Re: Amazon now offers free shipping to Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm
mem wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 am
otravers wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am
I just got a notification from DHL that I had to fill in some forms with the ISPCH government agency to import $24 worth of eye drops for dry eyes. The form includes compulsory fields about a prescribing MD. In other words you can't import the most basic over-the-counter stuff without a prescription!
Yes, very frustrating if your vitamins or eyedrops, etc get stuck in the bureaucratic crosshairs of pharma-customs

I'd like to see a reform where this insanity is quelled. There has got to be a better way than imposing prescription requirements for products that are not prescription products.
Heck even make yet another tax for this category of products. At least paying that tax would possible! As opposed to getting a prescription for something that is not prescribed.
It is clearly a full court press by the aduanas. The last time I passed through customs at SCL the aduanas attempted to confiscate all of my medications both prescribed and over the counter. They advised me that I would have to obtain prescriptions for the meds and then they would release them.
I tried to explain that paper prescriptions no longer exist in New York, and that the physicians fax prescriptions directly to the pharmacies. I also showed them that all of the prescription info is printed directly on each label on each bottle. They would not accept that.
I eventually convinced them to let me pass with my meds as I live in patagonia and these meds are critical for me ( blood pressure).
How exactly one goes about finding a doctor to write a prescription for medications that do not exist in Chile and were dispensed in a foreign country is beyond my ability to comprehend.
In the subsequent time since, I found a physician in Chile who was able to prescribe equivalent meds available locally.
The upside was the precriptions here now cost me a fraction of what my copay was in eeuu.
Of course still totally screwed for vitamins and over the counter.
Anyone with recent experience at SCL bringing in lots of supplements? In the past (two years since I last traveled to the States), it was not an issue.
Que será, será.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:42 pm

No issue for me at SCL, either, the first week of February 2020. I had at least 10 large bottles in my suitcases. Last week I was getting ready to have a couple bottles of vitamins sent to me along with an Rx that is not available in Chile but this thread has me inclined towards limiting the shipment to the Rx. I received the same Rx earlier this year via UPS and the shipment arrived in 48 hours. I didn't expect that a 20+ year old, inexpensive Rx medicine would not be available here. An expensive example of 'never assume'.

okemillett

Post by okemillett » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 am

So I am giving this a test run.

I have ordered from Amazon in the past, and apart from it being crazy expensive with shipping and import fees, it has always worked out OK, with packages arriving to the door.

With the new 'free' shipping, I placed 2 orders, about 8 items in each order.

What was interesting for me was that while shopping, when I went to checkout, it showed the 'regular' shipping price (crazy high) and then I had the option to select the 'free' shipping tickbox which dramatically reduced the order (by about 50%).

The orders have now been shipped, but apparently to 16 items have been divided into 9 different packages, each showing delivery dates between June 17 and June 22. (I am to receive 5 separate packages all on June 21st, each with a separate tracker, for example).

Will be interesting to see what I get, how I get it, and with how much headache (if the packages come to the door, or if I have to collect at some central location).

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm

My last order came as two separate packages but both via Chilexpress. Tracking showed one would be delivered a day before the other but Chilexpress fortunately put both on the same delivery vehicle that day. All in all, eight days earlier than the promised delivery date.
Que será, será.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm

I placed an order from amazon on 7 May, with an estimated delivery date of 28 May. The package was shipped via DHL and arrived on 1 June. I was able to track the package throughout the process. No surprises with aduanas and the shipping charges were waived AFTER the customs duty charges.
Juxtapose this with an order I wanted to place for a "mattress in a box" from a major retailer in Santiago. For a mattress ,which they have in stock, the estimated delivery date is 1 september 2021. That is 90 days to ship a package from Santiago Chile to Puerto Aysen Chile. I assume the shipping from Santiago is being conducted via pack train and clipper ship. :lol:
Amazon shows a similar mattress which if shipped from the United States, has an estimated delivery date of 28 June, 2021. That is 25 days from a different hemisphere.
Unfortunately no free shipping to Chile for this item.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm
I placed an order from amazon on 7 May, with an estimated delivery date of 28 May. The package was shipped via DHL and arrived on 1 June. I was able to track the package throughout the process. No surprises with aduanas and the shipping charges were waived AFTER the customs duty charges.
Juxtapose this with an order I wanted to place for a "mattress in a box" from a major retailer in Santiago. For a mattress ,which they have in stock, the estimated delivery date is 1 september 2021. That is 90 days to ship a package from Santiago Chile to Puerto Aysen Chile. I assume the shipping from Santiago is being conducted via pack train and clipper ship. :lol:
Amazon shows a similar mattress which if shipped from the United States, has an estimated delivery date of 28 June, 2021. That is 25 days from a different hemisphere.
Unfortunately no free shipping to Chile for this item.
I'm in a similar predicament. A sofa shipped from Amazon is going to cost me slightly more than buying it in Chile, but they'll deliver it 60 days faster. I'm seriously tempted. :lol:
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

