No zinc roofing in stores?

General topics related to Living in Chile
orneryhermit

No zinc roofing in stores?

Post by orneryhermit » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Recently, I was shopping for zinc roofing around the Villarrica-Pucon area. I was amazed that Eltit and Sodimac were completely out, save for a few odd pieces here and there. Imperial in Temuco has no stock. Anyone have any info on why this is so? Haven't seen any news on the internet about this.

admin
Site Admin

Re: No zinc roofing in stores?

Post by admin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 pm

The supply chains are so disrupted, last time I went to sodimac they were out of most everything and what they had, the prices were jacked up a good 20 to 30% over normal prepandemic prices. I finally walked out buying almost nothing. The place was packed. not worth risking my life for nothing. That was the puerto montt sodimac.

A maestro I know had recently gone to the sodimac in osorno and said the same thing.

I also noticed however on amazon that a lot of things were out of stock for like 30+ days.

Might be disruptions around the Christmas season.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:45 am

The national stock ended up being used for door and window protection rather than roofing.
Zinc and sheet steel protections are still being fitted.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 am

orneryhermit wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm
Recently, I was shopping for zinc roofing around the Villarrica-Pucon area. I was amazed that Eltit and Sodimac were completely out, save for a few odd pieces here and there. Imperial in Temuco has no stock. Anyone have any info on why this is so? Haven't seen any news on the internet about this.
Yeah pretty much everything is in short supply, its a combination of factors, from supply chain disruption to increased demand, its not a good tine for building anything at the moment, unless you are a patient person and can handle the delays. It appears to be a worldwide problem. I guess you cant just shut down everything or run them at half capacity for months on end and not expect some consequences.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:45 am
The national stock ended up being used for door and window protection rather than roofing.
Zinc and sheet steel protections are still being fitted.
Good point. And they will still need them for a long time to come yet🙄

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 am

Apart from no materiales and lack of productd, any tramite you want to do now, will now take 10 times as long most likely, notaria, registro civil, banks etc have lines outside them that look like Eastern Europe in the communist years.

passport

Post by passport » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Another explanation I heard recently is that the empresas are scooping up big or whole lots of stuff as it comes in - well funded as they are and able to read the writing on the wall. Makes it tough for the little guys.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 pm

passport wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Another explanation I heard recently is that the empresas are scooping up big or whole lots of stuff as it comes in - well funded as they are and able to read the writing on the wall. Makes it tough for the little guys.
not really.

There was someone recently in in interview that said wait. If you need to make a large purchase, and have the time, wait (for most anything).

there is a supply disruption. everyone is raising prices. every manufacturer is scrambling to take advantage of the price spike. the market will be flooded with too many and too much, too soon.

this us not the zombie apocalypse,yet; the global supply chains are going to need time to adjust.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm

so seems automakers around the world are being forced to dial back production due to a shortage of microchips.

https://www.inquirer.com/cars/semicondu ... 10112.html

seems there was a sudden surge related to demand for consumer electronics, right at the time cars demand dropped off; now car demand is surging, leaving them short of microchips.