Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue May 25, 2021 11:10 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm
Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
And I second your ranking. WSP is terrible- they promise delivery in the morning- same evening a new message says that it could not be delivered, even though I was at home the entire day....
DHL has always been faultless.
In the past, I had similar issues with WSP, but when they finally emailed me I called them out on their BS as I live live in a conserje entry controlled apartment complex where their claim of not being able to deliver was complete BS. After that, I never had a problem with WSP delivery (3-4 times) but since that time, the are no longer the delivery company for my location.
Que será, será.

otravers

Post by otravers » Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm

I ordered a couple shirts on May 14, they were shipped from the warehouse on May 17, delivered in Concon on May 25th. Meanwhile I have three orders with three different Chilean retailers that are going to take 3 to 4 weeks to be delivered for items supposedly in stock at the time of purchase.

There's a reason why Amazon, originally just a book retailer, rose to grab more than 50% of US ecommerce, the most competitive consumer market in the world. I can order pants in my exact size and get them in about 10 days, or I can pay more to a Chilean retailer, wait at least as much time for delivery, and then I'll have to waste time and money getting someone to shorten them since retailers outside of the US can't be bothered to stock length x waist combinations beyond small/medium/large (it's the same anti-consumer bullshit in Europe).

I'm pretty happy to see VTR is getting crushed by Entel and Movistar while Chilean retailers are going to get a good kick in the ass from Amazon. Couldn't happen to nicer companies.

proger

Post by proger » Thu May 27, 2021 6:07 pm

TRUE

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am

I just got a notification from DHL that I had to fill in some forms with the ISPCH government agency to import $24 worth of eye drops for dry eyes. The form includes compulsory fields about a prescribing MD. In other words you can't import the most basic over-the-counter stuff without a prescription!

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon May 31, 2021 12:01 pm

I received my order today. The estimated delivery date had been the 28th. It came by WSP.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon May 31, 2021 12:11 pm

otravers wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am
I just got a notification from DHL that I had to fill in some forms with the ISPCH government agency to import $24 worth of eye drops for dry eyes. The form includes compulsory fields about a prescribing MD. In other words you can't import the most basic over-the-counter stuff without a prescription!
I think this has been talked about before a few years ago. One of the reasons most people try to get drugs and supplements though iHerb is because they send stuff through regular mail, which isn't always checked by customs. If they do check it, they will 100% ask for a prescription for most stuff.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon May 31, 2021 1:06 pm

gringalais wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:01 pm
I received my order today. The estimated delivery date had been the 28th. It came by WSP.
If not "FREE" -- you could request the postage to be refunded (which Amazon usually would do -- 3 days of delay is a good reason).

Please tell, was the "Local Tracking" number on the SkyPostal tracker site traceable on the WSP site?

{
https://tracking.skypostal.com/single-t ... SPONxxxxxx

http://web.wspexpress.cl/track
}

My only WSP item is showing "cleared" on 27th with no further progress. The "local" number is showing nothing on the wsp site.
- How does one cross a river?
- Don't get your feet wet.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 31, 2021 4:50 pm

Order arrived 9 days early. First Amazon delivery by Chilexpress for me. Rapid and without problems Santiago to Llolleo.
Que será, será.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Mon May 31, 2021 5:02 pm

It was free shipping. Thanks for the tip, though, Rune. I will keep it in mind for the future.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 am

otravers wrote:
Yes, very frustrating if your vitamins or eyedrops, etc get stuck in the bureaucratic crosshairs of pharma-customs

I'd like to see a reform where this insanity is quelled. There has got to be a better way than imposing prescription requirements for products that are not prescription products.
Heck even make yet another tax for this category of products. At least paying that tax would possible! As opposed to getting a prescription for something that is not prescribed.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 am

My shipment shows up on both the sites you linked, Rune. It looks like the delay was because it was sent to the Rancagua agency first and then sent back up this way.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm

mem wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 am
otravers wrote:
Yes, very frustrating if your vitamins or eyedrops, etc get stuck in the bureaucratic crosshairs of pharma-customs

I'd like to see a reform where this insanity is quelled. There has got to be a better way than imposing prescription requirements for products that are not prescription products.
Heck even make yet another tax for this category of products. At least paying that tax would possible! As opposed to getting a prescription for something that is not prescribed.
It is clearly a full court press by the aduanas. The last time I passed through customs at SCL the aduanas attempted to confiscate all of my medications both prescribed and over the counter. They advised me that I would have to obtain prescriptions for the meds and then they would release them.
I tried to explain that paper prescriptions no longer exist in New York, and that the physicians fax prescriptions directly to the pharmacies. I also showed them that all of the prescription info is printed directly on each label on each bottle. They would not accept that.
I eventually convinced them to let me pass with my meds as I live in patagonia and these meds are critical for me ( blood pressure).
How exactly one goes about finding a doctor to write a prescription for medications that do not exist in Chile and were dispensed in a foreign country is beyond my ability to comprehend.
In the subsequent time since, I found a physician in Chile who was able to prescribe equivalent meds available locally.
The upside was the precriptions here now cost me a fraction of what my copay was in eeuu.
Of course still totally screwed for vitamins and over the counter.