How to become fluent in Spanish

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 am

ghibli wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:14 am
Try a construction project if available and you're brave.
Encouraging someone to learn Spanish by talking to maestros in a construction project seems like a sure way to be ripped and to lose a lot of money.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:05 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:21 pm
passport wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Partner who speaks only Spanish - helpful, but most helpful if they constantly correct you. If they just let the mistakes pass because they understood what your poor Spanish meant - not so helpful.
Naaaa, that is not the way it works.

I tell my wife what I want. she tells everyone else.

If I said it, no matter how perfectly I said it, some chilean was going to just look at her anyway and ask what I said.

This way I cut out the middle man (me).

:lol:
WOW, so true, that's the way it works for me también.
Que será, será.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:12 pm

To start with I travelled around South America for 3.5 months while reading a book "Learn Spanish in 3 months."

I really made progress to an advanced level when I lived in Spain for a year and a half with a full immersion. That´s when I went from basic to advanced.

I did teach English and hang out with other English teachers, but I made a point of only living with Spanish speakers. I was also living with my future Chilean wife by this point (but we shared a flat there, not having our own flat). I bought a book "Breaking Out of Beginner´s Spanish" by Joseph Keenan, and later a text book for advanced Spanish which I learned on my own at home. I often worked Monday to Thursday or Friday only in the mornings and then I would get a newspaper once a week on Friday and read it through. Also TV, DVDs, socializing, bits of travel.

I also read novels even literary novels like an Isabel Allende in Spanish. I am not sure if that is a good idea because my reading speed in Spanish was about a tenth of English so it used to take my forever to learn to finish the book. And there are a huge number of words that appear in literary novels that I noted down and never heard anyone say and then forgot.

I think you go on hot dates or nights out with fast group conversations but you also study a book of verb tables or grammar, that is the key. You need a bit of both.

I was never sure about with or without subtitles but I think you have to start with but you try to make the transition away from it.

I have to say though I have never got an accent or been able to fully fit in linguistic wise or claimed fluency. I found that once I got an advanced level it was hard to push towards fluency. I went to an advanced group class in Santiago a few years back and I was just too far ahead of everyone else to make it worth it, but I still felt well off fluent.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:10 am

You need to define fluent, for me to answer correctly. If fluent to you means having a conversation and understanding roughly 60-70% of what is being said that will take about 1 year of studying 1 hour a day and speaking Spanish the majority of the time during that year. If fluent to you means speaking extremely well and understanding roughly 85-95% of the conversation this will take roughly 5-10 years with the first two years requiring roughly 1 hour of studying everyday.

I recommend reading books out loud in Spanish. It helps even more if you get the books on tape in Spanish and can listen.

You need to understand that it is nearly impossible to speak Spanish to a level of a native speaker if you didn't grow up speaking the language. I have spoken fluent Spanish for 10 years and I would say I am only at 85%. I also recommend just giving up on trying to learn the accent. Focus on grammar and vocabulary.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Music and podcasts in Spanish do wonders because it's acquisition "in background". I like the podcast Entiende Tu Mente a lot: it's a bit advanced and the hosts are Spaniards, but the topics are interesting enough to not phase out. There're lots of other podcasts available for free on Spotify.

chilly

Post by chilly » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:49 am

At your current level, are you able to “hear” and comprehend almost every Spanish word that you are listening to? I’m not talking about understanding what the overall meaning is immediately but more of the ability to transcribe what was said? I think that good hearing and knowing the words spoken is the first step. If you can’t, work on that more. It is the foundation, IME.

Real fluency is lots of work as previously described. If you are OK with fooling most people, write general scripts of general topics about yourself in Spanish and practice them. Get good at it and people you meet will think you are OK and less likely to treat you as a totally ignorant foreigner. It is surprising how many people say the same thing again and again and give the appearance of being a good conversationalist.

I was good at bringing up the various points that I read of tourist attractions while simultaneously discussing various points about it. I then ask their opinion on it. I seemed to be very knowledgeable with a good command of the language. Making a good initial impression is usually important.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 pm

I just had a read/flick through my copy of “Breaking Out of Beginner´s Spanish" by Joseph Keenan, about the 4th or 5th time I´ve read through this book, and realized I already know it all by now - at least in theory - so time to move on the book.

This is the best book for learning Spanish I´ve ever had. If anyone wants this book and is in Chile, you can have it for 5,000 pesos plus postage (max 10,000 total). PM me your address. You can pay after it arrives (provided you´ve already posted on this forum at least once before I posted this, if not you can pay in advance).

The book is in fairly poor condition with creases and some handwritten notes on the first page. It´s written by a native English speaker who explains trickster words and common mistakes and it´s fun and easy to read.

If you are a beginner or intermediate level speaker trying to get to advanced/fluent, it´s gold. You should already have at least basic Spanish and have studied some grammar before reading it and know most of the major conjugations of most of the main verbs. The book works as a companion piece to studying grammar or doing a course, you can´t use it to learn Spanish on its own.

However, the book is mostly global Spanish and 5-10% of it mostly the slang and swear words is specific to Mexico. 5%-10% is stuff not used in Chile but this stuff is not wrong here, just not common. There is nothing specific to Chile.

I have 10th edition (2004) but on Amazon you can buy 20th edition (2015) for $14 Kindle/$20 paperback. I doubt you can buy it in Chile (?).

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 pm
I just had a read/flick through my copy of “Breaking Out of Beginner´s Spanish" by Joseph Keenan, about the 4th or 5th time I´ve read through this book, and realized I already know it all by now - at least in theory - so time to move on the book.

This is the best book for learning Spanish I´ve ever had. If anyone wants this book and is in Chile, you can have it for 5,000 pesos plus postage (max 10,000 total). PM me your address. You can pay after it arrives (provided you´ve already posted on this forum at least once before I posted this, if not you can pay in advance).

The book is in fairly poor condition with creases and some handwritten notes on the first page. It´s written by a native English speaker who explains trickster words and common mistakes and it´s fun and easy to read.

If you are a beginner or intermediate level speaker trying to get to advanced/fluent, it´s gold. You should already have at least basic Spanish and have studied some grammar before reading it and know most of the major conjugations of most of the main verbs. The book works as a companion piece to studying grammar or doing a course, you can´t use it to learn Spanish on its own.

However, the book is mostly global Spanish and 5-10% of it mostly the slang and swear words is specific to Mexico. 5%-10% is stuff not used in Chile but this stuff is not wrong here, just not common. There is nothing specific to Chile.

I have 10th edition (2004) but on Amazon you can buy 20th edition (2015) for $14 Kindle/$20 paperback. I doubt you can buy it in Chile (?).
I'm pretty confident that I once had that book as a teenager (around 15 years ago).

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:05 pm

There used to be a radio prog on the BBC entitled “does he take sugar?”, a phrase which sums up the frustration of physically disabled people who are quite capable of conducting a conversation, but are often referred to in the third party. I get that feeling here every day. Once a Gringo, always a Gringo.

Anyhow, the local vocabulary contains a lot of "coa", which all Chileans use, but not in formal situations. Flaites use it a lot, eg "No manejáis juevón, estai cura'o"

So does being "fluent" include that as well?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge