How to become fluent in Spanish

General topics related to Living in Chile
andreas.brill
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 am

How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by andreas.brill » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 am

OMG, it's been two years since I started learning Spanish! :oops: Sadly, I am still far from speaking fluently, yet even a level which I would feel comfortable with. My native language is German. I also speak English and French, both learned in school :idea: . I am trying very hard to become fluent in Spanish, I tried the following:
  • Duolingo (made it to 20.000 xp in Spanish :lol: )
  • private teacher for about two months, one hour - twice a week
  • speaking in public whenever I can (e.g. at La Vega, restaurants, cafes, offices, etc.)
  • watched Netflix only in Spanish with Spanish subtitles
  • a couple of lessons on SpanishPod101 and other podcasts
As I said, I am still far away from being fluent but I won't give up. I am looking forward to reading what worked for you ;-)

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am

andreas.brill wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 am


I am looking forward to reading what worked for you ;-)
Being 17 when I learnt it, :lol:
I know that doesn't help, but I have heard there is still a doorway open in the brain at that age that makes it easier. Apparently it gets harder as you get older.
Watching programmes in Spanish and listening to it spoken a lot are the best ways I think though. All the best, takes time and practice, oh getting mildly drunk and talking to people helps too :D .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

andreas.brill
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 am

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by andreas.brill » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:09 am

41southchile wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am
andreas.brill wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 am


I am looking forward to reading what worked for you ;-)
Being 17 when I learnt it, :lol:
I know that doesn't help, but I have heard there is still a doorway open in the brain at that age that makes it easier. Apparently it gets harder as you get older.
Watching programmes in Spanish and listening to it spoken a lot are the best ways I think though. All the best, takes time and practice, oh getting mildly drunk and talking to people helps too :D .
I am about to turn 30, noooo! Yes, getting mildly drunk helps, I can confirm that. Somehow forgot to put it on the list :-D Any programmes you recommend? Most of those I tried are either too low level for me, or way too high.

scandinavian
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by scandinavian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am

Intensive course - ie 4-5 hours / day for 5 days a week either one-on-one or in a small group. For a month or so.
Going to Peru for a while.
Getting a Spanish speaking girlfriend / boyfriend that doesn't speak English

andreas.brill
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 am

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by andreas.brill » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:27 am

scandinavian wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am
Intensive course - ie 4-5 hours / day for 5 days a week either one-on-one or in a small group. For a month or so.
Going to Peru for a while.
Getting a Spanish speaking girlfriend / boyfriend that doesn't speak English
Why Peru? Is their Spanish better? :lol:

Donnybrook2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by Donnybrook2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:51 am

andreas.brill wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:27 am
scandinavian wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am
Intensive course - ie 4-5 hours / day for 5 days a week either one-on-one or in a small group. For a month or so.
Going to Peru for a while.
Getting a Spanish speaking girlfriend / boyfriend that doesn't speak English
Why Peru? Is their Spanish better? :lol:

Yes. The countries where the Spanish boot landed hardest have the Spanish most like that spoken in Spain. Countries like Chile were not of much interest to the Spaniards and the Spanish has been corrupted by immigrants from a variety of countries influencing it. So Perú, Colombia, Ecuador have the purest Spanish with few local additions. Chile is a minefield of "Chilean" words. But the Spanish taught in a good language school will be the same everywhere, you just hear more or less of it on the street.

I learned when I was 16, a very long time ago. I learned in Perú. I had no formal classes but had to learn to speak Spanish to be able to communicate. That is the key: using it. The more you use it the better it will get. My spoken Spanish is still better than my written Spanish as I never took a lesson.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24172
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by admin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am

marry a native Spanish speaker. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bones
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: San Pedro de la Paz

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by bones » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Partner who speaks only Spanish, as others have said.

Roommates who only speak Spanish, or who speak other languages but the common language of the apartment/house is Spanish.

passport
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 11:39 pm
Location: USA

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by passport » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Partner who speaks only Spanish - helpful, but most helpful if they constantly correct you. If they just let the mistakes pass because they understood what your poor Spanish meant - not so helpful.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24172
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by admin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:21 pm

passport wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Partner who speaks only Spanish - helpful, but most helpful if they constantly correct you. If they just let the mistakes pass because they understood what your poor Spanish meant - not so helpful.
Naaaa, that is not the way it works.

I tell my wife what I want. she tells everyone else.

If I said it, no matter how perfectly I said it, some chilean was going to just look at her anyway and ask what I said.

This way I cut out the middle man (me).

:lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ghibli
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by ghibli » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:14 am

necessity. Watch the local news on television. Try a construction project if available and you're brave. Encourage people to correct you. Add one idiom and one new word every morning with coffee. Peruvians speak a lovely spanish. Venezuelans as well and they can be helpful. Chat up the people at the ferias. As for chilenos/as, yes the women seem to speak as if everything is a question. Don't know why. And for those chilenos who
pretend not to understand me when I know I have spoken correctly, lately I've been turning the table. I ask them if they speak spanish. Hahahaha.

There is a terrific book of idioms put out by Barrons. Probably you would need to order from the us or uk, but worth it. Alas, one can't go there now, but Mendoza has lots of book stores with dual language novels - the classics. Very helpful. Chilenos seem less curious about language/literature. There's a lot of chat about the Poetas, but how many are actually read...

When all else fails, smile.

Zenth
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:16 pm
Location: Austin, Texas Formerly NYC, NY

Re: How to become fluent in Spanish

Post by Zenth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am

Why bother? Just lean to say "Let go of my net" in Mandarin.

Post Reply