proger

Post by proger » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:16 am

the thing is its not so FREE. as they si o si gonna charge you with that importacion iva, on EVERY single product added to total cart.
even if its under the 23,000clp treshold !
most of the stuff you can at the same price or less at ALI EXPRESS, importacion iva FREE, also above 100$ purchases in my experiences...

so as for now, if i can get it on Ali express ill go with that.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:07 am

It is clearly a full court press by the aduanas. The last time I passed through customs at SCL the aduanas attempted to confiscate all of my medications both prescribed and over the counter. They advised me that I would have to obtain prescriptions for the meds and then they would release them.
Meanwhile you can't go to any beach at any time (at least here in Concon) without being exposed to pungent industrial-grade marijuana smells, yet the pacos are apparently oblivious to that.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 am

Spudzilla wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Yup, I ordered one of these in February and it arrived two months later. Small parcels are delivered swiftly but anything bulky now take weeks to months to get delivered.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am

proger wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:16 am
most of the stuff you can at the same price or less at ALI EXPRESS, importacion iva FREE, also above 100$ purchases in my experiences...

so as for now, if i can get it on Ali express ill go with that.
Correct, Amazon won't lie about item value but many sellers on Aliexpress have no qualms doing so. That said Amazon is much faster.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:26 am

okemillett wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 am
Will be interesting to see what I get, how I get it, and with how much headache (if the packages come to the door, or if I have to collect at some central location).
I'm closing in on 100 orders in the past month as I had a huge backlog of stuff I wanted to buy, and it remains too uncertain when I'll be able to travel to US next. Most of that stuff has been delivered without a hitch, including a mini PC and a small touch screen. A couple of orders were damaged during travel, I got informed and reimbursed at it happened and just reordered the same stuff. The only noticeable hiccup was on the eyedrop BS I posted about earlier. Chilexpress has been the fastest, somehow with DHL it feels like things always formally go through customs.

In contrast I wasted an hour yesterday to buy just a few items at the local ferretería which is still as pathetic as I remembered it. I have pledged to myself to research even small purchases well, anticipate as much as I can, and order on Amazon anytime it's even the same price as Chilean retail. Life is too short and I can't wait for these fuckers to get their act together, ample opportunity was given.

Even with taxes it's still worth it as these costs are obviously also baked in local prices. But for convenience and product selection it's really night and day, even though only a fraction of Amazon is eligible for free shipping to Chile. Want to organize and tidy up your home? Tough luck, Chilean retailers barely understand that's a category (which is not a surprise given the ungodly mess that is most Chilean homes).

okemillett

Post by okemillett » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

So my anecdotal experience with the 'new' and 'free' shipping from Amazon.

- My two orders got broken down into 9 packages with separate tracking, some with DHL, some with Chile express. Orders made May 30 and 31, expected arrival dates June 17 - 22.

- First package arrived June 8th to my door, Chileexpress. Dog toys. Sailed through without any problems.
- Second package arrived at Aduanas, and was held up for a Seremi inspection. I then cancelled the order with Amazon, because I was quoted 10,900 pesos in fees to process the Seremi nonsense and was expected to produce all sorts of paperwork (like the nutritional information of what I had ordered.) The commodity in question: Maraschino Cherries. (OK - I like a Manhattan.) Lesson learned - don't order food from Amazon - at least until Amazon figures out a way to convince Chile its safe to bring in processed foods.

Waiting on the others. So far so good. Has anyone had any experience trying to bring over the counter medicines in by Amazon? I want some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for my allergies which for some reason is not available here in Chile. I can get it through Amazon, but don't want another Seremi nightmare. I know if I arrived at the airport with a couple of bottles, no one would care. But apparently packages are getting all the scrutiny at the moment.