to buy only above that value? or can i pay it in the cart for free even if its less than 35,000?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 pm

edited out by the poster
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

DLPurser

Post by DLPurser » Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm

I've been looking thru some of the older posts regarding Amazon in Chile. I was trying to get a sense of how likely it is I would receive an order. Seems like it could be a hit or miss proposition. I was hoping to give it a try, but I never know if I'll even receive the electric bill let alone anything of any value. However, if missing items were a continuing problem I would think Amazon would do something about it. I live in Chillan and I don't recall ever seeing a DHL truck. Who delivers the shipment?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Never had an order go missing yet. Only had a slightly cosmetic finish damaged metal flashlight that was in a plastic shipping bag (normal for Amazon) without more protection except the factory blister pack to protect the head and switch. For the cheapest shipping option, DHL has used WSP for local delivery but recently all appear to be delivered by DHL here in San Antonio (no office here but the tracking always shows Valpo as the point where delivery is made from after clearing in Santiago).

The annoying thing is that every order ends up having the wrong final address (Santiago or another province in RM, most recent one was mysteriously set for El Monte where"El Top" was filmed). This appears to be a problem with Amazon's system when the data is transmitted to DHL. But it is always easily corrected online by the link given in the DHL tracking email.
Que será, será.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon May 03, 2021 1:56 pm

I second EEUU - I have made between 10-25 orders from Amazon during the last 2-3 years. Never lost a shipment. Had a product that wasn't what was advertised once, but Amazon promptly returned the money, even without me having to return the product.
All delivered by DHL (and have not had the issue EEUU mentions above)

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:02 pm

Is there a certain value above which you need to hire someone to process the paperwork to clear customs?

Can all payments be done on line?

Is delivery to your home/apt?

Many years ago i brought in a motorcycle part for $550 and had to pay duty at the bank and then go to the post office with the receipt to pick it up, after hiring an agent.

A major PITA.